TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35140 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
Hank Hill wrote:
The last thing I'd want in my race car is a backseat driver, but it appears he did not have one with him. Of course I see in the comments on that story about 10 people asking "What is a 12 year old doing racing?"

To be honest, that's what the racing crowd should be asking as well. Bandeleros, Legends and Karts are one thing, but full bodied cars are another.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an equivalent situation in open-wheel formulas, but even if there is I sincerely doubt it's to the extent of stock-car racing.

Legends should be off limits to kids as well.

They're usually the third fastest division of any track(after Modifieds and Late Models).

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 am 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

Its hard to regulate age limits, because really it comes down to maturity level. At my local track there are some 12 year olds that I'd trust with a fast car way more than some of the 30 year olds. We had a 14 year old than won several late model races a couple years ago while the 40 year olds were plowing through people.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

40 to 45 mph isn't too fast for a twelve year old though.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^^ There are some go-karts that go that fast and there's plenty of 12 year olds running those.

Jeff Gordon was in a full blown Sprint Car at 14. I am not making a case for the age, I'm just throwing it out there that this has been going on for quite some time.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:36 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

To me, a full sized race car that only goes 40-45 MPH seems like it should be much safer than a Bandolero, Legend Car, or Go-Kart which, at tracks around here, go at least 20 MPH faster than that, and Legends cars are twice as fast. It must have just been some kind of freak accident. That is of course assuming that the car was a properly built race car with all the typical safety equipment.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:22 pm 

Its a small pic, but this is the car pre-crash.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Slightly bigger version from the photographers page. Don't know how much you can really tell from a picture though
http://chuckgreen.zenfolio.com/p2842141 ... 3#hf5918a3

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

markmartinfan wrote:
To me, a full sized race car that only goes 40-45 MPH seems like it should be much safer than a Bandolero, Legend Car, or Go-Kart which, at tracks around here, go at least 20 MPH faster than that, and Legends cars are twice as fast. It must have just been some kind of freak accident. That is of course assuming that the car was a properly built race car with all the typical safety equipment.

http://baynews9.com/content/news/baynew ... n_cra.html
You tell me. That looks like a dirt bike helmet and some awful welds on the cage from those pics at least.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - It's one thing for a 12-16 year old to be able to drive fast and run up front. It's another thing to be a 12-16 year old kid that can do that, be socially adjusted and be someone sponsors want to associate with (ie. not as exciting as a box of rocks).

westracing01 wrote:
^^ There are some go-karts that go that fast and there's plenty of 12 year olds running those.

Jeff Gordon was in a full blown Sprint Car at 14. I am not making a case for the age, I'm just throwing it out there that this has been going on for quite some time.

I think the difference is in a kart, dirt bike or open wheel car you know going in what can happen when things go wrong. When guys get into stockcars, they think they're Superman and that nothing's going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think there must be some safety issue with the cars if you could get nearly killed going 40 miles an hour head on into a wall. Even if it is head on. Either that, or it is just a freak accident.

I wonder if the issue comes from the fact that they are stripped down street cars. Perhaps there was a structural issue with the car in the first place? It may have just been bought from a junk yard. And I'm not sure about those roll bars.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Damn... I hit a concrete wall head on at 45 miles per hour in a Toyota Corolla and wasn't even hurt. Very strange and unfortunate indeed.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's being reported now by local news outlets that Tyler Morr has passed due to his injuries. Confirmed by Sheriff's Deputies
http://www.theledger.com/article/201205 ... edway-Dies
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/ba ... cer_w.html

Quote:
AUBURNDALE | A 12-year-old boy whose stock car crashed at the Auburndale Speedway died from his injuries Wednesday, deputies said.

Tyler Morr, of Arcadia, died at 3:15 p.m., according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office. He had been receiving treatment at All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:37 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

First of all, the cars are re-inforced with the roll bars and extra junk on there so they are stiffer than a street car, so comparing someone to crashing in a street car at 45 mph and one of these at 45mph is apples and oranges. The street car would crumple and give so that there would be energy taken away. One of those cars, I bet they dont give a whole lot and not much energy was taken away from the driver. Second of all, in the pic, I dont see a HANS or head restraint of some sort on the child. A 45mph head on impact in a car that doesnt give much, into an object(concrete wall) that doesnt give at all = injury. Do the same thing in a street car and I bet the kid survives with injuries, none of which would have been a severe head injury.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 am 

For anyone maybe near The Columbus Mississippi area, there is going to be two big Sprint car races At Columbus Speedway Friday and Saturday Night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

K_Sherman wrote:
There were only 14 late models for the FUP race. Top 8 qualifiers drew randomly for their starting spots. Jonathan Guy (track owners son) drew the #1 spot. Daniel Webster started 2nd. Guy led the majority of the 100 lap race. On a restart with around 30 laps to go, Webster got underneath Guy and blew by him going into turn 3, but the caution came out for a spin in turn 1 before they got back to the line so positions reverted back to the previous run lap, so Guy went back to the lead. It got down to about 20 to go before Webster took another shot at the lead. He got a fender on him in 3 and a door on him off 4. At that point I didn't see who moved into who but they got together going down the front stretch sending Webber spinning into the infield and nearly ramping off one of the dirt mounds housing the light poles.

Found video of this today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8AI#t=120s

Looking at it now, Webster should have been the leader after that caution, he came across the line as the leader before the caution even came close to coming out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Score one for the old guys.

Quote:
MIDWEST: 67-year-old Al Schill Sr. made a three-wide pass to score the win over Lowell Bennett and Dennis Prunty at Slinger Speedway on Sunday night. 1) Schill 2) Prunty 3) Bennett 4) Mike Egan 5) Chris Blawat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Practice for the Howie Lettow Memorial 150 has gotten under way. 80 cars are entered for this race including current and former Nascar drivers Rusty Wallace, Aric Almirola, David Ragan, David Stremme, Matt Kenseth, Johnny and Tim Sauter, Rich Bickle and more. The fastest car in practice was John Hunter Nemechek, son of Joe Nemechek. Here are the top 10 in practice:

1. John Hunter Nemechek
2. Becca Kasten
3. Jeremy Lepak
4. Dan Fredrickson
5. Jerry Sharp Jr. (subbing for Boris Jurkovic, who's at work)
6. Chris Wimmer
7. Kelly Bires
8. Rusty Wallace
9. Tim Sauter
10. Jeff Storm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

John Hunter Nemechek was the fastest in final practice, one day after his 15th birthday. Rusty Wallace had to change engines after final practice after an oil pump broke. Here are the top 10 from final practice.

1. John Hunter Nemechek
2. Travis Sauter (Tim's son)
3. Trey Mitchell
4. Jeremy Lepak
5. Chris Wimmer
6. Thor Anderson
7. Becca Kasten
8. Jeff Choquette
9. Brett Kirchner
10. Jerry Sharp

Former ASA Champion Butch Miller has been helping Ross and Matt Kenseth set up their cars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

John Hunter Nemechek won the pole for tonight's Howie Lettow Memorial 150. Rusty Wallace and David Stremme were made "Promotors Choices" and will start 41st and 42nd in the race.

The top 26 drivers in qualifying are locked in on time. The remaining 43 drivers are going to be divided into 10 lap qualifying races with the top 3 advancing from each race. There will then be 5 provisional starters (likely ASA Midwest Touring regulars based on their points position). The remaining drivers will compete in a last chance race with the winner advancing to the 150 lapper. Some of the drivers that didn't make it in on time include Johnny Sauter, Aric Almirola, Kelly Bires and Ross Kenseth. Kenseth is starting 17th in his qualifying race, so he has a tall test ahead of him to make the 150 lapper through the qualifying race.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Advancing from qualifying race 1 are:

1. Austin Theriault (driving for Brad Keselowski)
2. Johnny Sauter (driving for Richie Wauters)
3. Matt Tifft

The race went caution free.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Advancing from Race 2 are:

1. Jeff Choquette
2. Cardell Potter
3. Gary Lamonte (who barely held off Joey Kocourek for the final transfer spot)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35140 Next