TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5207 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
RtN wrote:
StefMeister wrote:
BTW if Korea does go ahead it rules Hulkenberg out of the WEC round at Spa which he'd planned to take part in for Porsche as preparation for Le Mans.

Awfully convenient.

Didn't Canada used to be scheduled the same time as Le Mans?
Yeah, Since I think 1995.

Pretty sure that at about the same time Monaco was moved a week or 2 later in May which made it clash with the Indy 500.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
Quote:
NEXT MEETING OF THE STRATEGY GROUP

The FIA President confirmed that the next meeting of the Strategy Group would take place on 18 December, and would focus reducing costs, improving the show, making cars quicker and more difficult to drive, and reviewing the technical and sporting regulations, with the aim of simplifying the rules where possible.

http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-spo ... -2014-doha

Well, at least it seems not all is lost. Unless they mean improving the show with additional DRS-like gimmicks instead of getting rid of it
I don't really think the FIA really need to take action to make the cars quicker as the engineer's & designers will improve car performance anyway over time & as the new power units are developed they will also gain performance over the next few years.

And the problem with looking at making them harder to drive is that you have to find a way to do that without slowing them down much. You reduce downforce you will make them harder to drive (Which would also benefit the racing) but that makes them slower, You take away some of the electronics & again this could impact performance which will annoy some people who already seem to think F1 cars are too slow (I'd disagree).

Don't get me wrong I'm not really against making them faster or harder to drive, I just don't think there is a super urgent need to make big changes solely to achieve it & think that just letting things develop could end up fixing both anyway.

I also don't fully get the obsession with constantly tinkering to improve the show as I don't really think there's much wrong with what we have. I may still disdain DRS & may still not be 100% sold on how the tyres are at times, But overall I think we just had a very good season with lots of good racing, Good overtaking & while Mercedes had dominance they did at least provide us with a good championship battle.
I've genuinely enjoyed this season, I think the cars have been more interesting to watch thanks to the downforce reduction & increased torque of the new power units & think some of the racing has been fantastic.

I don't really see a need to go on another big push to improve the show, Especially given how much of what ends up been proposed is gimmicky nonsense like double points, standing restarts, More DRS & similar stuff. Lets for once just leave things as they are for a few years to see how the new regulations develop before looking at more things to change just because some within F1 seem to constantly think 'The Show' spicing up every few months.

Because they have to be seen to be doing something. When was the last time that there were actually no rule changes at all from one season to the next? Has it indeed ever happened?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

"Making cars quicker and difficult to drive"
You must be joking, they made them slower now with new engines.
If you want quick put a V10 back

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:50 am 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

alex1369 wrote:
"Making cars quicker and difficult to drive"
You must be joking, they made them slower now with new engines.
If you want quick put a V10 back

They got slower in overall lap time because of the downforce reduction. They're just as fast in a straight line if not a tiny bit faster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes on the straights the speeds have increased :)
I hope theyll come close to 1 sec in the next couple of years to 2013 cars corner speed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:26 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

the speed is not really the problem. They hit speeds which are very worthy of F1 standards.

What should be introduced is what people associate with turbo's from the past, their monstrosity. Basically cars which are very difficult and will never allow the driver to say "they felt comfortable" with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
RtN wrote:
StefMeister wrote:
BTW if Korea does go ahead it rules Hulkenberg out of the WEC round at Spa which he'd planned to take part in for Porsche as preparation for Le Mans.

Awfully convenient.

some years yes, some years no. The last time was I think in 2011, with the famous rain delay in the middle.

Jeez, is that really 3.5 years ago already?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm 

Another thing (Old news) but I thought I'd bring it up again is the fact F1 from 2015 will no longer use wooden skid blocks, but titanium ones. It was re-introduced as part of 'Improving the show' with sparks to fly out again.. Will be interesting to see.

Also, I notice that India is not on the Calendar. The organisers stated it'd skip 2014 & return in 2015. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the track, but I wonder what happened there....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The auto speed limit in yellow areas is a very welcome addition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:22 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Gaara wrote:
RtN wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

Awfully convenient.

Until LMES/LMS became a FIA-sanctioned World Championship and got renamed to WEC, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

McLaren are meeting to decide there 2015 line-up today.

Also looks like Bernie could be on the way out:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/12/d ... s-control/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Button and Vandoorne confirmed for McLaren!

Alonso permanently to WEC Le Mans then?

nah, just joking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the cars are already quick enough on the straights, they should make it slower on the turns. look at the williams to make racing cars, and not red bull

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:46 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Omega wrote:

nah, just joking.

May you die a terrible death. I was caught off-guard, casually scrolling this page. Not fair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

StanV wrote:
Omega wrote:

nah, just joking.

May you die a terrible death. I was caught off-guard, casually scrolling this page. Not fair.

Not the only one :whistling: :slaphead:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
McLaren spokesman : "Today's board meeting has now concluded, and no decision has been taken with regard to our 2015 driver line-up."
:slaphead:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

McLaren didn't say they were going to publicly announce their driver line-up today, they said they would discuss it internally in a board meeting with the intent of making a decision. Two very different things. Had they decided today, it's with almost near certainty they would have said "yes we have made a decision on our 2015 driver line-up, which we will announce at a future date".

I guess the delay is either sponsor related or like I suggested in the silly season thread, it's a stalemate because Alonso may be refusing to sign unless gets Button as his team mate whereas McLaren won't sign Alonso unless Magnussen is the team mate.

Either way, Jenson says he'll be fine for 2015. Good on him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I get the feeling that McLaren just genuinely don't know what the best direction to go in is for the 2nd driver.

Button brings experience, Consistency & a good level of speed which will all be a benefit for next year given it will likely be difficult as they work with Honda on the new power unit.
Magnussen lacks experience & was a bit inconsistent through this season but he did show that the raw speed is there & with the opportunity to continue in F1 he gain that experience & his consistency will improve & his speed can only get better.

McLaren's choice is to stick with a known quantity in Button or go with the future potential of Magnussen.

The only real downside I see to either is that by going with Button there possibly going to be in the same situation a year or more down the road & by leaving Magnussen on the sidelines for a year+ he's not gaining the race experience which will help him improve so that he's better when/if they do have him back in the car later on. There's also Vandoorne to consider & again by leaving Magnussen on the sidelines & not gaining that experience & improving how do you know which of the 2 to go with a year or 2 from now?

This is one of the downsides to not having a strong Mid-field/Rear of the grid. There's nowhere for these young drivers to go to gain F1 experience anymore as the Mid-field is starting to fill with pay drivers as the teams are desperate for cash & the rear of the grid doesn't really exist now that Caterham & Marussia/Manor are seemingly gone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BBC are reporting that Stefano Domenicali is part of a feasibility study to see if its worth VW Group entering F1:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30336569

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:05 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

StefMeister wrote:
I get the feeling that McLaren just genuinely don't know what the best direction to go in is for the 2nd driver.

Button brings experience, Consistency & a good level of speed which will all be a benefit for next year given it will likely be difficult as they work with Honda on the new power unit.
Magnussen lacks experience & was a bit inconsistent through this season but he did show that the raw speed is there & with the opportunity to continue in F1 he gain that experience & his consistency will improve & his speed can only get better.

McLaren's choice is to stick with a known quantity in Button or go with the future potential of Magnussen.

The only real downside I see to either is that by going with Button there possibly going to be in the same situation a year or more down the road & by leaving Magnussen on the sidelines for a year+ he's not gaining the race experience which will help him improve so that he's better when/if they do have him back in the car later on. There's also Vandoorne to consider & again by leaving Magnussen on the sidelines & not gaining that experience & improving how do you know which of the 2 to go with a year or 2 from now?

This is one of the downsides to not having a strong Mid-field/Rear of the grid. There's nowhere for these young drivers to go to gain F1 experience anymore as the Mid-field is starting to fill with pay drivers as the teams are desperate for cash & the rear of the grid doesn't really exist now that Caterham & Marussia/Manor are seemingly gone.

Completely agree.

I think McLaren have done more harm than good to themselves with signing Alonso. If it were up to me, I'd go with Kevin though.

Alonso and Button don't have a long time left in F1, whether they like it or not. If they stick with Kevin for next year, he will at least get more experience so that when Alonso goes, they'll be able to rope in Vandoorne.

In my opinion, if they throw Kevin on the sidelines, another team will swoop him up. And their investment in him will vanish into thin air.

Besides, with V6 Turbos, Kevin has as much

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5207 Next