TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
SimRacin14 wrote:
ESPN's commentary crew for the NASCAR broadcasts just suck.

This is all you need to know.

I had the sound muted all race lol. If I wanted to get dumber whilst watching, I would put the sound on but no thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

TNT is awesome. If anyone needed an example, just watch the finish of each July Daytona race the past 3 years. :flag:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:14 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

The only reason why they suck (besides Weber) is that they air too many commercials. But aren't we used to that by now?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:00 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

And they've already gotten rid of Weber and replaced him with someone that can call a race right. Ralph Sheheen is tremendously underrated, as is TNT. My only gripe with them is that they don't get enough races. FOX is obnoxious, shoves an anthromorphic gopher down your throat, and generally is annoying with their commentators (Mike Joy, Dick Berggren, Steve Byrnes, and Matt Yocum are the exception, and three of those men are pit reporters). ESPN's team sometimes doesn't even give a shit. Jerry Punch and Alan Bestwick are both mis-cast. Punch was great in the pits, and Bestwick was great in the play-by-play role. DJ and Petree just sound bored.

Meanwhile, TNT's got a broadcast that keeps you enthralled, and interested. Personally, I wish all the networks did something like their "Pride of NASCAR" deal they had running. Best pre-race pieces around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joey wrote:
And they've already gotten rid of Weber and replaced him with someone that can call a race right. Ralph Sheheen is tremendously underrated, as is TNT. My only gripe with them is that they don't get enough races. FOX is obnoxious, shoves an anthromorphic gopher down your throat, and generally is annoying with their commentators (Mike Joy, Dick Berggren, Steve Byrnes, and Matt Yocum are the exception, and three of those men are pit reporters). ESPN's team sometimes doesn't even give a shit. Jerry Punch and Alan Bestwick are both mis-cast. Punch was great in the pits, and Bestwick was great in the play-by-play role. DJ and Petree just sound bored.

Meanwhile, TNT's got a broadcast that keeps you enthralled, and interested. Personally, I wish all the networks did something like their "Pride of NASCAR" deal they had running. Best pre-race pieces around.

You hit this right on the money, Joey. Personally, I'd rather see Bestwick or even Marty Reid in the ESPN booth because they both get into it when the racing starts to get exciting. Both Jarrett and Petree call a race like they forgot to have their coffee on race morning.

TNT made a great move replacing Weber with Ralph Sheheen, and I could watch that Firecracker 400 finish everyday for the rest of my life if I wanted to with how Sheheen, Kyle Petty, and Wally Dallenbach called that finish. Their pit reporters do a great job, too.

I've always been indifferent about FOX. As Joey mentioned, Mike Joy, Dick Berggren, Steve Byrnes, and Matt Yocum are tolerable, as are Krista Voda and Jeff Hammond. But it always seems like DW and Larry Mac try to be the stars of the telecast, and it can be irritating after a while. And that stupid gohper needs to hit the bricks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:19 pm 

Lest we forget, here's that finish. Such an awesome moment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:07 pm 

For the first few years, I don't mind FOX. It started going downhill when they implement noticeable gimmicks (besides the topbar) around 2005 (sexiest driver in NASCAR? srsly?). Of course, the tipping point is LITTLE DIGGER (don't mind the camera, it's an overused and unfunny gimmick). Mike Joy, Dick Berggren, and Steve Byrnes are the only bearable commentators in the FOX bunch as DW is biased at Toyota, Kyle Busch, Dale Jr., and Michael Waltrip. Larry McReynolds states facts that we already know. Chris Myers sucks and Jeff Hammond...well, at least I don't have to hear him every 5 minutes or so. Of course, it's FOX, they always try to ruin your favorite sport.

ESPN sucked from the very beginning (I mean 2007, anywhere from 1982 to 2000 is anywhere from tolerable to awesome...mainly awesome, especially with Ned Jarrett and Benny Parsons from 1989 onwards). Punch was very out of place, Petree is still boring, Rusty is the type of guy that you wish would just stay out of the booth and become a promoter of sorts. Jarrett, as much as I like him, needs to be awakened. Bestwick was awesome in the PBP booth and I can stand Marty Reid. I don't like Marty, but at least he sounds excited when we have a great battle up front. Oh, and let's not forget the amazing pit reporters (either they suck or they sound like they don't belong there), and Tim Brewer...back to you, Jerry.

Leaving TNT. Underrated, underutilized, and they actually give a crap about the sport. If the NBA on TNT telecasts tell you something, it's that they are a great network when it comes to sports. NASCAR's no different. Of course, Weber sucks. Sheheen in the broadcast booth for Loudon, Daytona, and Chicagoland is the greatest decision TNT has ever made. Kyle Petty is always awesome (anyone who says otherwise is either a FOX fan or a disgruntled NASCAR fan that bitches about TV coverage 51% of the time...the other 49% is under "NA$CAR/NAZICAR lol did u c wat i did thar" file). Wally Dallenbach is tolerable. Irritating at times, but at least he knows the sport from the inside out. The pit reporters are awesome. Get rid of Larry Mac and limit Weber to host and there you go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

Wayne wrote:
Joey wrote:

You hit this right on the money, Joey. Personally, I'd rather see Bestwick or even Marty Reid in the ESPN booth because they both get into it when the racing starts to get exciting. Both Jarrett and Petree call a race like they forgot to have their coffee on race morning.

TNT made a great move replacing Weber with Ralph Sheheen, and I could watch that Firecracker 400 finish everyday for the rest of my life if I wanted to with how Sheheen, Kyle Petty, and Wally Dallenbach called that finish. Their pit reporters do a great job, too.

I've always been indifferent about FOX. As Joey mentioned, Mike Joy, Dick Berggren, Steve Byrnes, and Matt Yocum are tolerable, as are Krista Voda and Jeff Hammond. But it always seems like DW and Larry Mac try to be the stars of the telecast, and it can be irritating after a while. And that stupid gohper needs to hit the bricks.

Why can't the cars actually run over Digger. :(

But as far as the TV coverage goes, TNT got pretty shafted to be honest. They've by far done the best job out of the 3 networks, in terms of both production values and the actual commentary, since the new deal started back in '07. Granted, they've had some of the more intresting races such as Sonoma and Daytona, but when you look at how much ESPN and FOX control NASCAR in terms of television right now, it makes it all the more impressive. Whenver NASCAR does the next TV deal, TNT needs to get bumped up to 12 races, and have ESPN go down to 12 races. Make it an even 1/3 of the season for all 3 networks. Everyone was sick to death of ESPN before they even started Indy coverage their first year back and it seems like more people have been listening to MRN and PRN instead of the crap ESPN calls commentary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:12 pm 

TM93 wrote:
Everyone was sick to death of ESPN before they even started Indy coverage their first year back and it seems like more people have been listening to MRN and PRN instead of the crap ESPN calls commentary.

Oh right, I forgot all about the NASCAR Busch Series.

They should just scatter the schedule by a bit. No programming conflicts. If ESPN2 is more interested in a college basketball game, give the race to FOX or TNT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:16 pm 

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Get rid of Larry Mac and limit Weber to host and there you go.

I sincerely doubt that Weber's even going to be that. Chances are, Turner Sports probably fired him.

Gael wrote:
I SAID GO FISH BITCH.

I mean, seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:16 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

Yeah.

Awesome view of Logano's flip from the stands:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 pm 

It's actually more surreal being there in person to see that crash. You'd pick up sounds that you normally don't hear on TV.

read: great footage. (this considering that I saw that same video on SRD)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:11 pm 

...Yahoo.com :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
It's actually more surreal being there in person to see that crash. You'd pick up sounds that you normally don't hear on TV.

I agree. I was in turn 4 and had a great view. I was in the same place in 2004 for that huge 19 car wreck. It was the same feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:05 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:lol: That was the exact same image, without the captions of course, that was in my newspaper this morning, and I just couldn't help but laugh at those fans with their backs turned to the flip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:04 am 

Temiree wrote:

That's actually pretty funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Temiree wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haha awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Temiree wrote:

\o/

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next