TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 162 63 64 65 66140 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer612008 wrote:
They had another bad wreck at Wythe tonight in UCARS
https://www.facebook.com/pitrowtv/video ... 583087398/

Interview with Jonathan Sullivan after his terrible crash at Wythe Saturday night. This video also features an outside angle of the flip he had at Wythe last month as well as a panoramic view of the remains of the car from Saturday. The damage to this car is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:58 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

westracing01 wrote:
joha107 wrote:
Yep, Crate is definitely where it's at, with DIRT changing the tire and wheel rules to match everyone else this year, save for tracks running American Racers, it's made it a lot easier to travel and the car counts have come back up into the 40s in the series races. Opens will probably be all but dead in the next two years, they've still managed to survive down in the Tier and PA, but even then the fields are being filled out by Crates.

The Sourthern Tier and PA boys have always marched to the beat of a slightly different drum. When Deyo runs his races, unless they changed something since the last one I was at, the mods can run with or without sail panels, can run alchy or gas and there's a couple other I can't remember. Maybe different c.u.i.? The NJ guys are the same way at some of the tracks. CN and NY are the only real DIRT (Sanction) strongholds... And it's really just CNY at that.

Yeah, the alcohol is to accommodate the PA guys, and I believe PA allows the larger small block motors, I think it's also to allow the Woodhull 370 CI Mods to run. It's interesting during a long race because they have to allow the alcohol cars a chance to refuel.

Rolling Wheels is running their second race of the year tomorrow night, Modifieds, 360 Sprint Cars and Sportsman on the card, Mod portion will be televised on MAVTV next month. I got called today to fill in for one of the pit officials, so I'm assisting the pit steward in some way, not real sure what I'll be doing, find out when I get there I guess, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Probably posting the lineups on the board, making sure guys are ready for their heats, keeping general order in whatever section of the pit you get, etc.

Ole Mr. Donnelly certainly didn't waste any time getting The Wheels up and running right. Pretty sure that wily old bastard knew the shit was gonna hit the fan at the fairgrounds. Even though no official announcement has happened, I expect SDW 2016 to be at Rolling Wheels with the following years at the new CNY Raceway Park... Donnelly wins either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Yep, that was pretty much what I did, wasn't sure because I couldn't get clarification on who I was replacing from the first night. Went well, I ended up taking care of running line ups down and putting them on the board and lining the cars up for all the Mod and Sportsman events since the pit steward was busy answering questions and complaints, plus checking out and in the radios since RW doesn't have their own so we had to bring ours down from Can-Am. Did pretty good for the first time ever doing it, had everyone lined up correct save for maybe one car every now and then in the heats since the staging area is a little narrow. Features I had completely right even with trying to get 28 cars lined up for each, and no complaints from Mr. Donnelly about our end of the operation so that's always a good sign.

Was exhausting though, we were running behind all night and had lots of yellow fever to add on to it, so I was doing a lot of running back and forth trying to move things along as quickly as I could from our end, got home at 2 am and had to be up early to teach summer school. Track was in good shape, but I carpooled with the flaggers and they had quite a bit of SYNDI on their faces on the ride home so I don't know that it is a completely dustless surface, lol. Also I have no idea who won anything, I was so busy I only got brief glimpses of some of the racing action.

Tonight at Can-Am we are doing a fan and driver appreciation night, free admission for fans, free admission into the pits, plus my grandparents company is sponsoring so I will have a lot of extra family and friends there that haven't seen me work, which has me a little nervous. I am extremely curious to see what kind of crowd and car counts we get with this, it will be a very interesting experiment, and hopefully a successful one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Holy shit free to get in for the both the cars and the fans? That place will be madness. Kudo's to Can-Am for a REAL fan appreciation night.

SYNDI is what it is. Definitely not dustless. The experiment failed at Brewerton. Supposedly The Wheels isn't as bad, but dust and Rolling Wheels good together like beer and pretzels. Short of an act by Christ himself, there will always be dust.

Friessen won the Sprints, Hearn won the Mods. Don't know about the Sportsman.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speed51 will stream the Southern Super Series season finale from Five Flags on September 26 for free. There will be a blackout for those within 200 miles of the track however.
http://southernsuperseries.com/free-51- ... _refQuery=

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WoO Late Models had a pretty good race at Fairbury last Saturday :flag:

going to Bowman Gray on Friday night as the Legend Cars & Bandoleros have their annual race there. Would be racing in it if I could, as it's my favorite race to run as far as Legends go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was at Kingsport speedway Friday night. Kingsport is a miniature Bristol, for those who have never been there. 1/4 mile concrete high banked short track. The racing there was fantastic Friday night, much better than Lonesome Pine who is ran under the same ownership group.

Anyway, a savage crash happened at the checkers of the Rookie Pure 4 race as the top 5 cars were all under a blanket and 2nd and 3rd got together and went full bore into the inside wall at the S/F line. Apparently an altercation happened after the race somewhere away from the track and for that reason, the ENTIRE Rookie Pure 4 division has been put on suspension this week. There were 16 drivers in that race. That's a lot of drivers to punish for an incident involving two drivers.

Can't say I have ever seen that anywhere, even at Bowman Gray. I know video of the crash was posted to Facebook, but I can't find it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the Race of Champions 200 Asphalt Modified race is changing venues again, moving from Oswego to Chemung this time according to Area Auto Racing News

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

SecretAgentHarvick wrote:
Apparently an altercation happened after the race somewhere away from the track and for that reason, the ENTIRE Rookie Pure 4 division has been put on suspension this week. There were 16 drivers in that race. That's a lot of drivers to punish for an incident involving two drivers.

Can't say I have ever seen that anywhere, even at Bowman Gray. I know video of the crash was posted to Facebook, but I can't find it.

I wanted to do that with my Street Stock division this week, we ran twin features and I lost track of how many times I had to scold them over the radio in the first feature about using their heads so that we would have cars for the second one. Then in the second one we had a driver blatantly spin out another under caution, which got him booted for the night, and led to them waiting in the pits to fight, and led to the state troopers being called. Just typical Street Stock racing, been that way since the beginning of time, which is why it has and always will be my favorite form of racing, because despite all the shenanigans, the racing when they weren't wrecking was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer612008 wrote:
the Race of Champions 200 Asphalt Modified race is changing venues again, moving from Oswego to Chemung this time according to Area Auto Racing News

Good move. The Mods at Oswego are TERRIBLE. Not an issue with the cars exactly but Oswego is not the track for them. It's too much of a momemtum track with little outside groove to work with. The mods can't quite get to the bumper of the guy in front to move him up, and if they do, that poor bastard is losing 5 spots because there's no grip out there for anything except one or two of the top Super guys. Likewise, if you're that much faster than the guy in front, you have no where to go if he's hugging the bottom.

I slept through one 200 lapper and at least two more 75 lap Modified races there.

I expect better car counts at a smaller track as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:38 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

westracing01 wrote:
racer612008 wrote:

Good move. The Mods at Oswego are TERRIBLE. Not an issue with the cars exactly but Oswego is not the track for them. It's too much of a momemtum track with little outside groove to work with. The mods can't quite get to the bumper of the guy in front to move him up, and if they do, that poor bastard is losing 5 spots because there's no grip out there for anything except one or two of the top Super guys. Likewise, if you're that much faster than the guy in front, you have no where to go if he's hugging the bottom.

I slept through one 200 lapper and at least two more 75 lap Modified races there.

I expect better car counts at a smaller track as well.

Chemung is too small of a track for the mods imo. You need to be able to stretch your legs a bit yet keep it close. Come over to lancaster. That track is built for modifieds, both sportsman/SST and full mods. Ask Richie Evans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:48 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

For anyone who has been to Super Dirt Week I was wonder if you have any advice. Particularly with tickets, I'm only planning on being there Saturday and Sunday but are there any good deals to watch out for and where's the best place to sit? Also, is there a risk they'll sell out before race day?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

went to Bowman Gray tonight, Danny Bohn was pretty fast and was the only car that could really compete against the Myers brothers in the first race, but Burt dumped him and Jason won. Bohn won the 2nd race though. For the most part the races were tame though. The Legends races were alright (just wished I was in the race lol). Left as the Stadium Stock feature started though and heard that was a mess.

the ultimate start n' park happened at Southside tonight

driver broke a axle in practice and they let him at least start as he is 3rd in points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

heard they had a nasty crash in the Legends race at Hawkeye Downs, they had to cancel the rest of the races for the night. Hope everyone makes it out ok

edit: driver was unresponsive in the car and CPR was preformed
http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/public ... s-20150731

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:00 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

racer612008 wrote:
the ultimate start n' park happened at Southside tonight

driver broke a axle in practice and they let him at least start as he is 3rd in points

Southside's rule is that as long as you present the car at the start of the race they'll give you last place points. Typically a crew would just push the car onto the track and then push it off when the parade laps started, but I guess they didn't feel like waiting around to see who won the race.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:07 pm 

Wish I was there at Southside to see that. It's been a good ten plus years since I've gone, how is the racing there? It's my local track so I feel like I should support it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:13 pm 

racer612008 wrote:
heard they had a nasty crash in the Legends race at Hawkeye Downs, they had to cancel the rest of the races for the night. Hope everyone makes it out ok

edit: driver was unresponsive in the car and CPR was preformed
http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/public ... s-20150731

Reading that article, they stress using proper safety equipment so much it makes one wonder if she wasn't using something she should have. Thoughts and prayers for her. Any other forums or sites that might have more info and a way to keep tabs on the outcome?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:17 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Oh boy, I'm glad I don't have to deal with this drama anymore: http://www.southsidespeedway.com/ vs. http://southsidespeedway.net/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

markmartinfan wrote:
Oh boy, I'm glad I don't have to deal with this drama anymore: http://www.southsidespeedway.com/ vs. http://southsidespeedway.net/

I got a kick out of the car showcased on the poster on the "official" website is the car on the trailer on track for the race. :p

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 162 63 64 65 66140 Next