TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
She is clinging onto the vain hope that medical science will progress to the point where she'll get her husband back (or hoping for a miracle from 'God', I seem to remember reading she is quiet religious), of course it depends totally on his condition and he could have locked in syndrome which depending on you life views could be better than death.

The point being is we don't know the truth because she won't allow it to be publicised.

Is the damage to the brain effected differently from taking a hit, as opposed to a natural blood clot/aneurysm?

i.e. if they both have the same outcome that put him in the state that he is in, do they both have the same damage to his brain? Because I would logically have thought that a hit to the head would have damaged the brain more than a naturally occurring clot.

I would also imagine that medical science would have a greater chance of succeeding in healing/overcoming a naturally occurring clot rather than one bought about by impact.

But I am not a neurologist so I don't know shit.

Also what is the legal status of removing someone from life support or whatever where he is? Does he show enough signs of life that he can't actually be taken off it without it being considered manslaughter/murder? That could also be a factor, he might be right smack in the middle of a grey area.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:00 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

webbsy wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
She is clinging onto the vain hope that medical science will progress to the point where she'll get her husband back (or hoping for a miracle from 'God', I seem to remember reading she is quiet religious), of course it depends totally on his condition and he could have locked in syndrome which depending on you life views could be better than death.

The point being is we don't know the truth because she won't allow it to be publicised.

Is the damage to the brain effected differently from taking a hit, as opposed to a natural blood clot/aneurysm?

i.e. if they both have the same outcome that put him in the state that he is in, do they both have the same damage to his brain? Because I would logically have thought that a hit to the head would have damaged the brain more than a naturally occurring clot.

I would also imagine that medical science would have a greater chance of succeeding in healing/overcoming a naturally occurring clot rather than one bought about by impact.

But I am not a neurologist so I don't know shit.

Also what is the legal status of removing someone from life support or whatever where he is? Does he show enough signs of life that he can't actually be taken off it without it being considered manslaughter/murder? That could also be a factor, he might be right smack in the middle of a grey area.

I'm not a doctor either, but what I've read is that blunt force trauma and internal bleeding is usually more serious than a blood clot. Then again every brain damage case is individual. The medical reports about his injury were not very uplifting, he had a lot of damaged areas, probably because swelling increased the pressure inside his head and a lot of time was wasted when the medical chopper first went to a small local hospital that could not handle head injuries and they had to land down for intubating.

Not much hope was given back then, but I guess it's what Ian-S suggested, the family is hanging on that or Michael actually is able to communicate in some way but is locked in. Third option, which I don't want to believe and hope that isn't the case, is that they keep him on life support because of financial interests and/or liability issues that is involved because of the events of his accidents and first aid. This would be an extremely terrible situation, but could explain why the family can't comment or do anything else except to wait if there's possibly law suits coming up and their actions might have a serious impact on the outcome. We'll probably never get the full story and the closure might take years, even decades if there's law suits involved. All we know for sure is what the official statements have revealed and that Michael has a big fortune that does have a big impact for this whole situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:

Don't know about German/Swiss law but here the decision lies with the next of kin based on doctors opinions of quality of life expediency, unless there is a per-existing DNR or the patient has previously stated they do not want to be treated and were at the time considered to be of sound mind, some call it a living will, others just an end of life plan, if that happens then not even the next of kin can over-rule those instructions (unfortunate experience with this tells me he never had a living will and never had chance to convey to the doctors after the accident what he wanted, also iirc he would not have been considered to have been of sound mind at the Hospital anyway since he was already exhibiting symptoms of a serious head injury (confusion, aggression etc.)).

So basically the final decision falls to his wife, and she's never going to make it unless mother nature intervenes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:03 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Michael turned 48 yesterday.

#keepfightingmichael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Don't wanna sound like a jerk but...I assume Michael's condition is pretty stable nowadays. "Keep fighting" is more appropriate when one is fighting for his life. You don't say "keep fighting" to a guy in a wheelchair, do you? And if Michael is permanently a vegetable, what's the use of fighting? :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The brain can adapt healed areas to do things that the damaged ones were doing before it were damaged, so that's what I think when I read "Keep fighting Michael".

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A German magazine, Bunte, has been ordered to pay Schumacher 50.000€ plus costs for falsely claiming he can walk in December 2015. The judgement was made based on the fact that he cannot walk now, and so definitely could not then. So, to continue the guessing game based on official statements, Gary Hartstein's (obviously very educated) opinion, and this court case, Michael is conscious and unable to walk.

In slightly lighter news, a charity football match is being held in Mainz in July for (I believe) some charities of his. Players announced so far are Mick, Mika Häkkinen, and Miroslav Klose. Tickets are 9€, and I am quite tempted to stomach the drive...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He will be allowed to die once all sponsorship contracts have ended.

Or so is the rumour at work.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
about that, aren't his sponsor allowed to check his condition? They wouldn't like to hand money for someone who is dead already

well, some brands do with Steve McQueen and Ayrton Senna, but that's something very different

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
The brain can adapt healed areas to do things that the damaged ones were doing before it were damaged, so that's what I think when I read "Keep fighting Michael".

I wonder if they've looked into stemcell treatment, there are constant amazing advances in that field so there could be something that really helps him in a matter of a few years if there isn't already something

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There is a rumor claiming that Schumi may be transferred to America for further treatment..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:32 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

What really is there to gain from such a move, if it is true?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think certain treatments are legal in the USA but not in most European countries or at least not offered here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

They're making huge advances in stem cell research, that shit is fricken crazy

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am 

If they're gonna try stem cells, that might have a slim chance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
stem cells

Not meaning to offend or shock anyone but South Park fans will get this reference:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There seems to be a bit of news.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 557ba07540

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:24 pm 

Terrible. Extremely upsetting and terrible. :(

I had hoped kind of that either he was getting better (I know massively unlikely but one always hopes) or that failing that, he was unaware, basically gone already and not suffering even if technically alive still. This seems to be the worst case scenario where he has just enough function to suffer. Terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

To be honest, this doesn't seem like one of those "no news is good news" kind of situations. I've always figured the silence and mystery surrounding his condition was an indication of that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:45 pm 

:(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40 Next