TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apparently a lot more people think that way than I thought. I'll tell you, I thought most of this craziness was just craziness, but that's because I have never seen first hand the strife that others have. Personal experience plays a massive role in ones own opinion. If nothing else, these movements have made me pause and see just how many people have an ass backwards look at the world. Fuck Dustin Skinner.

Race was good. Set just enough DVR to get it. The Blaney deal is eh. I don't think he was trying to wreck anyone, I think he drove up the track to bang wheels to slow the 20, but no one is backing down on the last lap so they just ran out of room.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The more I watched it, the more I think he just didn't know (or the spotter couldn't tell him quickly enough) that the 38 was also there making it 3-wide. I like to think if it were just the 12 and 20, he wouldn't have run him all the way into the wall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yea, it looked that way to me too. I must admit I was very disappointed when the caution came out because I was really hoping to see how the fuel mileage would play out but yea, that finish more than made up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
that race was thrilling, cars were on the verge of crashing but kept going. They behaved well, just derping around in the final lap

great racing despite no big one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Enjoyable race, although the wreck at the finish was a shame (would have been interesting to see if the 38 could have won).

I saw that NASCAR posted the video of everybody supporting Bubba on pit road. Opened the comments expecting to see a lot of support... No. We still have a very long way to go :yuk:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Starting to watch the race properly today, and what a start it was, that pre-race ceremony was something out of a movie. Liked it so much that I uploaded in a video to show my parents, but here it is as well, unlisted as I don't know about if they would take it down otherwise....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Was going to ask here about the new rules package for SSs following the Daytona 500, but decided to google it first, couldn't have been better, awesome article:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nascar/ ... b0kap0jrvj

Quote:
New NASCAR rules package at Talladega

- Addition of a lower main roll bar support bar #20 / intrusion plate and upper main roll bar support bar #21 (mandatory superspeedways, optional elsewhere).

- Elimination of aero ducts at superspeedway tracks.

- Reduction in size of throttle body from 59/64” to 57/64” (superspeedways only).

- Updated roll bar padding specifications (mandatory at all tracks beginning June 1).

- Oil reservoir tank or overflow expansion tank must contain a check valve (mandatory at all tracks beginning with Talladega).

- Slip tape must be applied along the entire length of the lower rearward facing surfaces of the rear bumper cover and extension (superspeedways only).

The following explanations of the rule changes are from NASCAR senior VP of innovation and racing development John Probst and senior director of safety engineering John Patalak. Both spoke with media during a recent teleconference.

Addition of a lower main roll bar support bar #20 / intrusion plate and upper main roll bar support bar #21 (mandatory superspeedways, optional elsewhere).
Probst: "With respect to the 6 car investigation. ... These bars, located on the driver's side, connecting the main roll hoop to either the rear down bars, which are the 13 bars, and also to the rear subframe. The rear subframe bar also has a plate that was added, 85 thousandths of an inch thick.

Patalak: "The Earnhardt bar existed before this update. What was added is referred to as the 12A bar, center roof support bar. That was similar to one of those bars that helps support the roof."

Elimination of aero ducts at superspeedway tracks.
Probst: "The elimination of the aero ducts at the superspeedway tracks were removed to try to mitigate the likelihood that cars could tandem draft. Then also the reduction of the power would likely reduce the likelihood of tandem as well.

Patalak: "I would say that this should eliminate (tandem drafting). I also know (teams) will all be working to try and get back to some form of it. I think with the reduction in power, the aero ducts going away, that will make sort of a smaller hole, if you will, that should make it much more difficult to get into that configuration."

Reduction in size of throttle body from 59/64” to 57/64” (superspeedways only).
Probst: "When you look at the goal of slowing the cars down, obviously the restriction from 59/64” to 57/64” is an expected horsepower loss of somewhere between 35 and 40 horsepower, which general rule of thumb the teams use is 30 horsepower per second. With the 40 horsepower, we'd expect the cars to slow down by over a second compared to what they would have run."

Patalak: "I would say that slowing the cars down surely should and would help from an aero liftoff standpoint. I would say our findings from the Ryan Newman crash, his liftoff was not due to an aero event but from him getting into the wall. The idea there is reducing the speeds of the car, slowing them down. We would expect speeds under the 200 mile-an-hour barrier here. So from that standpoint slowing the cars down, keep from having as violent wrecks."

Probst: "(A) larger (spoiler) wasn't really a good option. The more direct knob for us to turn to slow the cars down is directly to the horsepower. So we have worked with the engine builders on this front. The most direct way to slow them down is with horsepower."

Patalak: "In general, when we can slow the speeds down, it's going to be of benefit for the crash itself, for the driver in the car. It will also affect the loads on the vehicle and how the SAFER barrier responds. Directionally it's the right way to go."

Updated roll bar padding specifications (mandatory at all tracks beginning June 1).
Probst: "The key there is we didn't really do anything but ensure that the existing roll bar padding as it can be purchased from all of the vendors is used in the form it is purchased and not modified in any way."

Oil reservoir tank or overflow expansion tank must contain a check valve (mandatory at all tracks beginning with Talladega).
Probst: "One of the items seen post (Newman) incident was the fluid coming out of the trunk which was confirmed to be oil. Those fixes are intended to mitigate the loss of oil in that situation when the car is upside down."

Slip tape must be applied along the entire length of the lower rearward facing surfaces of the rear bumper cover and extension (superspeedways only).
Probst: "The idea there would be if they are tandem drafting or bump-drafting to minimize the ability of one car to upset the balance of another. It won't eliminate it, but should be a mitigating part. ...

"The thought behind the slip tape to the rear bumper, when one car makes contact with the rear bumper of the other, there probably are two main ways for that to transmit a load into the bumper of the other car and destabilize it. One would be the friction between the nose of the car hitting and the tail of the car being hit. The idea there is that the slip tape would mitigate that mechanism of load transfer, for lack of a better term. ...

"The way the slip tape works, it reduces the friction between the two surfaces. It would also be like ice. We're trying to make the rear bumper of the car being hit like ice, where they slide across, don't contact and start influencing the car in front laterally, left to right, if you will."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So that was the most competitive DEGA race since 2011. Not surprising...can't say I remember the last time I saw such intense battling for the lead in a plate race for almost the entire distance. That was proper plate racing, even better because of no 'Big One'...allowed all competitive cars to stay in it till the end.

Quote:
2020 GEICO 500: Most competitive Talladega race since October 2011

Ryan Blaney won at Talladega in Monday’s GEICO 500, which was the most competitive race at the 2.66-mile high-banked superspeedway since October 2011.

The GEICO 500 featured 56 lead changes, the most at Talladega since the 2011 Good Sam 500. That race featured 72 lead changes and a last-lap pass by Clint Bowyer to win in a photo finish over then-teammate Jeff Burton by 0.018 seconds.

Mirroring Bowyer’s efforts in 2011, Blaney made a last-lap pass to win in a photo finish over Ricky Stenhouse Jr. by 0.007 seconds.

The finish is tied for the third closest finish in Talladega history with the 2019 1000bulbs.com 500 finish, which Blaney bested Newman for. The Bowyer/Burton photo finish in 2011 is now the sixth closest finish in Talladega history.

In Monday’s GEICO 500, Clint Bowyer drove his no. 14 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford to a 24th-place finish in Sunday’s GEICO 500. Bowyer was ninth with one lap to go but was involved in a wreck on the last lap.

Blaney sits third in points, 25 points behind leader no. 4 Kevin Harvick, while Bowyer is 13th in points, 23 points ahead of 17th place no. 20 Erik Jones, heading into the June 27 Pocono Organics 325 (3:30pm EST; TV: FOX, Radio: MRN)

https://theracingexperts.com/2020-geico ... tober-2011

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haha, those numbers from 2011 are the biggest farce. They weren't changing leads, they were changing the draft partners. Seeing the tv masturbate over those big tandem lead change numbers and thinking the package may stay forever was a real nightmare for me.

For me the 2019 Daytona 500 was really awesome from flag to flag. But that was watching live with morstly no commercial breaks, instead a 3min onboard footage that really helped to make things way more intense. Also, it was my first race watching on my own place, after moving out of my parents house. Was antecipating the moment for days. It all added up to it. Even all the red flags helped to build antecipation as well. Don't watch many live and that was one that doing so really helped to make things way better. Also all that low expectations after the other Cup races on that Speedweeks. As soon at the green dropped and they really going at it, I was already mind blown with just 10 laps.

Just checked the replay of the 2019 Daytona 500 race, it was 5h30 hours long. I was planning on racing the NIS as 10pm that night, had to install the wheel before that. But I just couldn't stop watching.

Just try to watch this from Nascar's YT channel, just watch the first 50 laps, and see how great the broadcast is with the onboard footage during Fox's commercials.

2019 Dega Chase race was great, but for the finish and the story behind it, with a very important win to keep on the playoffs and how that was accomplished on those final 30 laps.

This year Daytona 500 was crazy intense, but I watched knowing about Newman's serious crash, and just finished racing my own 500 on our league. So I was already pumped up about that. Then knowing about Newman's accident I just got a HUGE adrenaline rush and just tried to finish the race as fast as possible. But making my big score box. Well, our Daytona 500 ended at around 1am, it was near 6am when I finally finished watching. All the crazy intense tandem on the last laps, so many green white checkers, not knowing when it would finally end, but knowing that at some point Newman would crash. What a ride it was watching it like this.

Now finally going to watch this Dega race properly. After the rain delay. Back on track still on yellow, lap 61 right now as I write this. Only saw from lap 12 to go until 2 to go then all the streams problems... Shame I can't experience this one without spoilers....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Welp...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh boy. Apparently it was the garage door pull down rope all along.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So it's at one garage and it was given to the #43 team? How do they assign the garages?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Joe4345 wrote:
Oh boy. Apparently it was the garage door pull down rope all along.

Yikes.

All that remains to find out is if the noose was cut from the rope at any point and why and if not, why the need to point it out if its function was clear.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, is that typical in all garages ?

Because even if someone took the rope and tied it into a noose in that specific garage, it's just as bad

But boy is it embarrassing if it wasn't an actual heinous act. This is why you investigate first before reacting in that scale. In all fairness though, even if it ends up a misunderstanding, it does not take anything from the courage of Nascar's reaction, and it does not erase the despicable reaction of some fans and professionals this has revealed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:01 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wouldn't any driver, crewman, or nascar official have been able to know that was a pullstring? How did this story blow up like this? Should've been debunked right away. I saw another photo online and the loop on the end of it is too small to fit even an apple through. It's obviously just to grab with a couple fingers and pull the door down. At this point I'm very curious as to who reported this first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:27 am 

I am also wondering that it wasn't Wallace that initially reported it.

Even if you looked at it from the point of view that he himself wanted to highlight the racism surrounding NASCAR, he wouldn't need to fabricate a story like this. There are plenty of examples from NASCAR's history and the current behaviour of these fucking white trash piece of shit fans that he could point to.

It doesn't seem like something he would do and I hope this doesn't reflect badly upon him.

We will probably never know the full details, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a scheme by NASCAR completely embellishing this from literally nothing. You generate a shit load of publicity (albeit negative), then whilst the spotlight is on you, do your best to make it look like your organisation is redeeming itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:59 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Are you fucking kidding me?!

Who the fuck thought this was a noose and how come they went so far that it made it global news and they needed FBI to tell everyone it's a fucking handle to pull down the garage door manually?!

And since part of my business is to sell and install garage doors, let me list few "innocent" reasons why only one garage out of +40 at the track might have it while like this while others don't.

- someone thought it was easier to use that way
- someone didn't follow the installation manual properly
- someone didn't know you are supposed to attach The other end of the rope on the door and the other on the rail, this goes for both pictured ropes
- someone didn't cut the rope but decided to save the extra piece of it for later use or didn't want to carry it in a trash bin out of laziness
- someone took away the ladders so installer couldn't reach the attachment point on the rail to connect the other end there
- or it was installed there but came off and someone made it a loop
- spring load is too high so the loop is used as latch
- door is missing the bolt lock so to get the door locked from the inside for extra privacy they improvised it with the rope

All except the last one of the reasons I listed is related to improper installation. One person was too lazy or stupid or both to get it wrong with as simple piece as door pull down rope.

Using it to shut the doors for outsiders for secrecy might have been improvised by some team earlier if rail bolt lock was not there or broken is also plausible. But is also related to poor craftmanship or laziness at some point.

This thing escalated because another stupid person who due these times we are living with BLM and all probably saw that piece of rope as racism. The same person probably sees Uncle Ben's rice racism too. And stupid reporters didn't bother to check facts and just went with it. And since it's Alabama...

TL;DR fucking lazy idiots all along.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:51 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

So what i understand now is From what ESPN 's Nascar reporter said on First Take drivers aren't allowed in those garages.
Bubba wasn't the one who found the noose, he only was informed.

Nascar execs had an emergency meeting after someone found it.
Nascar was so worried that if they didn't go public someone would leak the noose story so they decided to go public.

This is just plain crazy i mean they should have known what their garage door ropes looks like.
It takes less than a day to investigate something like this. A quick perusal of the camera or else should tell the whole story. Nascar could have addressed this story and investigation that day

Bubba needs to be smart with the media and let nascar take the bullet alone.
It's their fault because they told everyone it was a noose
And yes the rope is shaped like a noose which in these times is already a dumb thing to have in the garages :slaphead:

Now those racist rednecks going to try to make it seem like Bubba made all this up and attempt to destroy his credibility turning it in a Jussie smollet story.

The true colors of those racist will and have come out anyway as we have seen but man this whole thing looks like a bloody setup from the get go.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:40 am 

You do realise Wallace wasn’t the one who found the noose?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 Next