TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:43 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

electrodevo wrote:
Tristar 7AT wrote:
Gotta say the whole way this wreck was handled, the drama was sure cranked up to 11. We all thought he was dead, NASCAR acted like he might be dead, the teams all treated it like he was dead... and he walks out of the hospital two days later looking like he wasn’t even scratched. If officials knew his condition immediately, could it be they milked it a little for ratings? I mean, Newman was one of the top stories on national news Tuesday. His survival is amazing but as this goes on, I’m starting to dust off the ole tin foil hat.

Some people over the years have accused NASCAR about being more like WWE compared to an actual motorsport. Agree that some of the shenanigans here aren't helping that image. :p

I do agree that a moderate "traumatic brain injury" (like a concussion etc.) of some sort seems like the most likely "armchair quarterback" diagnosis, since it fits a few patterns. (If it's moderate enough, only a couple day hospital stay is not unheard of; however, you'd definitely not be racing the next week; and you won't *appear* to have any other injuries, so "walked out without a scratch" isn't exactly right, but that's what it would look like.) However, of course, this is a speculative diagnosis.

Props to NASCAR safety if this is all that happened in this wreck, of course, but boo on NASCAR for allowing the social media bullshit to churn, IMHO, due to lack of any information.

Does a concussion warrant a 2+ hour info blackout and a dramatic press conference at the hospital? That's what's pissing me off. You had fans and drivers in obvious grief during that entire period, Jeff Gordon was crying on the air. If the only information is he's alive and stable, you should tell us that asap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Tristar 7AT wrote:
electrodevo wrote:
Tristar 7AT wrote:
Does a concussion warrant a 2+ hour info blackout and a dramatic press conference at the hospital? That's what's pissing me off. You had fans and drivers in obvious grief during that entire period, Jeff Gordon was crying on the air. If the only information is he's alive and stable, you should tell us that asap.

I agree. Could have been handled much better. Really sucked to make it look like he was dead.
Seemed like back in the old days we would get up-to-date info much quicker and clearer.
Why the series and TV are going backwards on this I don't understand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

yeah, its pretty strange how it all turned out. this might simply be a case of the family not allowing the information to be released

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gordon was in tears on the TV coverage? I did not see that. :o :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He wasn't in tears but you could hear he was pretty choked up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, I even told my brother that I didn't liked the tone of his voice. Like he knew something that we didn't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't think even NASCAR would scrape that barrel. I suspect that they didn't tell us Newman was awake because he wasn't, or he was in and out of it (which can also be a sign of swelling in the brain).

And if that was true, then they couldn't comfortably tell people he was alive until Fairfax had had a look at his head and was able to confirm that whatever damage there was wasn't going to kill him. There may also be issues surrounding patient confidentiality.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
now that he's ok he'll start dating the doctor that treated him and he's gonna do a street race with Blaney on rented vehicles?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:39 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I’m just curious in any form of Motorsport or sport in general have we ever had a situation like this where the driver/athlete condition is kept unknown for so long but two days later is walking out of the hospital. Just a few days before the wreck Jay Bouwmeester had his deal during a game and it was as he was being taken to the hospital we already knew he was awake. I’ve never seen such an event unless the person is dead.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exactly why I suspect the AMR crew saw something they didn't like and went super cautious and every other reaction was based off that, he didn't loose consiousness during the crash (aparantly) and there's his scanner audio on YT where it sounds like he responds to his spotter immediately after, so my bets is he was trapped in such a way the AMR crew got spooked or his helmet was smashed up/worn away from sliding down the road.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:23 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I'll go back to what I said in the immediate aftermath

Ryan is a big guy, so aside from worrying about his health, even when he's 100% healthy he takes a good long time to get out of a flipped car (seriously, watch the 2003 race replay NASCAR uploaded last week, it's about 15 mins between car landing and him able to get out

So in addition to that, them having no idea his medical condition meant they weren't going to do what they did with the Truck that flipped and flip it back over, however gingerly, just in case he had a back injury or whatever else

There was a patient who may or may not have been concious, unable to get out by himself and was almost impossible for the crew to get out because of his size relative to the rest of the upside down cockpit (which was hella crushed, obviously)

FOX likely knew they weren't getting ANY info before the end of their 10 minute window before the end of the broadcast and quite rightly erred on the side of caution

Same with official social media. They knew nothing so could say nothing

But saying nothing is enough for most people to assume the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:42 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I was listening the the Sirius XM NASCAR channel from the time FOX went off the air until the time of the press conference and there was absolutely nothing being said by anyone other than tearful eulogies from callers. If Ryan Newman wants to know how his funeral would go, he can just listen to the tape of that show. It was downright depressing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
Exactly why I suspect the AMR crew saw something they didn't like and went super cautious and every other reaction was based off that, he didn't loose consiousness during the crash (aparantly) and there's his scanner audio on YT where it sounds like he responds to his spotter immediately after, so my bets is he was trapped in such a way the AMR crew got spooked or his helmet was smashed up/worn away from sliding down the road.

I just heard this, but it's hard to tell if he's saying "I'm good" or "Not good."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, it's hard to tell. I wonder if it was even Newman's voice on the radio. Could it have been someone else?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Chris A wrote:
Yeah, it's hard to tell. I wonder if it was even Newman's voice on the radio. Could it have been someone else?

Yeah, I really doubt Newman was able to speak after that wreck.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47