TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Mika Kimi wrote:
Besides, it'll mostly be based on the opinion of the circuit directors (or whatever the right title is).

And who are they basing their opinion on? They know attendances might fall with quieter engines, but that's not because of the hardcore - the people who would potentially stop coming because of the lack of noise (and I do find that hard to believe anyway tbh) probably aren't all that interested in F1 any more, though not quite to the extent of just going because it's fashionable

I think it's all a load of hot air. As Joe Saward said, Ron Walker's got no case - he's just complaining for the sake of publicity, jumping on a growing bandwagon. Never mind that they charge way too much to get into a grand prix anyway. I'd go if it was affordable even if the engines were powered by farts and made less sound than a titmouse, and a lot of other people are in the same position - if they're worried about attendances, that's what they should be looking at. And in any case, I really can't see how there's going to be a quick fix here. So it's a completely pointless argument

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
James B wrote:
Worth bearing in mind that all this whinging is largely irrelevant because the engines aren't changing any time soon, as they've been designed with road car engines in mind, and even if they did make some changes to make them louder in the medium/long-term future, judging by recent decisions it'll be on the whims of those running the sport, based on the opinions of channel-hoppers and children under the age of 11

Sorry but this is just throwing some more oil on the little fire we got here.

Besides, it'll mostly be based on the opinion of the circuit directors (or whatever the right title is).

Ecclestone already announced that something on short term will have to take place and today he has put that responsibility on the manufacturers. I'm curious on what that will be though.

AIUI Bernie has no say in the matter, as the Commercial Rights Holder doesn't get to set the formula. He has even less of one at the moment, thanks to the various court caes.

Also, about using road blocks - wasn't BMW's turbo engine based on one? I remember reading it was also peed on for a genuine engineering reason. Could well be something of an urban legend, though...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I know Bernie doesn't decide this but he has made his point clear towards the FIA and the engine manufacturers.

James B wrote:
And who are they basing their opinion on?

True, but you can't blame them since that's where they get the $$$ from.

Quote:
And who are they basing their opinion on? They know attendances might fall with quieter engines, but that's not because of the hardcore - the people who would potentially stop coming because of the lack of noise (and I do find that hard to believe anyway tbh) probably aren't all that interested in F1 any more, though not quite to the extent of just going because it's fashionable

Sorry but I disagree on this. Of course it's an interesting point to discuss but in the end we all have our own taste. :)

Quote:
I think it's all a load of hot air. As Joe Saward said, Ron Walker's got no case - he's just complaining for the sake of publicity, jumping on a growing bandwagon. Never mind that they charge way too much to get into a grand prix anyway. I'd go if it was affordable even if the engines were powered by farts and made less sound than a titmouse, and a lot of other people are in the same position - if they're worried about attendances, that's what they should be looking at.

They are worried about attendances because a large part of it don't embrace the new sound whilst that's their reason to attend, so can you blame them for it?

Quote:
And in any case, I really can't see how there's going to be a quick fix here. So it's a completely pointless argument

If there is, then there should IMO. Just like you I don't know how, but it is something they are discussing right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
NVirkkula wrote:
The BelCar Viper? It was Pertti Kuismanen's Viper that was doing a dyno run in a workshop I was working back in summer 2006. Usually when the Evos were dynoed, you could hear it in the next room. But when the Viper got in to the dyno, the whole building was shaking. That thing was so evil that even the peak torque was 666 Nm. In the end of the day they found around +20hp with new maps and exhaust system.

the Viper:
http://www.elisanet.fi/hillbillyracing/ ... adalla.jpg

The pro-modified drag racers were nearly equally loud.

I simply love those stories about outrageous power, specially about american big block engines

about noise, just make some "slight" changes on exhaust system and see what it happens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't mind the sound very much. For me the sound is nothing more than a 'by product'. It's a nice to have, but it is not what is F1 making the pinnacle of motorracing. It's not the louder the better the engine...

I understand if people are dissappointed, if you go to a concert to see the loudest band in the world (Manowar? Motörhead?), and all of a sudden they play at a much lesser volume, that would also be a dissappointment.

The same goes for the colour of the cars. It's a very nice to have if they look good (i.e. Williams), but it has nothing really to do with the racing itself.

But great races + great looking cars + great sounding cars > just great races :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I much prefer the sound of the cars over the high pitched ones we've had for years. I do wish they were a little louder, but it's also cool to hear crowd noise and lock ups.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
The BelCar Viper? It was Pertti Kuismanen's Viper that was doing a dyno run in a workshop I was working back in summer 2006. Usually when the Evos were dynoed, you could hear it in the next room. But when the Viper got in to the dyno, the whole building was shaking. That thing was so evil that even the peak torque was 666 Nm. In the end of the day they found around +20hp with new maps and exhaust system.

the Viper:
http://www.elisanet.fi/hillbillyracing/ ... adalla.jpg

The pro-modified drag racers were nearly equally loud.

I simply love those stories about outrageous power, specially about american big block engines

about noise, just make some "slight" changes on exhaust system and see what it happens

I'm not really sure what can be changed, tbh. Most of the diagrams and illustrations available show the exhaust pipe coming directly out of the rear of the engine/turbo, so it's basically a straight-through as it is. They are probably quieter than other recent turbo cars because they are more efficient, if you go with the theory of noise = wasted energy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So, the lack of ear splitting noise from the new engines is a problem for F1 which could lead to reduced attendance and less global appeal, thus tarnishing the reputation of F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport...

Really? :slaphead:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 pm 

[youtube]watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:44 am 

matthew wrote:
Try to stop down as low as you can when shooting from behind the fence. And get close to it as possible to try and get it out of the way as much as possible. it is a bit too visible on some of them which is a shame, cause I really like the composition (unfortunately, the fence is one of the biggest headaches when taking photos at a circuit).

Whup, late reply. I found that I had to stay stopped up to at least f/6.3, depending on how much light there was, to get rid of flaring. Used an EF 300mm f/4L for those shots, which seems to be rather flary wide open, do the more expensive 2.8 lenses have the same issue wide open?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55