TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 30, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I bet David Pearson wishes they had this system back when he was running.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NASCAR wants to be a stick and ball sport. That's a fact. That's what they compare themselves to.

With that said, let us say that a football team (American Football) loses it starting QB for the first 6 games of the season. Backup comes in, does mediocre, goes 2-4. Back comes the starter and he leads his team to a 10-6 overall record and a wildcard spot in the playoffs. They wind up winning the Superbowl and the NFL Championship. Does the starting QB not get a Superbowl ring? Is he not considered a Championship winning QB?

I give you Kyle Busch. That's exactly the scenario that played out this year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:18 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

So we should consider JGR/Adam Stevens the "poster-boy" champions of 2015? Just because a good team helped a driver to become champion, does not mean I'm fine with the championship format.

nah, I don't buy that. NASCAR just wants to be IN YOUR FACE as much as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

westracing01 wrote:
NASCAR wants to be a stick and ball sport. That's a fact. That's what they compare themselves to.

With that said, let us say that a football team (American Football) loses it starting QB for the first 6 games of the season. Backup comes in, does mediocre, goes 2-4. Back comes the starter and he leads his team to a 10-6 overall record and a wildcard spot in the playoffs. They wind up winning the Superbowl and the NFL Championship. Does the starting QB not get a Superbowl ring? Is he not considered a Championship winning QB?

I give you Kyle Busch. That's exactly the scenario that played out this year.

Football teams earn wins and losses regardless of who is playing QB. But in NASCAR the title is awarded on driver points. That's why it's particularly fucked up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:29 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

So that would be the best proof that not every race matters anymore. He didn't even have to run a race until May and it ended up not costing him a thing in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:51 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Should we allow NFL teams that clinch a playoff spot at week 13 to skip the rest of the season so no one gets hurt?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:07 pm 

I will concede that Kyle is a very talented driver.

But he's such a douche. Just like, a massive douche. And he tried to kill someone in a truck race. Properly. So why does he still have a license?

This, and only this, is a valid reason for disallowing him the championship IMHO.

Yours,

A thoughtful Nascar viewer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:20 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

People don't die in NASCAR anymore.

We treat broken legs like a plane full of orphans slamming into the side of a mountain. Especially if one of those orphans might win a race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tristar 7AT wrote:
Should we allow NFL teams that clinch a playoff spot at week 13 to skip the rest of the season so no one gets hurt?

They can sort of do that... Actually, they sometimes do. If they have nothing left to play for (home field and first round bye locked up) they'll set all the starters so they don't get hurt.

I hate the Chase as much as the next guy. I want the old system back, but it ain't gonna happen. With the talk of franchising, don't be surprised if the Championship eventually morphs into some sort of Team Title.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tom wrote:
I will concede that Kyle is a very talented driver.

But he's such a douche. Just like, a massive douche. And he tried to kill someone in a truck race. Properly. So why does he still have a license?

This, and only this, is a valid reason for disallowing him the championship IMHO.

Yours,

A thoughtful Nascar viewer.

An accurate depiction of a Nascar fan, who condemns Kyle for the one time he lost his mind, and conveniently forgets about Dale Earnhardt, who regularly tried to kill people during the time when Nascar drivers actually died.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^^^ I said this during the Kenseth\Logano debacle, but aside from Richmond '86, when did Dale ever do what Kyle\Matt did?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

westracing01 wrote:
Tristar 7AT wrote:

They can sort of do that... Actually, they sometimes do. If they have nothing left to play for (home field and first round bye locked up) they'll set all the starters so they don't get hurt.

I hate the Chase as much as the next guy. I want the old system back, but it ain't gonna happen. With the talk of franchising, don't be surprised if the Championship eventually morphs into some sort of Team Title.

That's my point right there, it's a team that wins, not an individual player. I think that's where things get mixed up trying to compare racing and stick n ball sports.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

With all the frustration of Kyle missing races and still winning the title, my question is: should the 18 team be the owners champion and the 4 team be the drivers champion then?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Andre wrote:
^^^ I said this during the Kenseth\Logano debacle, but aside from Richmond '86, when did Dale ever do what Kyle\Matt did?

The closest I can come up with was Jack Ingram literally trying to kill a guy during a late model race and getting a two-race ban in BGN for it.

Last edited by Cartman on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:38 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Make the team championship part of the chase, overall points through the year the drivers championship.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

nascar is basically football. mission accomplished brian france

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kyle petty is the only voice of reason left in footballcar, which is kind of crazy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tristar 7AT wrote:
westracing01 wrote:
Tristar 7AT wrote:

That's my point right there, it's a team that wins, not an individual player. I think that's where things get mixed up trying to compare racing and stick n ball sports.

Really though, it's the same in racing. Drivers cannot win without the team. We've just never given the credit to the team, always the driver. And rightfully so I suppose. They are certainly the most focused on so why wouldn't the credit and the title's go to them? But in reality, the #18 JGR Team won the 2016 Sprint Cup Championship.

I suppose you could split it Team and Driver. In that case, the Sprint Cup Championship would go to the #18, while the 2015 Drivers Champion would be Harvick... Possible place to sell more sponsorships if you split them off like that.

Last edited by westracing01 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:11 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I think that's the only situation where the system works for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow that Ingram thing wasn't even in a NASCAR-sanctioned event (was it?) and they lowered the boom... a 2 race suspension, too. Hah!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next