TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Great news, but now that we know he's fine watch us all put this in the "awesome wreck" box and move on, and NASCAR and the drivers move in without changing a thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:39 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Oh course nothing will change other than them not letting them race back to the line if another Chase Elliot type wreck happens on the white flag lap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't see how this will do anything but strengthen the drivers' sense of invincibility. At the very least, I certainly don't blame anyone who comes away from this with that attitude at least lurking in their thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:14 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Which is why NASCAR needs to step in and lay down the law. No blocking, no bump-and-dumps, don't drive dangerously. Full stop.

Like I said over two weeks ago, that will never happen because they're deep into their "please come to/watch our races" phase.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Which is why NASCAR needs to step in and lay down the law. No blocking, no bump-and-dumps, don't drive dangerously. Full stop.

Like I said over two weeks ago, that will never happen because they're deep into their "please come to/watch our races" phase.

yeah, except this wasnt a bump n dump. blaney was going to push ryan to the finish, but ryan had gotten loose getting to the bottom and had counter-steered to correct it. blaney hit newman square, but ryan's wheel was turned to the right, and that sent newmans car straight into the wall. watch the replay, plain as day

normal and acceptable racing move - shitty timing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:00 am 

Seeing Newman walk out of the hospital, his daughters in hand makes me cry. I really, truly, 100% thought he had been killed. I had no hope. None. I hope the racing can be made safer. I, when I thought there was no hope, told myself I can't watch this shit anymore if people are gonna be killed before my eyes doing it. The culture does have to change or one day we won't have such a happy ending (the injuries Newman does have notwithstanding).

idk maybe nothing could have been done in this specific instance. Regardless it can only decrease wrecks if people race each other with more respect and we have less of these completely insane last lap crashes like we've been having every superspeedway race for years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Makes you wonder what spooked the rescue crew so much. There doesn't seem to be any photos of his crash helmet, they took it off before removing him from the car, wonder if it was damaged in some way that spooked them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Gotta say the whole way this wreck was handled, the drama was sure cranked up to 11. We all thought he was dead, NASCAR acted like he might be dead, the teams all treated it like he was dead... and he walks out of the hospital two days later looking like he wasn’t even scratched. If officials knew his condition immediately, could it be they milked it a little for ratings? I mean, Newman was one of the top stories on national news Tuesday. His survival is amazing but as this goes on, I’m starting to dust off the ole tin foil hat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
judging by how non motorsports people treat motorsports as dangerous with near death crashes every single week this could be an obvious thing for nascar to do, thus closing the stupidweeks with a stupid gold key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Now that we know he's ok.....

And that DESTROYED the front end of LaJoie's car.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Makes you wonder what spooked the rescue crew so much. There doesn't seem to be any photos of his crash helmet, they took it off before removing him from the car, wonder if it was damaged in some way that spooked them?

I'm sure he must have taken a knock to the head. Given how spooked US sport is in general about concussion, I wouldn't be surprised if they went ultra-tiptoes around him if he was semi- or unconscious when they got to him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'd kill bump drafting. Racing was just as great before it, why is it so necessary? Either that or put some limitations, like bumping in the final lap or so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I don't think you could ever regulate out that last minute desperation that comes when you're fighting for the win in the final 100m between the tri oval and the finish line

Even in other motorsport series, you see absolute insanity between the final corner and the chequered flag, just plate racing makes it a hell of a lot more likely

Saying that, this was more like the 2009 tandem bump era, so maybe doing something that makes sure there is a bigger pack around instead of 2 cars being able to lock together and race ahead might be the answer.
If newman has just spun into the side of another car, it likely wouldn't have gone airbourne and been hit....

But we're all monday morning quarterbacks on this. It happened. We're trying to make sense of it.
But we don't have to be the one that makes the big decisions re: ruining the racing (and potentially the business) vs potentially having someone die on your watch....

Hard choices, no doubt

Oh well, back to dull as shit nothing racing for the next 4 months...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

amq55 wrote:

He's walking a bit funny in this clip, but that may just be his regular walk.

Incredible that he came away virtually unscathed.

============
I think that may be because he had to get down and to the pace of his daughters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They could, I don't know, just penalise drivers when they hit another car and cause them to wreck? It must be a crazy idea because they haven't tried it before. Make the driver think about what will happen if they bump too hard and you'll see a natural improvement in the stupidity of superspeedway racing.

Look at races from 20 years ago and they still bumped (and bumpers back then didn't even line up as well), they just did it more carefully and respectfully instead of 50 times every lap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speaking of NASCAR being in denial about their current issues, check out the edit on the finish of the official full race upload (skip to 4:05.30). This is even weirder since this was uploaded after Newman was released from hospital, so I guess they're just trying to cover up that a car got on its roof?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forgot that Blaney almost lost it too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:58 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Philthy82 wrote:
Speaking of NASCAR being in denial about their current issues, check out the edit on the finish of the official full race upload (skip to 4:05.30). This is even weirder since this was uploaded after Newman was released from hospital, so I guess they're just trying to cover up that a car got on its roof?

lmao, so they just cut out the finish?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm 

Tristar 7AT wrote:
Gotta say the whole way this wreck was handled, the drama was sure cranked up to 11. We all thought he was dead, NASCAR acted like he might be dead, the teams all treated it like he was dead... and he walks out of the hospital two days later looking like he wasn’t even scratched. If officials knew his condition immediately, could it be they milked it a little for ratings? I mean, Newman was one of the top stories on national news Tuesday. His survival is amazing but as this goes on, I’m starting to dust off the ole tin foil hat.

Some people over the years have accused NASCAR about being more like WWE compared to an actual motorsport. Agree that some of the shenanigans here aren't helping that image. :p

I do agree that a moderate "traumatic brain injury" (like a concussion etc.) of some sort seems like the most likely "armchair quarterback" diagnosis, since it fits a few patterns. (If it's moderate enough, only a couple day hospital stay is not unheard of; however, you'd definitely not be racing the next week; and you won't *appear* to have any other injuries, so "walked out without a scratch" isn't exactly right, but that's what it would look like.) However, of course, this is a speculative diagnosis.

Props to NASCAR safety if this is all that happened in this wreck, of course, but boo on NASCAR for allowing the social media bullshit to churn, IMHO, due to lack of any information.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:20 pm 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
Just curious.. Has anyone heard anything on Ryan making the trip out to Vegas?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47 Next