TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

I don't think there was any dirtiness intended from either driver.

Larson tried a slidejob and failed. Busch tried to get back to Larson and got into him. It was just hard racing, and nowhere near as dirty as Dillon on Almirola at Daytona this year.

If someone calls Busch a dirty driver from this, that would be absurdly unfair to Busch as 1.) the racing wasn't even the dirtiest racing we've seen this year and 2.) Busch didn't even initiate contact on the last lap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't think Larson's move was dirty. But he pushed too hard and his mistake cost Busch the lead unfairly. There's no doubt in my mind that Busch dove into turn three fully intending to move Larson, but given how he lost the lead, I don't blame him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:05 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Chris A wrote:
I don't think Larson's move was dirty. But he pushed too hard and his mistake cost Busch the lead unfairly. There's no doubt in my mind that Busch dove into turn three fully intending to move Larson, but given how he lost the lead, I don't blame him.

Exactly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If Busch had like...hooked Larson head on into the wall or did something psychotic coming to the checkers, I'd be singing a different tune. As things worked out...the only person who actually even touched the wall was Busch himself and Larson still came home second anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The fact that Larson was cool with it automatically makes it okay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I saw the finish, while it didn't bother me at all, the way Kyle acted after he got out of the car with his fake crying bullshit is kinda what irritates me. Because he'd be crying for real if the roles were reversed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep, what Jeff said. I don't think Kyle Busch is an especially dirty driver. I do think he is an absolute choad and somehow the more unlikeable Busch brother (which takes some doing). How anyone could actually be a fan of a personality like that is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Busch's heel status is STRONG. I love it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Chris A wrote:

This is literally what happened.
There's a difference between trying really hard to pass cleanly and making contact accidentally and realising the move was done and the only way to reclaim the win is to dump the guy in front.
But if Larson had got by cleanly and Kyle had still bumped him out (Hell, I wouldn't put it past him either) then we'd probably had some justification in being furious.
But since Larson initiated the contact, albiet accidentally, I guess he has no leg to stand on.

Very reminiscent of Daytona this year in that regard tho, "Move is done, I've lost. Oh well, around he goes"
So Earnheardt too.

But NASCAR is held to a different standard than any other motorsport.
Any other series, I'd be calling for DSQ and season bans. (Yes, Even BTCC ;) )
NASCAR, all the fun of the fair eh?

NASCAR is built on this stuff, hell, NASCAR itself has been loading about 500 separate takes of the finish to their youtube feed in an attempt to capture the outrage (which is hurting their numbers compared to if they'd just uploaded one or 2 seperate videos with it all edited together, but whatever)
Of course, what's most important is not the incident itself, but what Dale JR thinks of the Incident ;)

Hell, it couldn't have happened at a better time for NBC. Their first race in and they have some controversy to milk, AND they probably will add a million viewers onto their Daytona viewership as a result of all the buzz off that one moment.
AND it's Daytona, which will probably generate about 5 more of these over that race.
Win win.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
But since Larson initiated the contact, albiet accidentally, I guess he has no leg to stand on.

I was listening to the race on the radio while driving and in the MRN interview, Larson admitted to intentionally hitting him once he knew the slide job wasn't going to work as originally planned. He said something along the lines of "I stayed in the throttle and thought I could slow him down by scraping him in the side." He also acknowledged that it worked too well, and would have preferred entering T3 side by side and not ahead of him. Not sure if MRN has these interviews on their website but it was interesting to hear how honest Larson was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The fake crying was because he was being boo'd, more so than usual too.

I'm not really sure why anybody would be disappointed or angry with that finish, I mean haven't we all been praying for proper old Skool beating and banging for the win for about the last 9 years?