TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 714 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:47 pm 

Tobias wrote:
...(Thinking back, apart from that crash, what a lovely season 2000 was)

It was a great season indeed.

While on that subject, let me "rant" a bit off topic if I may.

2000 was the first full season I followed with complete interest, despite being already 12/13 years old. I even video-recorded most of the races, and woke up at 3 or 4am to watch live those on the other side of the world. I have some good memories from that year, but as odd as it may seem, not that many from the years before.
My first real F1 memory comes from 1994. Yes, I'm talking about Senna's crash. Despite being only 6 1/2 years old at that time, I remember watching it live. The day after, I remember discussing it with a bunch of other 7/8 year old kids! We talked about some details, even a particular one I won't mention here because I don't know if I'm allowed. But, looking back, what impresses me the most is that we were always talking about "Senna's crash", we said "Did you see Senna's crash?", we never said "Did you see that crash yesterday?". I don't know if you understand what I mean, but despite being kids, we already knew who Senna was, we knew he wasn't just "some driver".
After that I remember seeing one (or the two of them together, not sure) of the Ferrari's going through the old Bus Stop Chicane at Spa (I'm not sure if it was 1994 or '95, I think '94). I think it was wet.
In 1995 I have a vague memory of the crash at the start of the Portuguese GP... 1997 I remember a shot of Frentzen on the starting grid (don't ask me which track), inside his car, before the race. I even remember the detail of the "Andersen Consulting" sponsorship on his helmet. :P I also vaguely remember Panis' crash in Montreal.
1998 I remember some shots of the unusual red Williams, and 1999 some random shots of the BAR (which I thought, and still think, had an awesome livery), but my clearest memory is the one of Schumacher crashing in Silverstone.

Sorry for this, but I just felt I should share it with you. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:40 pm 

Tobias wrote:
That was a 100% red flag.

I don't want to add fire... but I am sure it wasn't a red flag because the Ferrari of Michael Schumacher wasn't involved... which helped his championship run, (remember how much the FIA helped Ferrari and Schumacher back then).
Also remember how the 2000 German GP had a way small start crash at turn 1, but it was a red flagged because Michael Schumacher was involved, don't think it was a coincidence.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

nascarf1indycar wrote:
Tobias wrote:

I don't want to add fire... but I am sure it wasn't a red flag because the Ferrari of Michael Schumacher wasn't involved... which helped his championship run, (remember how much the FIA helped Ferrari and Schumacher back then).
Also remember how the 2000 German GP had a way small start crash at turn 1, but it was a red flagged because Michael Schumacher was involved, don't think it was a coincidence.

The start at Hockenheim in 2000 wasn't red-flagged. It didn't even trigger a safety car. The start in 2001 however saw a red flag after lap 1 since the first corner was littered with debris.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 pm 

Echti wrote:
nascarf1indycar wrote:
Tobias wrote:

The start at Hockenheim in 2000 wasn't red-flagged. It didn't even trigger a safety car. The start in 2001 however saw a red flag after lap 1 since the first corner was littered with debris.

sorry 2001, schumacher and burti crashed, schumacher crashed at german gp at the start, red flag. Anyways his car broke halfway into the race, so it didn't matter anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was a time a red was needed because of the debris field. Should have been thrown before the field went through, not after though.

And likein Austria, he parked in the middle of the track to get a red but that wasn't the reason for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:59 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

nascarf1indycar wrote:
Tobias wrote:

I don't want to add fire... .

Well if you'd added fire there definitely wouldve been a red flag ;)

I will never be convinced any personal bias goes into a decision like red flagging/safety carring a race tbh.

I do remain convinced Charlie is told to hold off on both for tv scheduling reasons hence the dangerous situations we've seen when a schoolboy shouldve been thrown over the last 3 years or so

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For me, I think quite clear line whether it's VSC or actual SC would be this:

* Problem on the track or anyone needing medical help - actual SC
* Problem outside the track - virtual SC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I remember team radio from Montoya after the 1st lap at Hockenheim in 2001 where he was complaining about the amount of debris on the track.

Also worth remembering that back then they did use red flags for 1st lap incidents a bit more often, Seem to recall Charlie Whiting saying from the start of 2002 that he would use the safety car rather than a red flag to try & get everyone to use a bit more caution going into the 1st corners (Does seem like there's been less big T1 accidents since then?).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't they stop using red flags after a start crash because the T-cars were banned in 2003? Red flag after a start crash gave the drivers who were out a second chance in the T-car

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:
I remember team radio from Montoya after the 1st lap at Hockenheim in 2001 where he was complaining about the amount of debris on the track.

Also worth remembering that back then they did use red flags for 1st lap incidents a bit more often, Seem to recall Charlie Whiting saying from the start of 2002 that he would use the safety car rather than a red flag to try & get everyone to use a bit more caution going into the 1st corners (Does seem like there's been less big T1 accidents since then?).

I don't think so....you usually get one massive one every 2 years or so....
Saying that we've had barrier destroying crashes and start line flippers this year so it's all a matter of perspective really.

If there is any merot to that theory I think the fact the races now feature regulations that make it easier to overtake all the way through the race means the drivers can be more forgiving at the start if things aren't going their way.
Remember the refuelling era? The drivers knew they'd have to be over desperate at the start otherwise they'd be stuck behind someone that'd ruin their strategy until the first stop, leading to some frantic first lap action.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:17 pm 

codename_47 wrote:

If there is any merot to that theory I think the fact the races now feature regulations that make it easier to overtake all the way through the race means the drivers can be more forgiving at the start if things aren't going their way.
Remember the refuelling era? The drivers knew they'd have to be over desperate at the start otherwise they'd be stuck behind someone that'd ruin their strategy until the first stop, leading to some frantic first lap action.

you are smart. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Back to the topic at hand.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117246

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:35 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

I admire the Bianchi family for providing these updates. In contrast to someone else...

Small steps for Jules, but reading he breathes unaided is certainly a positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

:?
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/01/22/s ... ction-fia/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:34 pm 

Je Suis Streiff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

So when do they sue Christine Bianchi?

Quote:
I can't say anything more, apart from about the criticisms. You know, some people say things to shirk their responsibilities.

No-one reported what Streiff said when the report came out. The stupid cunts have now ensured that not only will many more people read those comments but that the whole report will have to be divulged in court.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So then...

What have Nigel Stepney, Rubens Barrichello, Gary Hartstein and Philippe Streiff all got in common?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They've all been sacked by Todt in one way or another...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:53 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

If DC Comics ever need a French reboot of "The Penguin", I'm pretty sure Todt could come in as an inspiration.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
They've all been sacked by Todt in one way or another...

Replace 'sacked' with 'tried to silence'. ;) Now where's my tin hat gone.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 714 Next