TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1484 485 486 487 4881060 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SPEED will officially bite the dust by next summer:
Los Angeles Times wrote:
The new contracts take effect at the start of the 2014 season and run through 2021. FOX's rights fees will go from a per-season average of about $257 million to $495 million. The deal also clears the way for FOX to use baseball for a new national sports cable channel it is planning to launch in the summer of 2013.

FOX also received broad rights to baseball highlights that could be used for a sports news program similar to ESPN's "SportsCenter." While FOX has declined to comment on its planned channel, people familiar with the matter said the company will convert its niche sports channel called SPEED into a broad-based sports network.

Besides baseball, Fox will also put NASCAR racing, college football, soccer and Ultimate Fighting on its cable channel. The working name for the channel is Fox Sports 1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hope they keep all the racing coverage. They can scrap all those shit shows like Pinks and that fucking South Bronx show.

Has it been said what will happen to formula 1?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't suspect F1 coverage to go away. Considering live F1 races air in the early hours, it shouldn't interfere with any major sports programming FS1 comes up with.

The way I see it, NASCAR-related stuff (Trucks, Cup pre/post-race, East/West and Modified races during weekdays, etc.) shouldn't be affected, aside from maybe live practice/qualifying sessions during the busier baseball and college football seasons, which they could either air in tape delay, use FUEL as an alternate, let ESPN pick up some of the slack, or even stream it online. Keep in mind, NASCAR owns about 20% of SPEED, so they'll have a say in what happens to their programming.

The fate of ARCA, Grand-Am, V8 Supercars, MotoGP, etc. would be very much up in the air.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:31 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Quote:
UPDATE: The curveball in a new FOX deal is the impact the network's change of SPEED into Fox Sports One, a new all sports channel that will carry Major League Baseball, college football and basketball and other sports in addition to NASCAR programming. Hoping to keep up with the likes of the ABC/ESPN, NBC/NBC Sports Network as well as CBS/CBS Sports Network pairings, FOX plans to flip the current motorsports and automotive channel into its own general sports cable network. As of now ancillary NASCAR programming such as practice, qualifying and support events like the Camping World Truck Series would be mixed into the revamped channel's content line-up. There is word FOX will also stream NASCAR programming beginning next season, ala the "Watch ESPN" initiative that will allow mobile device access for thousands of viewers. Assuming FOX comes to terms, the remainder of the new NASCAR television package is a bit fuzzier. While it appears ABC/ESPN and TNT will return to the negotiating table, the NBC's interest is a wild card. Desperate for content to help build its fledging sports net, the Peacock folks are eyeballing a return to the business of stock car racing. The Nationwide Series, currently an ABC/ESPN property, could be in play for NBC as well as the Truck Series should FOX decide to back off the amount of NASCAR programming for its cable sports network or the "World Wide Leader" scale back its stock car investment. CBS or perhaps niche outlets like "The History Channel" might also dip their toes into the negotiations.(CBS Sports)(10-3-2012)

It would be awesome if all Nascar sessions and races were streamed. I doubt Nascar would let the Nationwide and Truck series races not be broadcasted, but it would be interesting to see who ends up broadcasting them if FOX's new channel decides to drop them or if ESPN does less Nationwide races.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I find this very interesting.

Quote:
Stenhouse car adjusted for final run with exhaust coming out of rear of car.

Quote:
I imagine it would be hard to bump draft if exhaust pipes in rear instead of sides. #nascar

Quote:
A better look at Stenhouse car with exhaust pipes coming out of back

Quote:
Drivers say it is more dicey to push draft because front bumpers are curved, easier to hook someone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:47 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gael wrote:

Quote:
Drivers say it is more dicey to push draft because front bumpers are curved, easier to hook someone.

That is awesome, I was hoping the new cars would be like that. The cars right now are just bumper cars, they just bump into each other and nothing happens because they line up perfectly.

As for the rear exhausts, I think Nascar might be showing the teams that they already have a way to prevent tandem drafting if it gets out of control again, although the Nationwide races this year with tandems were actually pretty incredible imo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really think they should go with the exhaust out the rear. It looks better than stickers and is effective in cutting down on the tandem racing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wanna know how it sounds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Paul wrote:

(Moved from the race thread, as this is probably a more appropriate place for it)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:08 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Tony Stewart has found himself a new sponsor:
http://blogs.news-leader.com/msu/2012/1 ... o-team-up/

Meanwhile, a typical Kyle Busch whine/rage takes a wrong turn:
http://thatsracinluckydog.blogspot.com/ ... uschs.html

Kyle has since apologized for the comments.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That was only a matter of time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It would be so awesome if TRD made Gibbs fire Kyle or else they wouldn't give him engines, but I doubt that would happen. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Gibbs did something about Kyle constantly insulting his team, look what happened to his brother when he did the same thing

Last edited by jacksonedb on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 am 

Funny thing is that the tuners in-shop gave the engine more horsepower (which is actually beneficial for a Dover race). It's just that the race passed by so fast that it turned into a fuel mileage race, one in which Kyle cannot win. Maybe if he were as smart as Keselowski-Wolfe, he would have that victory.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:46 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Kyle Busch should never change!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:10 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

NASCAR should bring back that characteristic low whine that the plate engines used to have

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:47 pm 

looks like the Monteal NNS race is over and out judging by this

Quote:
MONTREAL — A Montreal-based motorsports company — and corporate sister of the firm that promotes Montreal’s Grand Prix event — has declared bankruptcy.

Octane Motorsports Events Inc., presided over by François Dumontier, owes creditors across the country over $5.4 million according to bankruptcy filings.

Dumontier, also president of Octane Racing Group Inc., promoter of the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada, did not respond to an interview request Thursday.

One of the biggest creditors is a numbered Quebec company that is a Dumontier family trust. It is owned almost $3 million, according to filings.

The bankruptcy has also left scores of Montreal-area companies with stacks of unpaid bills; among them, Garda Canada Security Corp., Omnison, and Consortium Echo-Logique.

Robert Megeney, president of Event Labor Works whose outstanding Octane Motorsports accounts top $27,000, said he hopes for the best outcome in the bankruptcy proceedings.

“At this point in time, we are just going with the flow,” he said.

Octane Motorsports was best known as promoter of Edmonton’s IndyCar race.

On Sept. 21, Edmonton city officials announced that Octane Motorsports had informed them that it would not produce the IndyCar race in July 2013 as planned.

In a news release, Octane said that to survive, the event needed a promise of more spectators and more support from local businesses, and that the company wasn’t confident that would happen.

“Despite our tight management policies and all our efforts to offer to the fans a world-class spectacle, we were not able to make this event profitable and nothing allows us to hope for a better profitability next year,” Octane stated then.

The Octane Group of companies has worked on the organization and promotion of more than 70 motorsports events around the world, according to its website.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/O ... z28Qc8aml4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Cartman wrote:
Paul wrote:

(Moved from the race thread, as this is probably a more appropriate place for it)

Not what I was hoping for :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pics of the 2014 Chevy SS production model.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the rear end looks much better than the front end. Not impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the rear end looks kinda like a lexus

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1484 485 486 487 4881060 Next