TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1392 393 394 395 3961060 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Repugnant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh for fucksake...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

At least paint it green or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm 

zippy wrote:
Pocono Raceway is following the latest trend of trying to look like a parking lot.

All the grass on Long Pond Straight has been paved over.

Looks like they repaved the whole track huh? I wonder if they took the ridiculous bumps out and if they're trying to attract and IndyCar race as well...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

How long until they pave the tri-oval area at Daytona for the sake of safety?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This is the part where I remind you guys that grass doesn't fucking matter. Catch you all next time! :wave:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
This is the part where I remind you guys that grass doesn't fucking matter. Catch you all next time! :wave:

And I'm sure if WRC decided to bulldoze all the trees around rally stages you'd feel the same way right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:

I really don't see what's so wrong with caring about how a track looks as much as how well it produces racing. Under this same reasoning paint schemes don't matter either, but we have a whole thread devoted to them.

I guess we should just make all the cars shades of grey and smear a number on them with finger-paint. As long as they're functional, right?

Last edited by Temiree on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aesthetics matter in ANYTHING where I use my eyes to enjoy it. Sure, sex with an ugly woman is still sex, but it's just not the same if she is ugly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Chris A wrote:

this is the part where i remind you that you telling us all it doesn't matter is far more fucking annoying than us moaning about it in the first place

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:09 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Schumifan wrote:
Chris A wrote:

this is the part where i remind you that you telling us all it doesn't matter is far more fucking annoying than us moaning about it in the first place

For once, I agree with Schumifan. It makes you come off as a dick.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:04 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Philthy82 wrote:
Chris A wrote:

And I'm sure if WRC decided to bulldoze all the trees around rally stages you'd feel the same way right?

Yeek...fuck that. Part of the fun of rallying is trees left and right in most instances.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'll admit I was a dick about it, but it's really not all that different than you all bitching about the lack of grass every time. It's an opinion forum. You all constantly whine about item A, and in this instance I disagree. You all are awfully bent out of shape about this considering I haven't actually said a negative or disparaging thing about anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Philthy82 wrote:

Temiree wrote:
I guess we should just make all the cars shades of grey and smear a number on them with finger-paint. As long as they're functional, right?

Dan Belcher wrote:
Aesthetics matter in ANYTHING where I use my eyes to enjoy it. Sure, sex with an ugly woman is still sex, but it's just not the same if she is ugly.

This really isn't how argumentation or analogies work, guys. It's fine if we disagree and you think I'm bonkers, but don't pull that false equivalency bullshit.

Look, I don't disagree that the track looks better with grass. I'm not an emotionless robot. But it just really doesn't matter that much, the way I see it. Competition and speed pretty much counts for most of the reason I enjoy racing. If the tracks are pretty and the cars sparkle; fantastic. A nice bonus. I love great paint schemes and beautiful chassis. But if that's not the case, I really don't have time to get bent out of shape about it if I'm enjoying the event. And if the racing sucks and I'm not enjoying the event, I still don't care about ugly cars and seas of pavement. And lets not lose sight of the fact that, at least in the case of many of the US oval tracks, the removal of grass tends to be a big safety improvement (or at least an effort at it).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

See, if you'd have posted that in the first place it wouldn't have been an issue. You said it yourself - this is an opinion forum, so if you come barging into the thread presenting your opinion as unarguable fact and giving off this impression of "I'M CHRIS A, I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE ALL WRONG :wave:", it's going to rub people up the wrong way, don't you think?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm on both sides of the coin, here. Yeah, it doesn't look that great, but who cares?

I look at grass, and I think of Fontana. I think of the shittiest bag of shit to ever be thrown at Canadian motorsports fans (Greg Moore's death) and think "yeah, maybe it would have happened elsewhere, maybe not". Still, without that grass, we would have had shit to cheer about, and a career to follow with genuine interest.

But nope. We had to suffer through 10-11 years of JV doing nothing, and nobody else really making any strides whatsoever.

Pave the infield at Daytona, I don't care. Caring between enjoying how a track looks and how "safe" it can be went out the window 12 years ago, for me. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maybe they could use some sort of plastic grass or something to basically have no dirt or mud to dig into but maintaining that nicely preened and inviting appearance instead of a vast fuggin supermarket parking lot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homestead paved all the grass on the front straight and painted it yellow, it really didn't look all that bad imo. However in the truck race, when one driver spun the truck slid for a decade without stopping.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

only cos the apron was wet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sandeep Banerjee wrote:
Maybe they could use some sort of plastic grass or something to basically have no dirt or mud to dig into but maintaining that nicely preened and inviting appearance instead of a vast fuggin supermarket parking lot.

That would definitely eliminate the dig-in effect but I can't imagine that would be any good for scrubbing off speed, which is really the main concern with grass for a couple different reasons. Originally NASCAR started having their tracks pave infield sections to help reduce the effect of cars lifting off at high speed. But crashes like Elliott Sadler's (2010) and Jeff Green's (2003) on the backstretch at Pocono also illustrate how much speed cars carry through the grass. They slid a long way and still had huge impacts.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1392 393 394 395 3961060 Next