TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:11 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Yeah, they did the right thing here. Considering that this should've been the punishment Noah Gragson, Ty Gibbs, and William Byron gets, this sends a clear message that what Bubba did crossed the line.

All I ask for is that this is the standard going forward, but I'm not naive enough to believe they'll commit to it.

Side note: they only took action on the wreck, not the one-sided shoving "match". Which is fine by me. He didn't throw punches, after all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Some people were also up in arms about him "putting hands on" the official. But all he really did was flick the guy's hand away. Another non-issue that I'm glad NASCAR didn't bother with.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Side note: they only took action on the wreck, not the one-sided shoving "match". Which is fine by me. He didn't throw punches, after all.

I get the impression that being clear about what this penalty is for is their attempt to walk the tightrope on their treatment of previous incidents. I suppose it's a good thing that they have made a statement about driving standards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bare minimum frankly only done to avoid potential backlash. If NASCAR was consistent it would have been a huge fine, points deduction and at least a two race ban (because of where and when it was), the fine and points penalty is consistent with other stuff like that this year for intentional wrecking and the ban about right for doing it at one of the fastest tracks on the calendar mere hours after an emergency meeting to try and address the serious safety issues the car has.

The “apology statement” from him is laughable at best and tells you he won’t learn from this at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Bare minimum frankly only done to avoid potential backlash. If NASCAR was consistent it would have been a huge fine, points deduction and at least a two race ban (because of where and when it was), the fine and points penalty is consistent with other stuff like that this year for intentional wrecking and the ban about right for doing it at one of the fastest tracks on the calendar mere hours after an emergency meeting to try and address the serious safety issues the car has.

The “apology statement” from him is laughable at best and tells you he won’t learn from this at all.

Oh, absolutely. This was a particularly stupid and dangerous intentional wreck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:

consistent? what precedent are you referring to? byron wasn't penalized points or banned for any races for intentionally wrecking someone

tho, frankly the whole system is whack. ever since "boys have at it" they've been doing the whole thing backwards. if two grown ass men want to settle their differences by taking a couple swings at each other - why not? but telling them "no, thats a bad idea. you should crash into each other at 200mph instead" is ridiculous. drivers should be parked immediately and suspended when they retaliate on track, because any wreck is potentially lethal. shoving somebody around for shoving you into the wall or off the track is just how relationships play out sometimes between competitors. as long as nobody starts swinging helmets it should be acceptable for drivers to work out respect issues face to face. otherwise you'd have to start judging and penalizing on track stuff like squeezing a guy into the wall or taking the air off their spoiler, and nobody wants that

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was referring to Kenseth and Busch when they were parked for deliberate wrecking other people in questionable circumstances.

As Kenny Wallace said, Bubba has so many chips on his shoulder he forgot that the whole idea of retribution is not to wreck yourself as well in the process.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Probably his car already was junk after hitting the wall, or so he thought.