TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9140 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:36 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
Moreso the pavement guys in Western NY. Holland and Lancaster are doing their best to see who can out-fuckup who.

QFT

I raced at Lancaster(now DunnTire Raceway Park) for 3 years and yes, it was a blast running there, but they are just continuously painfully buttfucking eachother. If one of the tracks would just go away, that would help the whole region I think quite a bit since it would force everyone who wants to run to run at the one remaining track.

Preferably, I would like to see Holland just go away because the 5 people who show up every week to watch arent worth it to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Close one and clean house staff-wise for the survivor MIGHT do it. It's very, very close to being too far gone to fix, and yet they want to continue the buttfucking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Never been there but from what I'm told and what I can read, Dunn-Tire Park (Lancaster) blows due to the impossible surface. This is a big reason they got 13 supers to show up the day after they had 30 cars barely an hour away at Oswego. That left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouth but the damn track shakes the cars apart.

Anyway, May 2nd, Albany-Saratoga Speedway, ISMA SuperModifieds... Brand new pavement and more than likely mid to low 12 second laps. Be there if you can because it's going to be a helluva race.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

How's ISMA looking for 2010?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:55 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

You are spot on as that is the major issue with Lancaster. The surface literally tears up and chunks of the track can become projectiles. Theres a hole in T3, theres a hole on the backstretch that they continuously are "fixing". The walls, litterally, look like they have fallen over before, large chunks, and then they just picked them up and placed them back where they fell. If someone put say, a couple million into the joint, over a long period of time, they place would be good facility wise, then they just need to get a competent owner.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:18 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

westracing01 wrote:
Never been there but from what I'm told and what I can read, Dunn-Tire Park (Lancaster) blows due to the impossible surface. This is a big reason they got 13 supers to show up the day after they had 30 cars barely an hour away at Oswego. That left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouth but the damn track shakes the cars apart.

Anyway, May 2nd, Albany-Saratoga Speedway, ISMA SuperModifieds... Brand new pavement and more than likely mid to low 12 second laps. Be there if you can because it's going to be a helluva race.

That sounds like a good show, Albany's a long drive home, especially if it's a night race, but it may be worth it. I hope to make some Oswego shows this year, I really miss watching the supers run.

The local scene around here will be a little different next year, the Adirondack drivers got their way and the Evans Mills Speedway will go back to pavement, I believe this is the 7th time the surface has been changed at this track. I haven't heard any specifics on what will be raced, but they probably won't race late models, but they will likely keep Adirondack's Super Stock, Light Trucks, and 4 cylinder divisions. My normal track, Can Am Speedway, has been sold, 4th different owner in the last 10 years, as usual, only some of the causes for lack of fan attendence are being addressed. The one thing I did like was that we started the season last weekend with a 100 lap enduro, which was a lot of fun depsite the track having a few inches of ice and snow on it and temps only getting as high as 20 F. We'll be doing another one at the end of February and hopefully there is more snow and ice to deal with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I live ten minutes from Albany-Saratoga and I'm pretty pumped about that ISMA race. They ran a test with some mods in the fall when the pavement was super fresh and the times were in the low to mid 13s. However, I'm not sure exactly what type of mods they were. Also joha, the race is on a Sunday so I'd guess it'll be a day race. Albany-Saratoga's sister track, Devil's Bowl in VT, holds their weekly races on Sunday nights. I'm assuming that they wont run both programs at the same time, but who knows.

The new pavement should be fun, but I've grown up with the dirt at that track and I'm sad to see it go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
How's ISMA looking for 2010?

ISMA is ISMA. They'll probably have about 24 full time teams but that may go up or down. Right now it's really hard to say. Word on the grapevine is Chris Perley won't be running full time, Maybe Ordway Sr. in the car and Perley to run the New England shows, Bentley Warren is rumored to be in one of Clyde Booth's old cars but whether that's an independent front suspension or a straight axle (Oswego weekly legal) is anyone's guess.

Out west the MSA changed the organization around a bit, Timmy Jedrezcek may not be running full time nor might the May cars of Tim Ice and Chris Schultz (2009 King of Wings $10,000 to win Champion) so it's a guessing game.

SuperModifieds are the best short track racing available, certainly the fastest, but car counts, organizations, races aren't often finalized until the teams pull into the track. :ohmy: :? :ohmy:

Albany Saratoga will be a day race. ISMA schedule here: http://www.ismasupers.com/schedule.html

I think AS was testing the True Value Mods but they're going to run the DIRT mods (not DIRT sanctioned) with asphalt tires, at least that was the plan last I knew. Problem is a lot of the guys, Hearn, Johnson, etc. who run there with the small blocks don't want to do that so they're looking at Glen Ridge or Fonda but that's hard because Hearn runs the big block on Saturday nights. Other than the SuperModified race, Albany Saratoga is a cluster fuck because no one knows what the hell is going on.

joha107 wrote:
That sounds like a good show, Albany's a long drive home, especially if it's a night race, but it may be worth it. I hope to make some Oswego shows this year, I really miss watching the supers run.

Go to the King of Wings $10,000 to win race at Oswego. All the big guns from MSA, ISMA and Oswego Weekly will be strapping on the tin foil to go for the big check. Friday and Saturday July 9th and 10th.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

westracing01 wrote:
I think AS was testing the True Value Mods but they're going to run the DIRT mods (not DIRT sanctioned) with asphalt tires, at least that was the plan last I knew. Problem is a lot of the guys, Hearn, Johnson, etc. who run there with the small blocks don't want to do that so they're looking at Glen Ridge or Fonda but that's hard because Hearn runs the big block on Saturday nights. Other than the SuperModified race, Albany Saratoga is a cluster fuck because no one knows what the hell is going on.

I believe you are correct about running the dirt mods with asphalt tires. They ran a race like this on the old pavement towards the end of last season. From what I heard it wasn't very good and the pictures I saw just looked ...wrong. I don't blame Hearn and some of the other big names for leaving. Hopefully AS gets their act together so this season isn't a giant failure. The only good news I've heard so far regarding the regular weekly program is that ticket prices are down from $12 to $10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Way back in the day asphalt races used to be part of the DIRT SuperDIRT Series schedule with races at places like Flemington and Nazareth (yes, the now defunct mile.) Of course, it wound up killing itself much like USAC Sprint cars where you can't run your dirt car on the pavement, so the guys with money built asphalt specific Big Block Modifieds. Turned into a total mess. Same things on the way here. I know a couple Pro Stock guys who are building asphalt cars, but the way they're doing it will allow them to be changed over to dirt fairly easily. That's a much easier accomplishment than with a Big Block or Small Block Mod. They ran the dirt Mods at Oswego twice within the last three years. Small car counts and blah racing. The Super race will be awesome, but Albany Saratoga will rue the day they took the clay off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:30 pm 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

I guess I will post this here since this is ASA..But this is the starting line-up for the ASA Free-State 500:
1. 8 Geoff Bodine 36.015

2. 96 Marc Davis 36.282

3. 52 Chris Wimmer 36.506

4. 09 John Mickel 36.643

5. F22 Russ Blakeley 36.934

6. Toni McCray 37.094

7. f66 Steve Carlson 37.058

8. 19 Tiffany Daniels 37.086

9. 11 Jaco Correia 37.475

10. 97 Mark Ebert 37.790

11. 22 Johan Cronje 37.868

12. 98 Shaun Richardson 37.972

13 73 Gary Lewis 38.148

14. 68 Danie Correia 38.252

15. 55 Greg Barnhart

16. 80 Mark Shaffer 39.747

17. 41 Ron Norman 39.831

18. 85 Lance Fenton 40.081

19. 20 Gugu Zulu 40.295

20. 61 Tim Olson 40.977

21. 900 Johan Spies 41.332

22. 31 Dustin Dudley/Don UHlir 42.119

23. 00 Johan Coetzer 42.571

24. 08 Rick McCray No Time

25. Ron Barfield No Time

Notice the return of A3GP driver Gugu Zulu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:09 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Here's an onboard video of some other type of car going around the oval circuit they're racing on.
I think the most noticable and shocking things are the gaping openings in the wall on the backstretch.
I'm assuming they've closed those off, but still...I wonder if they used something strong enough to withstand a big impact.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:55 am 

Is there any word on this race being televised?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:59 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

From this article it's going to be broadcast as an hour long highlight show in Africa, as for international TV coverage it doesn't look like there will be any.
However, it will be broadcast live on XM and Sirius radio and rebroadcast later in the day.

Quote:
Veteran Bodine turns fastest qualifying lap for Inaugural Free State 500
By Kevin Ramsell, ASA PR Report
A large and appreciative crowd enjoyed the sunshine and the excitement of official qualifying for the inaugural ASA Transcontinental Series Free State 500 at Phakisa Freeway near Welkom this afternoon.

It was the veteran Geoff Bodine, a former Daytona 500 champion, who turned the fastest lap of the four 15-minute qualifying sessions, which saw the 24-car field go out in groups of six to qualify their American V8 stock cars on the starting grid for tomorrow's 207-lap 500-km race.

The 60-year-old legend from New York State, driving a Rick McCray Chev Impala, recorded a fastest lap of 36,015 sec at an average speed of 239,9 km/h around the 2,5-km Phakisa Freeway super oval. He will be joined on the front row of the grid for Sunday's 13h00 rolling start by 19-year-old countryman Marc Davis from Mitchelville, Maryland whose best lap in the WHUR 96.3/The World Network/Marc Davis Motorsports Chev Lumina was 36,182 sec.

Row two will be filled by Chris Wimmer of Wausau, Wisconsin in a Philly's Subs Chev Impala (36,506 sec) and lone Briton John Mickel, from Cambridge in England, in an RS Capp Chev Monte Carlo(36,643 sec).

Russ Blakeley from Whitewater, Wisconsin (Five Star Race Car Bodies/B&B Race Engines Ford Fusion, 36,934 sec) and fastest woman driver Toni McCray from Highland, California (Lucas Oil Chev Monte Carlo, 37,049 sec) are on row three.

Row four will be filled by Steve Carlson from West Salem, Wisconsin (Five Star Race Car Bodies/B&B Race Engines Ford Fusion, 37,058 sec) and Tiffany Daniels from Smithfield, Virginia (Snowtheracehorse/Marc Davis Motorsports Toyota Camry, 37,086 sec)

Highest-placed South African is 29-year-old WesBank V8 racer Jaco Correia of Klerksdorp in North West Province (Liqui Moly Chev Monte Carlo) in ninth with a time of 37,475 sec. Starting alongside him on the fifth row of the grid will be Drivetech Racing School's chief instructor Mark Ebert from Tucson, Arizona (Phezulu Plant/JCB Ford Fusion, 37,790 sec).with a 10th-best time of 37,745 sec.

Former national V8 sprint car short oval champion Johan Cronje of Welkom will start in 11th place; Danie Correia of Welkom, younger brother of Jaco, will be 14th in a Liqui Moly Chev Monte Carlo; reigning class A5 national rally champion Gugu Zulu (Phakisa Freeway Chev Monte Carlo) will line-up in 19th place on the grid; Cape Town's Johan Spies, the reigning national super salon short oval champion, is 21st in his Speedspot Motorsport Cape Town Chev Monte Carlo) after suffering a blown engine in qualifying; and 19-year-old Johan Coetzer from Welkom will start 23rd after continuing to struggle with a reduced rev limit on his Phezulu Plant/JCB/Speed Pro Racing/Signs4U Ford Fusion.

In the United States, the broadcast will be shown LIVE on Sirius XM Satellite Radio starting at 6:00 a.m. EST/5:00 a.m. Central/4:00 a.m. Mountain/3:00 a.m. on Sirius 90/XM 244. The race will be re-broadcast later that day.

Post-qualifying quotes:

Geoff Bodine: "We've fallen in love with this country. We love the people, the climate, the wild animals. This race will go down in the history books. Being the fastest qualifier is just a bonus. "The top three qualifying times are close, but in the race things change. Racing is a lot different from qualifying."

Marc Davis: "We've had a lot of fun here, not just on the track. This event is huge and I'm very glad to be a part of it. We're running a virtually brand new car and it was a short-notice deal to come to South Africa. But we're happy with the progress we've made. We're sure it'll be a great race."

Jaco Correia: "We've waited a long time for this kind of racing to come to South Africa and I'm really enjoying being a part of it. We're very happy with our performance so far and are looking forward to improving some more in tomorrow's race."

Gugu Zulu: "I'm thrilled to be here. We're making history and I'm glad to be part of it. But we'd like to have had a more competitive car. I am going to have to rely on my fitness to survive and get the best result we can. We'll be relying on some of those in front of us to run into problems. It's going to be a long day tomorrow."

SuperSport will broadcast a 13-minute preview of the race weekend at 18h30 this evening on SS6 and SS6 Africa. There will be a 26-minute report on today's qualifying at 18h45 on Sunday on SS6 and SS6 Africa. Sunday's race will feature in a 52-minute highlights programme at 17h20 on February 4 on SS2 and SS2 Africa.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

rgordon wrote:
Notice the return of A3GP driver Gugu Zulu.

Apparently he's been rally racing the whole time.
http://www.worldrallysport.com/content/gugu-zulu-wins-second-national-rally-class-title

Race results:
[spoiler]http://www.asa-racing.com/news.aspx?Id=46429[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:23 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL Western New York, you fucking idiots. Excellent job killing LMs and the SST mod tour, guys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
LOL Western New York, you fucking idiots. Excellent job killing LMs and the SST mod tour, guys.

Yep, fucking stupid... However, it gets to be a real mess sometimes. Fonda went American Racer because AR kicked more money into the point fund and DIRT are out of the goddamn minds. No worse for wear at the end of the day. But the problem comes when the local guys want to run the tour races and you can't because you don't have approved rubber, so you either can't race, have to buy new tires or hope they turn a blind eye, which they can't do.

This sounds like SST wanted to get out from under the Hoosier contract and the local promoters didn't want anything to do with that... Probably the promoters themselves would lose money instead of putting money back into the track point fund. Fools.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the vast majority of short tracks and touring series are run by idiots, who've seemed to fuck things up to the point where the only solution to bring everything back together is to spend a shitload of the racer's money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:02 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Wait, what happend?!?!??!?!?! The LM's were all but dead already, what did they do to the SST's? The strongest division going in the Northeast?

Mobil1, you of all people should know that LAMOT is thriving and keeping the LM's alive in the Northeast!!! :flag: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:24 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The LMs were doing ok until 2006 and did alright through the MAARA deal, but the Bennetts and whatever-the-hell-his-name-is at DTRP did nothing to capitalize on it or to shore them up. They still draw well enough for the big races (RoC, US Open, Bud 100) - well, at least they did. I have a hard time believing DTRP/Holland did their best to keep LM racing going in that area, just on how quickly they acted to squash them and who they did/didn't contact. They're taking the easy way out with LAMOT, rather than doing the hard work for long-term sustained LM racing.

The SST series seems to be falling apart with promoters scheduling against the series, and most of the tracks going their own way as far as tires. I guess everyone's happier than pigs in shit to be off on their own islands out there with their backs turned to the outside world (Shang-2, Lake Erie, so on and so forth), or so I've been told. ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2789 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9140 Next