TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 43 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Nico, you are all at fault for not taking it to Lewis more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:20 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Brod wrote:
siggy wrote:
Me neither. Lewis is top notch. But these championships are without challenge. If Lewis wasn´t persuaded by Laude to drive for Mercedes, Rosberg would be a two time world champion. Sure, with a little more fighting, but it´s the best car nonetheless. It´s all about being in the right place and the right time. Lewis jumped his ´home´ right on time and he is simply capitalising on it. But Rosberg is in a shitty position, no matter how big his vagina is. He needs to put his career on the line if he wants to beat Lewis. It´s as simple as that. And as a millionair many times over, I just cannot fathom why he is not doing it (me not being a millionair).

Lewis deserves this and last years title under the given circumstances. He has done a really good job. However, without a perfect car he never really got his act together. Look at 2007 and the years after his first title. When he wasn't in the best car he was prone to mistakes and sometimes didn't get it all together. At least, that is how I see it. He has grown with these two championships that is for sure. Rosberg was also broken by a team that prefered Hamilton right from the start. You can tell Rosberg isn't really happy in this team but of course he knows he doesn't have better alternatives and I guess he'd rather quit than join a bad team.

You also have to factor in all the technical glitches Lewis had in his McLaren years which also cost him at least one more world championship. Add to that all the technical problems of 2014 where he started the season on the back foot already. Nico it seems lives with the innocent image, I wonder hot it looks inside the team. What I do know is that Nico started the shenanigans in 2014 when he used a more aggressive engine program instead of fighting fair in race 3 or 4 in 2014, after he was given an 80 page dossier that explained what Hamilton did in Malaysia that gave him such an edge in saving fuel and tyres and still going very fast, since he couldn't explain it himself. Then they raced in Barcelona where Lewis used a higher engine program in turn to defend from Nico, and Nico made that public and the media picked up on it, unlike the instance before that when Hamilton just swallowed it. Monaco was another drop where the team will be able to judge much better if Nico really made a mistake or not, etc. They have an interesting relationship and we barely get to notice any of that. I'm just so curious about the real inner workings. Clearly they don't get along despite the whole PR from the team, but I'm interested in what really happened

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:22 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Lewis's tremendous pace makes his arrogant, entitled, and douchebag driving all the more aggravating to watch. I don't doubt his skill and performance for a second, but it's hard to care or get excited about it considering the way he tends to treat his opponents.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:29 am 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

If only this forum had been online in the era of Senna :p

(no, I don't want to say that Hamilton = Senna, just that he's considered to be 'the' greatest driver despite pulling dirty tricks and moaning all the time)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's only when British drivers in dominant cars who have completely broken their teammates does this forum say the world championship is unworthy.

When Germans do it, it's completely fine :lol:

Lewis can only beat what's put in front of him in any given year. He worked on his one weakness from 2014, which was qualifying, and Rosberg had no answer.

He's one of the most aggressive drivers on the track but has also learnt restraint when necessary.
And yes in years like this you realise an unheralded skill in the makeup of a world champion is not just on track but also at the negotiating table.
Back in 2012 we thought leaving mclaren was a risky choice but now it seems to be one of the wisest decisions in f1 history.

Congratulations Lewis, world champion 2015.

Now let's hope vettel and ferrari take a step up for 2016 so if you win that one too then at least it'll be little closer :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Every driver is the same, even the best ones. Hamilton's worst tendencies come out when the car isn't at its best same as they did for Schumacher, for Vettel, for Alonso, for Senna. And the majority of F1 titles have been won by the best car driven by the better of its two drivers. I know we all want to see every season finish up like 2008 but you're watching the wrong sport.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just watched the race. Man, Nico was so fucking salty. It was awesome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You have to be a douche to win the Championship - it doesn't earn you many fans outside of your fanatical support but look at almost every F1 Champion in the last 25 years - from Senna all the way to Hamilton, all could be considered to be dicks in their own way. It's the sort of personality that seems to bring success when added to raw pace.

But also, fuck Rosberg. What a little girl.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can see why Nico was so pissed about the start. Upon watching it live I thought it was a tough and ruthless move by Lewis. One that any champion would make. But after watching the onboard replay from Lewis' car...yeah. He had no intention of turning into the apex. His only goal seemed to be to shove Nico off. In fact he didn't bother to turn in until he'd whacked Nico off the track hah!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
It's only when British drivers in dominant cars who have completely broken their teammates does this forum say the world championship is unworthy.

Lewis can only beat what's put in front of him in any given year. He worked on his one weakness from 2014, which was qualifying, and Rosberg had no answer.

He's one of the most aggressive drivers on the track but has also learnt restraint when necessary.
And yes in years like this you realise an unheralded skill in the makeup of a world champion is not just on track but also at the negotiating table.
Back in 2012 we thought leaving mclaren was a risky choice but now it seems to be one of the wisest decisions in f1 history.

Congratulations Lewis, world champion 2015.

Now let's hope vettel and ferrari take a step up for 2016 so if you win that one too then at least it'll be little closer :thumbsup:

Lol some of you did. I remember saying that it could potentially be like Schumacher going to Ferrari. Merc had the resources and they'd always made quick cars.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lewis Hamilton has the best raw pace of anyone on the grid, Vettel included. Those of you saying that Rosberg would have just walked the championships had Lewis not been there are completely losing sight of the effect that having the fastest guy in the sport across the garage from him has done for him. What we're seeing now is the fatigue of a driver who has been at the edge of his abilities for so long. Only Vettel, Alonso and maybe Ricciardo have the ability to challenge him over the course of the season in a dominant car like that. Add to that the fact that at a certain point, the team has to acknowledge one driver as the superior title challenger and you have a broken driver. Without Hamilton, how are we even sure that Mercedes is so dominant in 2014 and 2015? Say he's paired with Paul Di Resta or someone like that. A solid driver, maybe capable of a win here and there. Two drivers with good pace, good experience, good racers, but winning a championship takes so much more, and once the summer comes around and there's infighting and stuff like that, you have two drivers who know nothing of championship pressure, and that can go south very quickly. Then 2015, without the momentum, and with Vettel and Ferrari closing the gap, how do they handle that pressure? Lewis is the team leader for more than his raw pace. He's shown that he has the mettle for winning championships. Once you start competing for championships in F1, you lose your innocence. Either you're a champion or you're broken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
Lewis Hamilton has the best raw pace of anyone on the grid, Vettel included. Those of you saying that Rosberg would have just walked the championships had Lewis not been there are completely losing sight of the effect that having the fastest guy in the sport across the garage from him has done for him. What we're seeing now is the fatigue of a driver who has been at the edge of his abilities for so long. Only Vettel, Alonso and maybe Ricciardo have the ability to challenge him over the course of the season in a dominant car like that. Add to that the fact that at a certain point, the team has to acknowledge one driver as the superior title challenger and you have a broken driver. Without Hamilton, how are we even sure that Mercedes is so dominant in 2014 and 2015? Say he's paired with Paul Di Resta or someone like that. A solid driver, maybe capable of a win here and there. Two drivers with good pace, good experience, good racers, but winning a championship takes so much more, and once the summer comes around and there's infighting and stuff like that, you have two drivers who know nothing of championship pressure, and that can go south very quickly. Then 2015, without the momentum, and with Vettel and Ferrari closing the gap, how do they handle that pressure? Lewis is the team leader for more than his raw pace. He's shown that he has the mettle for winning championships. Once you start competing for championships in F1, you lose your innocence. Either you're a champion or you're broken.

This is a great post full of good points, but the very first sentence holds it back from winning the thread. I don't think Lewis can match Vettel or hold a candle to Alonso when it comes to raw pace unless he has a perfect car under him. His drives in the sub-standard McLarens didn't really stand out like the latter pair have managed in poor cars.

Hamilton is definitely one the very best drivers of his generation, but I don't think he has ever pulled off a 'miraculous' drive like Senna in a Toleman, Lotus or McLaren Ford, or Alonso in 2012, or some of the drives Vettel has pulled out this year.

Lewis definitely knows how to win championships, but the only time he has ever really had to *work* for one was 2008. That year, he came within a whisker of losing it to Felipe Massa.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Yes, nobody complained about Vettel in 2010-2013.

Most of the people cheer for the underdog. The man who is winning everything is always the bad guy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wonder if anyone was passing the same sort of judgement on Jackie Stewart or Niki Lauda when they won their championships. Each of Stewart's championships wouldn't have been so definitive if he didn't have the best car in the field on both pace and reliability, and in his Tyrell years Cevert was a very obedient #2, but you don't hear anyone suggesting Stewart never truly proved himself as he didn't win a championship in a BRM. The same can be said for Lauda; it's not like he kicked ass when he moved to Brabham. People expect waaaaay too much Hollywood story in their motorsport these days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:28 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

I see a questionable move when there is one.

I didn't see anything wrong with Hamilton 'pushing Rosberg' wide at the start.
More to do with the nature (and incline) of the track than anything.

If Rosberg hadn't made his customary snail start the 'problem' would not have ocurred in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:57 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Philthy82 wrote:
I wonder if anyone was passing the same sort of judgement on Jackie Stewart or Niki Lauda when they won their championships. Each of Stewart's championships wouldn't have been so definitive if he didn't have the best car in the field on both pace and reliability, and in his Tyrell years Cevert was a very obedient #2, but you don't hear anyone suggesting Stewart never truly proved himself as he didn't win a championship in a BRM. The same can be said for Lauda; it's not like he kicked ass when he moved to Brabham. People expect waaaaay too much Hollywood story in their motorsport these days.

Thank you for this. I always hate it when people moan about a driver who wins "just because he has a good car".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:02 pm 

The 1973 Tyrrell wasn't the fastest car - it was Fittipaldi's Lotus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So, my DVR decided to crash while I wasn't home yesterday, so the race didn't record. Anywhere I can find a copy of the race? Or at least highlights? Sounds like I missed a good one for a change.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually 1973's fastest car was the McLaren, but it wasn't reliable. Lotus was both not as reliable as Tyrell and tripped up by its own team politics. Thus why I mentioned Cevert's obedience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
So, my DVR decided to crash while I wasn't home yesterday, so the race didn't record. Anywhere I can find a copy of the race? Or at least highlights? Sounds like I missed a good one for a change.

You a member of RFM? If not I think i've got 1 invite left. PM me if interested

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 846 posts ]  Go to page Previous 139 40 41 42 43 Next