TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1898 899 900 901 9021060 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

basically we will know when the debris cautions are now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Please do the Kulwicki paint scheme.... Please!

Quote:
Hooters to sponsor Chase Elliott: Hooters has joined 12-time NASCAR Cup Series champions Hendrick Motorsports as a primary sponsor of driver Chase Elliott and the #24 Chevrolet SS team beginning in 2017. A casual dining establishment with a deep history in NASCAR, Hooters will be a two-race primary sponsor and full-season associate sponsor of the #24 team in both 2017 and 2018. The Hooters Chevrolet SS will debut May 7 at Talladega Superspeedway and appear again during the Chase for the NASCAR Cup Nov. 12 at Phoenix International Raceway. Hooters has been a primary sponsor in more than 150 Cup-level races, notably as the full-season sponsor of 1992 premier series champion Alan Kulwicki. That year, Kulwicki won two races and narrowly edged Elliott's father, 1989 Cup champion Bill Elliott, by 10 points to win the title. As part of the new relationship, Hooters has launched a full year of promotions, exclusive content and commemorative merchandise for fans at www.hooters.com. Beginning today, fans can register for the chance to win a trip for two to meet Elliott and cheer on the No. 24 team from pit road at the Nov. 12 Phoenix race. Everyone who registers will receive a $5 off certificate toward their next visit to Hooters. For a limited time, the first fans to register can also purchase collectible limited-edition $24 Hooters gift cards commemorating Elliott and the new #24 Hooters Chevy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just know if they don't do something, anything, we are going to run out of grandstands to tear down.

I feel Monster had more to do with the format changes than NASCAR did. I think that's why the negotiations took so long.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Please do the Kulwicki paint scheme.... Please!

Quote:
Hooters to sponsor Chase Elliott: Hooters has joined 12-time NASCAR Cup Series champions Hendrick Motorsports as a primary sponsor of driver Chase Elliott and the #24 Chevrolet SS team beginning in 2017. A casual dining establishment with a deep history in NASCAR, Hooters will be a two-race primary sponsor and full-season associate sponsor of the #24 team in both 2017 and 2018. The Hooters Chevrolet SS will debut May 7 at Talladega Superspeedway and appear again during the Chase for the NASCAR Cup Nov. 12 at Phoenix International Raceway. Hooters has been a primary sponsor in more than 150 Cup-level races, notably as the full-season sponsor of 1992 premier series champion Alan Kulwicki. That year, Kulwicki won two races and narrowly edged Elliott's father, 1989 Cup champion Bill Elliott, by 10 points to win the title. As part of the new relationship, Hooters has launched a full year of promotions, exclusive content and commemorative merchandise for fans at http://www.hooters.com. Beginning today, fans can register for the chance to win a trip for two to meet Elliott and cheer on the No. 24 team from pit road at the Nov. 12 Phoenix race. Everyone who registers will receive a $5 off certificate toward their next visit to Hooters. For a limited time, the first fans to register can also purchase collectible limited-edition $24 Hooters gift cards commemorating Elliott and the new #24 Hooters Chevy.

Nope

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

zabmoto17 wrote:
Not sure what to make of this. I really don't like the idea of it. I prefer the old points structure and the old season formats to this new crap. I'm not going to scream some stupid shit about not being a fan anymore, because I will be. I just don't get as much into it anymore. It's more for entertainment that sport anymore.

i posted this somewhere else, but the championship has never really been the draw in my mind. when i think back to the pre-COT days its not the championships that stand out, but the individual races and on-track product. reducing downforce levels last year was great step in the right direction, and tbh, i dont really care what they do with the points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spoiler out of the Officials meeting:

Spoiler:
All races split into 3 segments. Points awarded 10-1 through the top 10 at the end of each. Race is official after 2 segments completed. Final segment will be the longest. All 3 series beginning with Daytona. Caution clock no longer will be used in the truck series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

WOO NO CAUTION CLOCK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm cool with this. It's not really that ridiculous or radical as feared.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It depends if they treat the segments as races (and allow people out of segment 1 to restart segment 2 in backup car) or whether the segments are treated like the All-star race whether it'll work.

if it's the latter it won't work as everybody will just poodle around sucking their thumbs until the final segment because they'll all know to get into the Chase you have to win the race not a segment and you won't win by binning it fighting for those bonus points awarded for fifth at the end of segment 1...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:08 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They saying in the meeting ever race matters now that they are having 3 segments.
Maybe Races could get better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:14 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm hoping they mean they'll dish out points at certain distances rather than actual segments where they stop the cars in between. Every race getting arbitrarily stopped twice an afternoon is going to get old very quickly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Think of every race like the AllStar race.

Was I the only one who answered the "what was the motives behind these changes?" question out loud with the single word "pot!"?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

These format changes aren't as bad as I imagined, but in general I'm against fake cautions er i mean segments. I like the idea of adding more purpose to the "regular season" races.

None of these changes address the actual race-ability of the cars though. And we still have to wait 5 years until most of the track contracts end. Maybe then we'll see some schedule shakeups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm kind of intrigued by some of the changes. It will take laying back for much of the race at Daytona and Talladega out of the equation because there are points on the line now. I also like the fact that the first 26 races will mean more for the entire chase and not just the first round of the chase. I'll be interested to see how this will all play out on the track.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think if you don't try and over think it too much and leave the calculations to the TV crew it could be interesting, but I do have to wonder what they were smoking when they came up with this, the old system was confusing enough (my dad still doesn't understand the Chase), people wanted it simpler, so they make it even more complicated - duhh!

LOL at the "It wasn't just all Brad's idea, he did have adult supervision this time" comment...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The top 10 in the Duels will be awarded points like a stage. I like that it makes the Duels worth something. They are also dropping the term Chase and now just calling them playoffs.

Last edited by ChrisTRD on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sounds like a slight move towards a touring car-style 3 sprint race weekend, which I'm ok with.

But if they're smart they'll put GNS and Trucks on between the segments, and invert a random number of starters before segment 3 :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
The top 10 in the Duels will be awarded points like a stage. I like that it makes the Duels worth something.

Did the duels really need to be worth more though? The threat of not qualifying for the 500 has injected enough drama in the past. I guess not having enough entries for anyone to miss the field takes a bit of that away though...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:
The top 10 in the Duels will be awarded points like a stage. I like that it makes the Duels worth something.

Did the duels really need to be worth more though? The threat of not qualifying for the 500 has injected enough drama in the past. I guess not having enough entries for anyone to miss the field takes a bit of that away though...

The old top 35 and now Charter system takes away any real interest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Meh, more gimmicky bullshit. They'll keep doing all these gymnastic instead of just going to the root of the problem and making significant and meaningful changes to the cars.

I could almost live with these changes to an extent if the Chase didn't exist. Because awarding more points at partial distances is pretty fucking counter-intuitive when points themselves have meant less and less since 2004.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1898 899 900 901 9021060 Next