TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12
 Post subject: Re: Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
when they put caution for overtime I thought the clownshow was ready to take him away this honor, but he did a masterclass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

To be fair... I want to see NASCAR move to more of a 50/50 schedule. Lighten the cars up and let them make some adjustments so they're more nimble.

Imagine out of a 36 race schedule, 16 are on road/street courses, 20 ovals, a 3000lbs car without any engine restrictions (roughly 800HP.) Or... When the hybrid comes in... 650HP ICE with a 150HP Hybrid System.

Leave the 4 Plate races, Coke 600, Southern 500, Bristol 1, Wilkes 1, Richmond 1, Martinsville 1 and then pick 10 from the rest for the ovals.

NASCAR has already lost the old die-hard fans... If they're going to change everything, might just as well reinvent what the series is. If they want new fans to fill those stands, then reimagine what the series is and create something new.

I actually quite liked that race and I thought for sure it would be a disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
is the Burke Lakefront Airport still up for racing? Could be good to host Indy and Cup series at the same weekend

I don't mind seeing drivers pulling dumb moves on a wider track

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

westracing01 wrote:
To be fair... I want to see NASCAR move to more of a 50/50 schedule. Lighten the cars up and let them make some adjustments so they're more nimble.

Imagine out of a 36 race schedule, 16 are on road/street courses, 20 ovals, a 3000lbs car without any engine restrictions (roughly 800HP.) Or... When the hybrid comes in... 650HP ICE with a 150HP Hybrid System.

Leave the 4 Plate races, Coke 600, Southern 500, Bristol 1, Wilkes 1, Richmond 1, Martinsville 1 and then pick 10 from the rest for the ovals.

NASCAR has already lost the old die-hard fans... If they're going to change everything, might just as well reinvent what the series is. If they want new fans to fill those stands, then reimagine what the series is and create something new.

It might be because of the conditions but it did feel like these cars were back to being overpowered beasts with too much power for the drivers to try and wrestle around a tiny course, like when we all started watching, instead of them continually having their HP numbers reduced on the ovals

I'm sure NASCAR will be cutting power and adding more aero for road courses too before too long, it seems inevitable, but yesterday it seemed to be a real driver's race and that gave me old school vibes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lack of grip with the rain & the track surface was the key ingredient in making that race awesome from the on-track perspective

LucasWheldon wrote:
is the Burke Lakefront Airport still up for racing? Could be good to host Indy and Cup series at the same weekend

I don't mind seeing drivers pulling dumb moves on a wider track

it's still there, but there's been plenty of talk about the city wanting to shut it down & redevelop the land

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:

they gotta figure out how to reinvent themselves a little bit further on a logistics side too. I feel like if they can get some proper "1 day" shows (where load in/setup/tech, hot laps, qual & race were all the same day) - it would be a big help I feel (considering that they reverted back to 3-4 days at a track post-COVID despite only being on track for like 2 of them).

Hell with Cup running spec chassis & sealed engines now as it is - might as well make a slot or 2 in the car/chassis fleets where it's suited for races with "pre-travel" impound; where they skip pre-race tech at the track entirely & have it done at the R&D Center prior to any travel days. Not saying that should be the case for a crown jewel type event - but it would be perfect to make a 1 day show be more feasible at a Cup level, help cut some time back for street races or where there's multiple travel days to get the equipment to the track (singular weekends on the west coast like Sonoma, LA Coliseum; and then also helps with doing stuff like overseas races too)

-

If it was me, make every track only have 1 race weekend a year. Mix that with some 1 day shows for some of these events & you could open a ton more possibilities on the schedule (thus room for a little bit of everything). Could also make the schedule "more loaded" in a sense while also giving the industry some more (and much needed) off time / off weeks at the same time.

If they wanna have 2+ races - then I think Supercars, INDYCAR (Iowa or previously Detroit) or BTCC have a good blueprint on how to go about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think this race went well because the drivers respected the track. Once they get used to it, they will stop respecting it and that's when yakety sax happens and how people get hurt.

It should be more of a novelty than a regular occurrence, imo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

westracing01 wrote:

I think for the health of the series, this will gradually be the direction they go

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:45 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I don't like NASCAR losing its identity. It currently still is the premiere oval racing series in the world but the more it gets away from that, the less relevant it becomes. Next year if this race happens, the drivers will arrive more prepared and the chaos will subside and we're left with another parade of cars. Cole Custer was going to lead the xfinity race flag to flag baring a mistake in the pits. Haley pit strategied himself to the lead and no one could pass him, even Dillion who seemed to be faster. I don't know where SVG found the speed but the entire field was running 1:31:00 laps when he was doing 1:29:00. That showed how behind NASCAR drivers are in what's essentially a spec car.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer612008 wrote:
If it was me, make every track only have 1 race weekend a year. Mix that with some 1 day shows for some of these events & you could open a ton more possibilities on the schedule (thus room for a little bit of everything). Could also make the schedule "more loaded" in a sense while also giving the industry some more (and much needed) off time / off weeks at the same time.

I'd love to see that too for the variety it would give us, but ovals will die with one race a year. They're not set up to host as wide a variety of events as road courses, and they need the cash that repeat NASCAR visits bring. Really, most of the tracks with 2 cup dates are barely hanging on as it is. We'd probably end up with a lot more Coliseum events in repurposed stadiums.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gis to NASCAR in '24 confirmed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:

So you want Supercars with a few ovals then?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
westracing01 wrote:

So you want Supercars with a few ovals then?

Yes, yes I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Bring back the Thunderdome!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:30 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:

Imagine the race set ups

Thunderdome (anti-clockwise)
Thunderdome (clockwise, yeah they used to do that)
Thunderdome with Road Course
Road Course Only

Shame the nimby's and snakes have ruined that part of the world

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i remember seeing clips on the old tbk of holdens (the 80s looking cars) racing at the thunderdome with the occasional flip, looked so fun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
racer612008 wrote:

I'd love to see that too for the variety it would give us, but ovals will die with one race a year. They're not set up to host as wide a variety of events as road courses, and they need the cash that repeat NASCAR visits bring. Really, most of the tracks with 2 cup dates are barely hanging on as it is. We'd probably end up with a lot more Coliseum events in repurposed stadiums.

I don't think that would be the complete case. Decent chunk of the schedules across the 3 major sanctioning bodies in the States (both ovals & road courses) has pivoted towards doing more events outside of racing anyway

I know single dates at all tracks won't ever happen tho (most fans wouldn't be happy if the plate tracks lost dates; and Las Vegas has a contract with the city that requires 2 Cup races through like 2036 or some deal), and sure there's a few tracks I like seeing 2 dates at too - but still think the health of the sport would be far greater if it was 1 date per track (or venue as a whole).

codename_47 wrote:

I mean there was a half ass rumor not all that long ago that Repco wanted to rebuild the place (which is owned by the parent company that also sponsors a car in NASCAR)

would probably need a company like that, or another private group to back it tho - considering Victoria state government is more interested in a new track in Avalon & the F1 race at Albert Park (as expected)

but with that said, the Jane's is trying to get the rest of the Calder complex back up to good standards (albeit at a slow pace as it's all private backed) on the dragstrip / road course / drifting ends so I'd never say never.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I’m quiet surprised Dan Andrews hasn’t compulsory purchased the track and turned it into some open spaces park thing, for someone who appears to hate anybody having any sort of fun he seems to like motorsport for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan "get on the beers" Andrews doesn't like fun? Considering the opposition still like the vibe of a good old lynching, people here generally see Dan as the more relatable option.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:42 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ian-S wrote:
I’m quiet surprised Dan Andrews hasn’t compulsory purchased the track and turned it into some open spaces park thing, for someone who appears to hate anybody having any sort of fun he seems to like motorsport for some reason.

Huh?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12