TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35

Will these incredibly twitchy V6 machines be able to take Eau Rouge flat out?
Poll ended at Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:12 am
Yes 45%  45%  [ 22 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Someone will try and end up in Malmédy 45%  45%  [ 22 ]
Total votes: 49
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gaara wrote:
If you stick your nose in you risk it getting chopped off, but it's exactly the same if you know someone has been trying to get alongside and still take the normal racing line.

I said it yesterday, Hamilton could have run a little wider and still stayed ahead. He knew Rosberg was there.

Yeah but it's the responsibility of the person doing the passing to complete it safely and cleanly. It's not the responsibility of the person who's being passed to jump off their line in case someone might be slightly sticking their front wing alongside your rear wheel. For a start you can't really see the other car compared to the person behind.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anthony Davidson gave a good example in the Sky post-race show on how to complete that pass effectively around the outside of Les Combes entry i.e. Bottas on Vettel IIRC. Rosberg was simply too far back and put himself into that pinch point. Ideally you need to be ahead of the other car before turning left.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Karan wrote:
Anthony Davidson gave a good example in the Sky post-race show on how to complete that pass effectively around the outside of Les Combes entry

It's weird but I still find it hard to take Anthony seriously on matters such as "passing without causing an accident" :p Reading this post made me realize that again!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***

didn't knew they use only one for the whole season

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:39 pm 

I think Vettel versus Hamilton was the correct way to conduct a situation like that. The difference is that Vettel slow down instead hit. Vettel did not want to hit Hamilton. Rosberg wanted revenge Hamilton because of the last lap of the Hungarian GP, Hamilton did the same thing there, let your car "slipping" off the curve and occupied all the space, everyone does it. Magnussen did it more than ten times at Spa and was punished for what he did in the straight with Alonso.

They are 3 moments this accident: The beginning of the curve, the curve and the end curve, where beginning another. Rosberg was on Hamilton's side only in the middle of curve, before the end, before "wedge" Rosberg had only the nose to the side of Hamilton, then threw his car to the right to show Hamiton what happened in Hungary will no longer happen. That's the point. Revenge.

It is very simple, hitting is a better deal for Rosberg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tobias wrote:
if Ricciardo limits the damage in Italy, I can see him winning the championship.

I've said from the beginning that double points would keep Red Bull in the championship hunt, but I had no idea Ricciardo would be beating the everloving shit out of Vettel. I hope he pulls a Raikkonen but they've just got too far to go, both in points and development.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Somehow I fail to see where Lewis made a mistake here. Look at the image, it was made shortly after they touched. Lewis' car starts to slide because of the puncture. Look how much room there is to the left, look how far Rosberg is behind and look where the next corner starts.

Last edited by Justin Time on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

TBH I don't even see Lewis in the title hunt any more, so good luck anyone who isn't in a Mercedes....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
TBH I don't even see Lewis in the title hunt any more, so good luck anyone who isn't in a Mercedes....

The gap is a little over one win. It is not that much. So here's hoping you're wrong :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I hope I'm wrong too....I've started to style out my constant wrongness by betting against it so I can either enjoy a great season or be right...:p

On the upside, I would love it if the double points race ended up having no championship implications :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

One failure from Rosberg and it's all different....

How many points was Raikkonen away with 2 races to go in 2007? Right.

codename_47 wrote:
I hope I'm wrong too....I've started to style out my constant wrongness by betting against it so I can either enjoy a great season or be right...:p

On the upside, I would love it if the double points race ended up having no championship implications :p

I will love it when Ricciardo is 49 points behind, and Rosberg and Hamilton collide in the last lap of Abu Dhabi and Ricciardo wins.
This stupid rule will be over forever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regiotap wrote:
One failure from Rosberg and it's all different....

How many points was Raikkonen away with 2 races to go in 2007? Right.

It was 107 to Hamilton and 90 to Raikkonen before China began. Alonso I believe was on 95 points.

In 2003, Kimi scored 29 points in the final 4 races whereas Schumi scored 22. And we know Schumi won that title by 2 points.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I speculated something almost identical over at Fastlane earlier today. We know neither McLaren driver has been confirmed for 2015, we know Honda wants a superstar in one of the cars and they'll probably be happy to buy Lewis out of his final year at Mercedes. We know Lewis' issues at McLaren were with Whitmarsh rather than Dennis, so I'm sure Ron won't mind having Lewis back in the fold. Jenson could replace either Williams driver (most likely Toto Wolff protegee Bottas, who'd take the second Merc) or head into retirement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He does yes, but remember that Perez had a McLaren contract for 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
I actually can't find any rule that refers to defending in corners, which is surprising.

It's because the same thing applies. It would be illogical for it not to apply. 'Unwritten rules' and suchlike are irrelevant - if it says you can't chop a car off when he has any kind of overlap, you can't do it. And it's entirely understandable because it (theoretically) prevents incidents like this

Again, where in the following wording is there anything that applies to the Lewis/Nico situation?

Quote:
20.3 More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

There was no deviation from the racing line by Lewis, certainly no earlier move to defend off-line, and 20.4 clearly states "Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area" - this was coming out of a corner. "if it says you can't chop a car off when he has any kind of overlap" - it very clearly says that only applies on straights and before a braking area. The rules don't support your point, and neither does common sense.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

would be awesome to see top drivers spread over 5 teams.

RBR - Mercedes - Ferrari - McLaren (Hamilton back to lift the game) - Williams (thanks to Bottas)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35