TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 888 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 45 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I honestly don't understand why he continues. He's in the wrong career.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
he's a Maldonado without the bolivarianism

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:03 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Maldonado had speed though - he did win a race :flag:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess it was the only race he didn't got distracted by constantly looking at the steering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:00 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

OMG Kimi's crash was terrifying for me :ohmy: Thank God no other driver crashed into him. The Manor was close.

Great driving from Verstappen! lol brave kid. Making the elders look like grand-dads! Perez and Nasr did a good job too.

Gutted Rosberg didn't win the title here tbh, but we got the tears from Massa's emotional farewell, thanks to his crash ironically lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't know if it has been said during the race, but I hope Charlie now sees that these drivers are able to race during heavy rain and that long SC periods or even red flags are not always needed. I hope that during the second red flag, so many drivers went to see him to complain, that he has realised that he sometimes might be too cautious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:33 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Omega wrote:
I don't know if it has been said during the race, but I hope Charlie now sees that these drivers are able to race during heavy rain and that long SC periods or even red flags are not always needed. I hope that during the second red flag, so many drivers went to see him to complain, that he has realised that he sometimes might be too cautious.

Quote:
The reason for the second, just eight laps later, was not immediately obvious. But there was a very valid reason. With the delays that had already happened there was a serious chance the race was going to time out at two hours rather than go the full 71 laps. So with the clock counting down, the weather not improving, a wet weather tyre all-too-ready to aquaplane and the forecast of a 20-minute blast of heavier rain, Charlie Whiting preferred to freeze the countdown by red-flagging the race, waiting for the heavier rain to pass – so giving more of the available remaining time over to a track in hopefully better condition. Otherwise there was a chance the race would time-out after very little actual racing just when the track was perfect – and that would’ve left the event open to ridicule. This way it improved the chances of at least getting to the 75% distance (53 laps) required for full points.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repor ... grand-prix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't understand the 2 hour limit. If they've got this 4 hour window to get the race in they may as well raise the 2 hour limit to 4 hours too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:17 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

I think people were just frustrated and feared the race might be over.

I thought the red flag was a correct decision, but even I thought conditions were terrible throughout the race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If they red flag races, they should do like in the 80's a new start procedure with the remaining laps and then you set the average time of all to see who won

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
Omega wrote:

I didn't see the race live, I have seen the highlights, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Kimi was only a few feet from being t-boned at 300km/h when he span on the straight.

Now I seem to be one of the very people who actually agrees with the red flag calls, so I expect the usual barrage of shit coming my way, but considering the heat (and pending litigation) the FIA are/have taken for Jules' death, can you blame them for throwing the red after Kimi's spin? There was a world champion, perpendicular to the track on the main straight in poor visibility.

Let's step into imagination land, Kimi was t-boned by someone in the field, and was seriously injured. Pretty sure every Kimi fan out there would be saying conditions were too dangerous and he was needlessly hurt, I don't think many would be saying "F1 is dangerous, shit happens, he died doing what he loved, can't do anything about it etc. etc."

The FIA would rather see long SC periods and red flag periods than drivers getting hurt. Even if the drivers themselves are saying "let's race, come on, it's not so bad". Conditions can change from risky to dangerous to undriveable at a point on the track in 30 seconds. They have to protect their image first, even from their drivers.

The red flag after Kimi's scary crash was totally warranted but that was on lap 21. I think the unnecessary red flag on lap 28 was the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:18 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

See dicksplaash's quote above. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think part of the problem is that the wet tyres don't clear enough water when they're running behind the Safety Car. Once the race had been going for a few laps, there was an obvious line that the tyres were clearing, and we didn't see so many incidents, apart from those who were taking too much of a chance by being on inters.

So you know that the wet tyre can handle the conditions, but you also know that the first couple of laps after a Safety Car/Red Flag are going to be the most dangerous because the standing water is at its greatest (and all the cars are close together). Unfortunately you have to run those dangerous few laps to help improve the track conditions. Unless you can find a Safety Car that is able to go a bit faster...

The other problem with the red flag is the teams setting up big canopies and the drivers disappearing into the garages. If there is a small window where the weather looks to be improving, they need to be in the cars and ready to go. We had a situation where they got everyone going far too late, and then the red flag came straight back out. I think people are frustrated because that could have been avoided.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so in red flags the cars must stay in the s/f line, not in the pits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And ban the tents.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

and ban tire changes either

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

What a race to miss :8:

Had to watch this at midnight and try not to shout the house down at various points

As we were leaving the house, my GF told me Grosjean had crashed. I checked my watch and before I got all mad at her spoiling things for me said "wow, it's 20 mins before the start of the race! damn, this is going to be a belter!"

And it was.

In a lot of ways it reminded me of Japan 2014, just without the tragic end.
The way the red bulls cut a swarthe through the field was brilliant to see and very reminiscent of that race.

There always does seem to be one corner that is more of a problem than the others. Did anyone spin/crash anywhere else but the final kink before the start finish line this race? Odd.
It's so weird how an area of the track that is nothing but a flat out kink in the dry becomes so dangerous in the wet.
Hell, Kimi lost it pretty much in a straight line, that tells you how bad things were.

Great to see some gutsy overtakes in these conditions, in a way it was a shame Lewis was so far out front, he'd have been part of the passing fun if he wasn't leading at his leisure.
Also apt for Max to remind us why he's the coming man of F1, the race was almost his F1 career to date in a nutshell.
Brave overtakes, a couple of mistakes, a couple of things no-other driver would think to do, a couple of close calls (pitting around the wrecked Sauber etc) but overall a great performance.

He's not perfect, yet, but when he is, well, look out the records of Michael Schumacher.
If he gets even a snifter of a car as dominant as MS had at Ferrari, welp.
If he gets a car on a par or just slightly slower than his rivals, we'll be in for a golden era.
And next year he finds himself in a Red Bull under regulations that will bring us higher downforce levels.
Welp indeed.

Rosberg is definitely champion of conservative driving, but what else was he expected to do on Sunday? He couldn't really win the championship that day with conditions that favoured Lewis (I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he isn't as strong as Lewis in the wet)
and he could even afford to finish behind Max before Red Bull messed that up and gifted him 2nd, so he was playing the smart game.
And I'm sure people know I'm more Lewis than Nico this year, but he did exactly the right thing in these conditions, as Button did before him in 2009 and various other champions with a lead did in these circumstances to various criticism.
Who knows, he could still evoke Damon Hill mode and turn a conservative run to the title in a dominant car into a brilliant performance at the final race.

Still, I did manage to think of my most bitchy comment in years watching F1, which I don't even really believe but hell, it's for the lulz.

It seems appropriate we'll be crowning a champion like Nico Rosberg at a race like Abu-Dhabi
*mic drop*

Still, fuck Abu-Dhabi, imagine if that had been the championship decider. Epic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
It's so weird how an area of the track that is nothing but a flat out kink in the dry becomes so dangerous in the wet.

that is pretty much why they don't race ovals in the wet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:
Rosberg is definitely champion of conservative driving, but what else was he expected to do on Sunday? He couldn't really win the championship that day with conditions that favoured Lewis (I'm sure he'd be the first to admit he isn't as strong as Lewis in the wet)
and he could even afford to finish behind Max before Red Bull messed that up and gifted him 2nd, so he was playing the smart game.
And I'm sure people know I'm more Lewis than Nico this year, but he did exactly the right thing in these conditions, as Button did before him in 2009 and various other champions with a lead did in these circumstances to various criticism.
It can't be better said than that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Surely I wasn't the only one to notice the rain closing in at turn four when they threw the second red flag? You could hardly see Lewis through it all, whereas the previous lap was much clearer.

The tyres are not the sole problem, they are just part of it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 888 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 45 Next