TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next

The yellow line rule:
Needs to stay 17%  17%  [ 16 ]
Needs to go 83%  83%  [ 80 ]
Total votes: 96
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:58 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

BlueCelicaTRD wrote:
I don't understand people. First you get mad at NASCAR for not being consistant with rules then the one time they are and you jump all over them.

I'm not jumping on them for being consistent, I'm saying that previous inconsistencies caused this situation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If they do away with the yellow line rule, the best thing to do is to not dick around and take it away completely. If they were to say "you can pass here and here, but not here", then you're just getting into a whole other situation where NASCAR can pretty much lose every time.

The reason it came about in the first place was because of the constant threat of big ones. One might say it came about because of Dale Earnhardt's death, but that's not the case at all, since they were in the middle of the corner, and the same thing happened there that happened to Carl yesterday. My point is that no matter the rules, drivers will still find a way to make a mistake (they are human, after all) and cause massive wrecks like the ones we saw yesterday. Put them in a limited playing field, and a driver's ability to avoid causing that kind of thing goes out the window (unless they want to sacrifice hard-charging, go for the win racing, which isn't what NASCAR is about).

Unless we go to no plates, I don't see this being remedied. Smaller plates will do jack squat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh, and another thing.... maybe Regan Smith should have dumped Tony Stewart last fall, maybe this would be remedied by now. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
As long as they keep developing safety and don't let the speeds get any faster than they currently are then i think things are ok. I can't see a way of stopping ALL debris from possibly reaching the crowd without ruining their view completely or moving everyone back 10 rows. Tricky one.

Bingo. I really don't see any reason why they can't get rid of the first 10 rows of the front stretch grandstand. The place wasn't sold out by a long shot, but that doesn't really matter.

The only other thing, everyone knows the danger when you go to a race track, be it driver, fan, official, whatever. On the back of the tickets it says (or at least it used to say) the track is not responsible if you're injured or killed while in attendance at the race. Racing is dangerous for everyone. The bottom line is that there isn't anything that can be changed without destroying the racing. These sort of wrecks happen at the big tracks. They always have and they always will...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:04 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

A view from the grandstands:
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uB-5GlrIRGM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uB-5GlrIRGM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm 

braves25fan10 wrote:
Coyotekart1 wrote:
braves25fan10 wrote:
yesterday on aim news, i saw a quote from jim hunter (i think) saying that he thought it was the first time the fence at talladega had ever been hit. the article was gone and replaced with one without the quote today, however.

hasn't the fence at talladega been hit 3 times, not including jimmy horton going over it?

Allison, Bonnet, Craven, Blaney(kinda), Edwards. I think those are the only ones that have tested the fence at Talladega.

Well, if you count Blaney, then you also have to count Earnhardt and Elliot. They hit in about the same way that Blaney did.

He actually meant the design of the fence, not how many times it was hit at Talladega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

braves25fan10 wrote:
yesterday on aim news, i saw a quote from jim hunter (i think) saying that he thought it was the first time the fence at talladega had ever been hit. the article was gone and replaced with one without the quote today, however.

hasn't the fence at talladega been hit 3 times, not including jimmy horton going over it?

There was no fence in the turns when Horton cleared the track in '93,just a wall.

On a lighter note,saw the Fox 3D,er NASCAR RaceView version of the incident

Looks like an online server on an EA game with some serious warp.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Amazing crash recreation. 8O

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lol :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Those who just skipped to the crash, rewatch it and see what happens at 0:49. It's amazing. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

jdh wrote:
Those who just skipped to the crash, rewatch it and see what happens at 0:49. It's amazing. :lol:

Gangsta Newman :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

no airbornez, fake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That video from the stands is amazing! Can you believe how fast that car flew past them into the fence a few 100 yards away? Imagine if your right there behind the fence you have ZERO time to react or move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 am 

And the way it flies through the view is just something. 8O Looked even more scary on that than on TV POV.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 am 

I just heard on This Week in NASCAR, that the great CHAD KNAUS thinks it would be great to put a chicane on the backstretch. Like that would help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WCWRocks6 wrote:
I just heard on This Week in NASCAR, that the great CHAD KNAUS thinks it would be great to put a chicane on the backstretch. Like that would help.
wtf :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: 43 104 Kevin Lepage Chevrolet J Davis Motorsports.com 94.005 155.021 -20.183
http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlin ... dlines/cup

Quote:
NASCAR may implement harsher penalties for blocking and aggressive driving in the wake of Sunday's final-lap accident at Talladega Superspeedway, but stopped short of blaming the drivers for the crash that sent Carl Edwards flying into the track's restraining fence.

Like that will work :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 am 
Great so now next time this rolls around the driver holding his line will get penalized.

Srspost: NASCAR is possible the most incompetent sanctioning body in all of sports. Even worse than the IRL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 am 
Reading stuff from all over the internet, I'm surprised that most bloggers are blaming restrictor plate racing as a whole, and some are even claiming to abolish the practice altogether, pointing to LeMans '55 - As if that's an ethical decision. But I'll leave that until I can come up with something to debunk it.

But here's something I can debunk - Ryan Newman was quoted as saying that NASCAR should take another look at ways to keep cars on the ground because of the fact that cars flipped two days in a row, and he even said that the CoT is more susceptible to catching air - That's absurd. It's been seen in a ton of instances that the CoT can't catch air in a per se ''normal'' spin.

Judging from Elliott Sadler's airborne wreck at Daytona in the Bud Shootout, the CoT has to be spun at least 180 degrees around before air can pick the car up. And even so, it sets down quickly - Unless it gets a huge assist.

Quote:
Average CoT spin - The majority of the weight will go towards where the car should be facing, and the car seldom fully spins around.
How a CoT can catch air - The car must spin around abruptly so that the car is spun at least halfway around so that the car will lift significantly for a brief moment, but it will quickly set down again.
What happened to Edwards - The above scenario happened, but Newman's car drove up under it and knocked it further up into the air (This is comparable to any wreck where a car gets ''jacked up'' by another car), setting it completely up into the air and into the catchfence

(By the way, anyone have the airbornez chart?

As for Kenseth's flip, that was under entirely different circumstances - Weight shift. Any car would flip in that instance. Roof flaps, side skirts, it would still flip. Ryan should know this - He's an engineer, for Christ's sakes!

In all honesty, I really think Newman is just picking at straws to lessen restrictor plate racing or get rid of it entirely - If he watched the replays, he should know damn well what happened in those instances. And hell, I'm befuddled as to just why drivers are whining so much about Talladega - They never used to. If you're that scared of crashing and burning, you need to get your priorities straight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:23 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

NC24 wrote:
NASCAR is possible the most incompetent sanctioning body in all of sports. Even worse than the IRL

QFT

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next