TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 4547 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:42 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

westracing01 wrote:

7 mins to get the car upright. Doctor was in the car basically the second it was righted. That 7 mins to get the car turned over is an eternity.

I thought that was quite odd, too. Even a healthy person would be in bad shape after hanging upside down for 7 minutes. Wonder if we'll ever hear an explanation why that process took so long.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the process just takes a long time because that's the way they do it, the guy who flipped in the truck race on Friday was trapped upside down for a similar amount of time, I guess their attitude is if there's no immediate danger to life you take things slow.

Must admit when they zoomed in on the car just after it stopped and there was what looked like fuel pouring out the back of it right next to where a small fire was my heart skipped a beat, fire is that one uncontrollable element that scares the shit out of me everytime I see it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, you don't want to right the car too quickly and make any injury worse. Especially spinal/neck injuries.

I was honestly expecting that fluid to catch light. It had to be fuel, can't think what other fluid would have been leaking from there like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, it's frustrating to watch but they always take what seems like a long time to get the car upright. Like Ian said, it's just their process.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:33 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gaara wrote:

I was honestly expecting that fluid to catch light. It had to be fuel, can't think what other fluid would have been leaking from there like that.

We were discussing that on another forum and no one had a clear answer what that fluid was. I can't think of what other fluids would be in that part of the car other than fuel, but it looked kinda muddy colored like coolant.

Whatever it was, it was flowing right down to where the driver's head was only inches off the track, and there were several fires just inches away. Seems almost impossible that if it was fuel that it wasn't an inferno.

And perhaps tracks should start thinking about getting a few people under the age of 50 in charge of the fire extinguishers- those guys were moving about as fast as Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro in The Irishman.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It could have been the anti-fire stuff NASCAR runs in a tank next to the fuel tank, iirc it's a liquid that when exposed to oxygen turns to a vapour and literally sucks the oxygen out of a fire, I saw a small segment on it a few years ago and they said it was a fantastic fire suppressant but it was hugely toxic and also a tad bit dangerous because of the obvious "sucking oxygen out of the atmosphere" issue but they considered the downsides were far outweighed by the whole not being cooked alive alternative.

I can't remember what the stuff is called but when I saw it demonstrated the person held a small amount over an open fire in a cup and the fire went out, it was very impressive, if a little scary too.

Also not sure having young people in charge of fire extinguishers is a good idea, young people tend to panic and smother a fire, older people tend to stay calm and act rationally using just enough to put out the fire like they did in that scenario, I've lost count the number of times where I've seen a situation made worse by a young person running round like a headless chicken.

Last edited by Ian-S on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:13 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

stick500 wrote:
Eliminate GWC; more than half the plate races would end under yellow, and yes, the fans would howl and leave in droves.

Apart from all the years they didn't have GWC and the fans didn't leave.

I'm not against it on most tracks but it and stages in the Daytona 500 just feel cheap, and the GWC era has seen a lot of accidents.

But, either they change nothing and this keeps happening, or they change a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:34 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

For the sake of the argument I'm willing to admit I'm a hypocrite that wants racing, action and crashes as long as the outcome isn't bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

honest question here - if ryan just bounces off the wall and no secondary impact happens would we even be having this conversation? based on prior sentiments posted, i'd almost wager a lot of discussion would be about how newman was "asking for it" for blocking

personally, i dont think newman did anything out-of-bounds since blaney wasn't to his quarter-panel yet. he got bumped at just the wrong moment/angle/location to lose control, and unfortunately that happens in racing. i also dont see this as a direct byproduct of the gwc. easily could've happened in regulation

we talk about risk being an important component to motorsport, but when that risk manifests itself we tell nascar "this can never happen again" and then complain when the changes create shitty racing. can we eliminate unnecessary risk by continually improving equipment? yes. absolutely. but the only way to eliminate all risk is to end motorsport. might as well shut down the forum rn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Update from Roush-Fenway Racing: Newman "is awake and speaking with family and doctors."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You love to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

EDIT: @
trout
^^^ Well put. Had he either not flipped and/or not been hit, we probably wouldn't be saying anything... We might be thinking "what if" but not discussing it. This wreck was one of those "what if" moments come to reality. Very similar to Kyle's crash here when Stewart hooked him, just the after wall impact was different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 pm 
Your Stream Sucks
Your Stream Sucks

Great news. It's a miracle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:27 pm 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
Great news! I hope he can make a full recovery!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I am now convinced. It is impossible to die in that race car. What a wonderful piece of technology.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

that's a fuckin miracle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:
EDIT: @
trout
^^^ Well put. Had he either not flipped and/or not been hit, we probably wouldn't be saying anything... We might be thinking "what if" but not discussing it. This wreck was one of those "what if" moments come to reality. Very similar to Kyle's crash here when Stewart hooked him, just the after wall impact was different.

I had some serious thought of "what if" after thad crash from Austin Dillon, where he all but stopped in a few meters and flew back on the path of other cars.

This time tough, Newman wasn't on the pack, he was way ahead, so there wasn't enough time for the pack to pass below him before he landed back on the track.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

He still finished 4th.... :8:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:45 pm 

Location: Augusta, Georgia. First joined TBK july 2002 as alltel#12fan
I think he finished 9th.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So glad that to read that statement.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 4547 Next