TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21

Will the Russian Grand Prix be a hit with the drivers/fans?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:05 pm
да (Yes) 34%  34%  [ 15 ]
Нет (No) 66%  66%  [ 29 ]
Total votes: 44
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:04 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Pirelli is a good company because they build their product just like their customer ask them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:09 am 

I don't think the contract has any detail of such kind. It's impossible to do such thing because it depends on several things Pirelli can't control, so they can't be forced into it by contract.

Example: In the early part of 2012, there were far more pitstops than on the end of that season as teams learned more about the tires.

It's hard to stipulate such things formally, that's what I meant.

But we are diverging away with this. All I said is that I would like Pirelli to stretch their tyres' operational window and I can't see that being regulated in any way by FIA/FOM

Afterall, how can a broader window be bad for the spectacle?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:19 am 

Artur Craft wrote:
Spoiler:
gkmotorsport wrote:
You are aware that Pirelli have to design their tyres to very strict requirements handed to them by the FIA, which cement their performance into a certain window, and that the teams all know this?

All I know is the extremelly vague talk from Pirelli that FIA allegedly ask them to bring tyres that degrade fast and therefore require some 2-3 pitstops.

If they can't produce tyres that work on a wider temperature range, that's down to their capability, I would say, because I simply can't see FIA requiring them to make tyres that works properly only in a small temperature window.

The thing is: it's very difficult to come up with a chemical compound which has roughly the same physical characteristics over a broad temperature range. It involves tones of research by top chemists and the know how varies quite a lot through out all these tyre manufacturers as they have very different resources/money to invest on their's R&D departments.

StanV wrote:
Ellu wrote:
I feel sorry for Pirelli that the regulations are turning their brand into crap. I've been through 2 sets of P-Zero Nero's in 5 years and 150.000k and never had any complaint. There said, i think that our road tyres have a different compound haha ;-)

There are still so many people thinking Pirelli honestly can't do better than what they are obliged to do in F1. Yet I don't see anyone doubting Renault engines in street cars either.

Pirelli is the 5th tyre company in the world, so their tyres are good. Smaller companies, than Pirelli, like Korea's Kumho or Hankook also can produce good tyres.

The thing is that, when it comes to overall quality, Pirelli tyres usually are worse than those of the larger companies(Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Continental) as it is to be expected.

Check this survey results from the biggest tire retailer in the world:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... sp?type=MP

Pirelli P Zero Nero is a good tire but a far cry from the top. It matches a lower Continental tire but the top specification of the German manufacturer is in 4th.

See how it wears much more than the best evaluated tire despite giving far less grip in dry and wet. It also provides less noise and ride confort.

You're wasting your money, Ellu. ;)

Can't argue over that! But it looks great on a Italian car that also breaks down alot (Alfa). I put AGIP/ENI in it as wel, it's about drivers experience :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplaash wrote:
Pirelli is a good company because they build their product just like their customer ask them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Amazingly, there were 38 overtakes recorded in the race

I think the track is much better than Valencia and Abu Dhabi, at least one can overtake on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

I think the track is much better than Valencia and Abu Dhabi, at least one can overtake on it.

Wow, says a lot about whoever was directing the TV coverage!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 pm 

gkmotorsport wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

I wonder how many of those occurred from lap 2 onwards.

Additionally, how many of those did Massa & Rosberg share between them?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WilliamsF1 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:

I wonder how many of those occurred from lap 2 onwards.

Additionally, how many of those did Massa & Rosberg share between them?

Rosberg came from last (21) to 2nd, and I think he gained most positions on track. I'd say he is good for at least 12-13 passes. Massa followed him in the early part, so take 8 for him, and Ricciardo as well after his early pit stop. That leaves 10-15 for the others.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21