TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous 134 35 36 37 38 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't watch the post race, has any footage emerged of the Kimi Magnussen contact or Maldonado trying to kill Verge?

kals wrote:
RtN wrote:
He divebombed Sutil, that's why he got the penalty.

Oh, and miles ahead? Really?

Bianchi was quite poor today. The car may have let him down before, but today was all on him.

He got a penalty? I missed that. And besides, that penalty was unjust. Sutil turned in on Bianchi twice (and has had a poor weekend) but I'm sure what worked against Bianchi was the small slide at the T1 apex.
In terms of being miles ahead I was referring to overall pace throughout the weekend. At both previous races Chilton has been ahead in qualifying and race because of un reliability for Jules.

Agreed the penalty was harsh. Looked to me like Bianchi had got to the apex and Sutil turned in rather than giving him space.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Very harsh, I reckon. I wouldn't be surprised if Bianchi's slide was caused by suddenly spotting a Findia turning across him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:30 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I've not seen a replay since the race, but at the time I thought the penalty was justified. He slid into Sutil and I don't think would have made the corner if Sutil wasn't there.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:

Bianchi was quite poor today. The car may have let him down before, but today was all on him.

Sorry but I think you are reading that wrong.
Bianchi lost time between lap 12 and 18 but the rest of the race he was on the same pace as Chilton (the lines are paralel).

Ofcourse lapping the same as Chilton might not be considered as a good performance either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Was Bianchi nursing an issue? He did drive into Sutil.

However one performance doesn't mean much. Chilton should still be dropped whilst Bianchi should still be promoted up the grid.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Chilton should still be dropped whilst Bianchi should still be promoted up the grid.

As true now as it was a year ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rosberg reckons he went past Hamilton around 9 times during the race. I'm sure there is a little over-exaggeration in this statement but does anyone know how accurate this is?

One thing I did like about the Hamilton and Rosberg battle, was their reaction to each other straight after the race. The joyful embrace.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can see that being true actually. There were plenty of times he'd nosed ahead only to be on the wrong side and lose out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:42 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

What're like about the merc boys is they just enjoy racing and even finishing second you could see Rosberg was just in really good spirits and both clearly enjoyed the battle even if it got hairy at various times, but in the heat of the moment emotions will always run high. I think that's what racing is really about moreso than easy cruises to a win and where the real enjoyment for the driver's comes from.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

yeah, that reaction after the race between the two Merc drivers was fantastic! That's how I want to see sport, fighting on track, but good friends afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

gd49 wrote:
Didn't watch the post race, has any footage emerged of the Kimi Magnussen contact or Maldonado trying to kill Verge?

Magnussen hit Raikkonen at turn 6 as he went for a gap there. Only slight contact however.
Maldonado punched Vergne off the road at the exit of turn 8. That damaged his rear tyre and then he spun around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
One thing I did like about the Hamilton and Rosberg battle, was their reaction to each other straight after the race. The joyful embrace.

I didn't think Rosberg looked anywhere near as happy as Hamilton did in that embrace. If anything I think Hamilton knew he'd been pretty firm during the race and was trying to make up for it. Will definitely be interesting to see how things develop through the year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Kimi Räikkönen stop fireworks by staring at them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

One important aspect of the race that got overlooked because of the excitement of the action was Mercedes's dominance. Their fastest race laps were 1.7s clear of the next best (Hulkenberg) and 2.2s faster than the nearest non-Mercedes powered cars (Ricciardo).

In the early stint they pulled away by 1s/lap, while when they went for it during the closing stages they pulled away from Perez at 2s/lap (even extending their advantage when they were battling). It's going to be so hard for anyone else to win a race. Might be like a 1988/2002 scenario when it takes some bad luck for the dominant team to allow others just to win a race let alone fight for the title!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:03 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Overlooked? I'm pretty sure a lot of people have mentioned how dominant the Mercedes has been.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
One important aspect of the race that got overlooked because of the excitement of the action was Mercedes's dominance. Their fastest race laps were 1.7s clear of the next best (Hulkenberg) and 2.2s faster than the nearest non-Mercedes powered cars (Ricciardo).

In the early stint they pulled away by 1s/lap, while when they went for it during the closing stages they pulled away from Perez at 2s/lap (even extending their advantage when they were battling). It's going to be so hard for anyone else to win a race. Might be like a 1988/2002 scenario when it takes some bad luck for the dominant team to allow others just to win a race let alone fight for the title!

As long as Rosberg and Hamilton take the battle to the end I wouldn't mind it a bit. 2002, 2004, 2014 were so horrible because the dominant team only had one driver (most of the time) fighting for the wins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 pm 

The reason this race had some action is the very one phil1993 and I discussed a week ago. All the stars aligned and you had the faster cars behind several times.

Like Rosberg who qualified 0,3s faster than Hamilton and had more pace on the race but lost the lead on the start. Ricciardo, the same, qualified 3rd but he to battle through the field due to his penalty. You got also Perez who was damn quick having to pass the Williamses and Hulk due to bad start and undercuts.

The Ferraris alone provided lot's of action. Despite being slow, they always came back ahead of other cars due to their undercuts.

I wouldn't watch the race but due to a rainy Sunday and after seeing how the GP2 races were, I gave it a go. The GP2 is a interesting case, they had Hard tyres most of the time(while F1 had Mediums and Soft) and that is over 1s slower than the Mediums, which means it's quite more durable. Also, GP2 has far less torque and naturally degrades the tyres far less than F1.

Still, the Hard tyres were falling like bananas in the last 6 or 8 laps andeven before that there were several close battles in the field. It was obvious the softer compounds used for the F1 cars would wear like hell which lead to the several undercuts and overtakings and all the action the race. I will never be a fan of this kind of thing but can't complain it was boring. It's not the racing I want but much better than the average F1 of almost the last 2 decades.

Those things won't happen all the time and the races won't be as "thrilling" as this one and I hope people are aware of that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
Those things won't happen all the time and the races won't be as "thrilling" as this one and I hope people are aware of that.

True fans have that imprinted in their DNA, casual fans, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's true. The only way to guarantee great racing is to have faster cars behind slower cars.

Shall well all demand the fia remove kers, drs and stop dicking about with the tyres and just impliment reverse grid races for 2015 then? :p

Seriously though, at some point this season a merc will have to start lower down the order due to tech issues/penalties/wet qualifying etc. That race will be amazing too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:54 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Jason wrote:
Overlooked? I'm pretty sure a lot of people have mentioned how dominant the Mercedes has been.

Yeah...Everybody. It's been pretty widly talked about.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous 134 35 36 37 38 Next