TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1610 611 612 613 6141060 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Martin, a graduate of Frostburg State University where she majored in Mass Communications, previously worked for WSOC-TV in Charlotte. She also served as an intern for Fox News Channel and was a student reporter at Richmond International Raceway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NASCAR is adding a half inch on the rear spoiler for Daytona. Thank God, maybe we will see some passing now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Did they rule out the wicker on the roof?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

zippy wrote:
NASCAR is adding a half inch on the rear spoiler for Daytona. Thank God, maybe we will see some passing now.

That's awesome news. The draft will be stronger, and the cars will be a little more stable. Normally I like the cars to be on edge, but they were just a little too on edge at Daytona with the low downforce package so nobody wanted to take risks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FAS Lane Racing and Go Green Racing are joining forces for the 2014 Sprint Cup Season.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/GO-GREEN-RACING-AND-FAS-LANE-RACING-ENTER-INTO-JOINT-VENTURE-FOR-THE-2014-SEASON-AND-BEYOND.html?soid=1112786617224&aid=yQKmhtqTBjk

I hope this results in an improvement in performance for the team. It makes sense for them to bring in an experienced crew chief so Frankie Stoddard doesn't have to split his focus between being a crew chief and a team owner, who is trying to grow his team.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
UPS to end NASCAR involvement after 2014: UPS notified NASCAR and Roush Fenway Racing that it plans to end its sponsorship of the sport and team following the '14 Sprint Cup season. The move comes after UPS in 2012 dropped its full-season primary sponsorship of the #6 Cup entry then driven by David Ragan. The company has shifted its focus over the last several years from NASCAR to college sports, signing one of the first national sponsorships with IMG College. UPS signed a four-year, $100M deal with 68 colleges in August '11. UPS is the latest in a series of blue-chip sponsors to end their official NASCAR agreements, including PNG and DirecTV. Meanwhile, NASCAR added HP and Sherwin-Williams as sponsors this year. NASCAR Chief Sales Officer Jim O'Connell in a statement said, "UPS has been a fantastic partner to NASCAR over the last decade-and-a-half. As we celebrate its long and successful tenure, we also welcome seven new companies to the family of Official NASCAR Partners." UPS PR Dir Susan Rosenberg added in a statement, "UPS has enjoyed tremendous success through its partnership with NASCAR, including sponsorships at the league, team and track level. The business-to-business opportunities provided within NASCAR have proven valuable to UPS and have helped achieve desired results and accomplished the goals we set forth. The UPS decision to exit NASCAR is strictly a business decision to align with new business priorities."(Sports Business Daily)(12-24-2013)

Dying Sport

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:23 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the bottom half of the field is the best its looked in a while despite still being garbage

still have to hold on as to who BK Racing decides to hire despite it making little difference

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:29 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
zippy wrote:

That's awesome news. The draft will be stronger, and the cars will be a little more stable. Normally I like the cars to be on edge, but they were just a little too on edge at Daytona with the low downforce package so nobody wanted to take risks.

Even though I was basically okay with the package, I'm glad the change they decided to make is a small one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Carl Long forming own Nationwide team: According to a post on his website, Carl Long will operate a Nationwide team in 2014:
"I am putting my own team back on the track in 2014. I This effort will be a combination of people. First is Gregg Mixon and partner, they have purchased two Penske Dodges so far. I have different people who have helped me attain 3 more Penske Dodges. JC Blum owns one car at moment, and plans are being made for him. John Carter, owner of the #37 and #08 cup cars I drove a few years ago, has contributed with parts to help me with Daytona. Chuck Friedel owner of #54 nationwide car I raced at Dover some years ago has made the purchase of Penske Dodges possible. Chuck and his wife Joan have been supporting my racing effort for the last few years. Although limited, we now will be able to put all stuff together. I have a purchase pending of a Toyota team equipment. I have a few drivers that may work through us to on their own car and race under our banner. Otherwise, myself and Matt Carter will do [start and park] to keep payroll while we look for sponsors and develop the team. We will be using Penske engines and looking at different locations for the shop. If a funded driver is available to race, Matt will do the S&P and I will get out of the seat. Hope to give a formal announcement in weeks ahead."(Carl Long)(12-26-2013)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Slow news week, so I'll post this odd pic from the mid-late 70's:

Either this was a primitive "prototype" NASCAR logo, or whoever was in charge of painting the hauler did a poor job at it. Regardless, it's pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racefan4ever wrote:
Quote:
Carl Long forming own Nationwide team: According to a post on his website, Carl Long will operate a Nationwide team in 2014:
"I am putting my own team back on the track in 2014. I This effort will be a combination of people. First is Gregg Mixon and partner, they have purchased two Penske Dodges so far. I have different people who have helped me attain 3 more Penske Dodges. JC Blum owns one car at moment, and plans are being made for him. John Carter, owner of the #37 and #08 cup cars I drove a few years ago, has contributed with parts to help me with Daytona. Chuck Friedel owner of #54 nationwide car I raced at Dover some years ago has made the purchase of Penske Dodges possible. Chuck and his wife Joan have been supporting my racing effort for the last few years. Although limited, we now will be able to put all stuff together. I have a purchase pending of a Toyota team equipment. I have a few drivers that may work through us to on their own car and race under our banner. Otherwise, myself and Matt Carter will do [start and park] to keep payroll while we look for sponsors and develop the team. We will be using Penske engines and looking at different locations for the shop. If a funded driver is available to race, Matt will do the S&P and I will get out of the seat. Hope to give a formal announcement in weeks ahead."(Carl Long)(12-26-2013)

I don't see this team being remotely competitive. Matt Carter is the only ingredient in this that has been competitive in anything on a regular basis in the last decade and that was in ARCA when he replaced Frank Kimmel in the #46 car and they are planning on him being a glorified valet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Pontiac-Gr ... eet_Legal_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just need about $74k more and it's mine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It might be odd but I've always wanted an IROC Series Firebird to convert to street legal and just drive around town, climbing in and out of the window wherever I go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If I ever won the Powerball or Mega Millions I'd bring back the IROC Series.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racefan4ever wrote:
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:57 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

I CAME IN LIKE A WREE-CKING BALLLLL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

lmao

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's awesome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love this old article from 2009

Quote:
The late Joe Weatherly was NASCAR’s original “Clown Prince,” a driver who loved to have a great time and went to great lengths to make sure everyone around him enjoyed themselves as well.

Delma Cowart was the most recent driver to wear the “Clown” crown. The Savannah, Ga., native ran his first race in the division now known as Sprint Cup at Atlanta Motor Speedway in 1981. He ran 21 races over an eight-year span before an incident during the NASCAR All-Star race in the mid-1990s ended his Cup career.

It was a vintage Delma Cowart affair.

He showed up to run the preliminary race now known as the Sprint Showdown.

His engine blew in practice, and his crew spent the whole afternoon trying to make the repairs.

They finished their work just as prayer was said and the National Anthem sung. The only thing missing: the required NASCAR inspection.

“They said, ‘Gentleman, start your engines,’ so I cranked mine up in the garage area,” said Cowart, 67. “I hopped in it and drove by the tech shed, but it was locked up.”

He figured, “What the heck?” so he pulled onto the track and started racing. He ran about four laps before NASCAR officials black-flagged him off the track.

“They were raising cain with my crew chief, and after the race they called me to the trailer for a little conversation,” Cowart said. “It was kind of a warm conversation. … They said I should have known better.

“I told them I didn’t think they’d mind.”

Told he’d be fined $5,000, he paused and said, “Make it $5,000,000 because I ain’t giving you a dime.”

His days as a NASCAR driver were over for Cowart, who now works as a construction contractor, building swimming pools and installing septic tanks in his hometown.

But he’s far from forgotten on the NASCAR circuit. Most of the good Delma Cowart stories carry a dateline of Daytona Beach.

Cowart made four starts in the circuit’s premier race, the Daytona 500, but he was better known for his Speedweeks parties than his performance on the track.

Atlanta Motor Speedway president Ed Clark remembers one year at Daytona, when he spent most of Speed Weeks sick in bed with the flu. Unfortunately for him, his bed was right over the hotel bar, where Cowart was spending most of his nights playing the piano and entertaining the audience. “The whole bed was rocking,” Clark said. “I couldn’t sleep.”

After several years away from the track, Cowart was once again allowed to enter the garage. Mostly he comes to reminisce and to line up some Cup drivers for charity events he ram-rods around Savannah. He said the same man who once banned him, NASCAR president Mike Helton, signed the pass that now gets him in the track.

“I asked Mike if he’d gone brain dead when he signed for me,” Cowart said. “He just grinned and said he must have slipped up.”

He said that age 67 he still enjoys himself, whatever he’s doing.

“You hear people say that if they’d known they were going to live that long they’d have taken better care of themselves,” he said. “The way I look at it, if I’d known I was going to live this long I’d have run a little harder into the corner at some of those short tracks.”

Delma as fuck.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1610 611 612 613 6141060 Next