TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Even this Roval is going to be a major letdown, not because it's crap, but because expectations have been set sooooo high. Every news headline I see is how everybody is terrified of it, it's gonna be carnage etc. The layout they're going to use is much improved from what was originally planned but it's still going to be single file follow the leader if my NR2k3 thrown together copy is anything to go by, there are no overtaking spots at all, most of the corners are high speed ones and the layout of the "inner loop" on the back stretch won't see one overtake all weekend.

You won't even see any lastl lap dive bombs in the trioval chicane because it's a quick flick right left too. Maybe turn one will be the only spot to overtake or turn 6, if we're lucky.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer but I wasn't impressed with driving it in nr.

They lessened the chances of turn #1 being a decent passing zone with the added chicane too as they shorten the braking zone. Won't have as many people sending it into turn #1 either with the lessen amount of runoff compared to what would be there if they didn't move the exit of the infield section so far back that there's only 1 wall separating those straightaways. I'm not impressed with the track layout either in terms of passing, but at least it's something different. Hopefully they will try to improve on it, but half of the changes so far I haven't liked. Especially with the parking lot amounts of runoff followed by removing said runoff with street circuit style wall placements. Although that might be just the Legend Car driver / car owner in me complaining as there used to be tons of grass runoff there in past.

I'm not going to complain too much though since they at least made the Legend Car layouts a little better, such as removing the double inner loops & giving us a faster / longer layout.

Speaking of the single wall separating those straights, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big Macau style parking lot if anyone hits the area where the wall juts out on the exit of turn #1.

-

Looking at it from the fan side of things (I ended up going to the test there back in July), grandstand viewing from the Ford section isn't all that bad. Only things you can't see is turn #3 / turn #4 or part of the infield backstraight (good call on adding the bridge there as it was already not visible with the Busch garage / media center / concession stand) & part of the backstraight chicane. With the camping lots I suspect that the infield backstraight & turn #5 won't have as much visibility from the stands as well. Overall it was pretty good though, Ford stand & the GN Tower should be the best viewing areas. A

For those who like to take photos, while obviously the best locations are in the middle of the infield & camping areas inside of the roval itself. However there's a few areas in the grandstands that aren't obstructed by the catchfencing where it's not all that bad either. Here's a couple I got back in July.

-

also if anyone that's going to be in the region next weekend, the race sponsor is giving away free tickets (2 per person) to the Busch race again this year at this link below. It also includes admission to the Sammy Hagar concert as well
https://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/bluecrossnc200/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For those who didn't see video of the Modified race finish, here is a short clip from Twitter

-

really hope they continue this short track race weekend at NHMS next year, would love to see IndyCar added to it though

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah there seemed more people in the stands there than at Richmond lol