TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A documentary on Schumacher will be aired starting today (Wednesday) on Netflix.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So in a 1 hour 50 min documentary, it was a detailed build up of 1 hour 30 min to his first title for Ferrari in 2000, then less than 5 minutes about his next 4 titles, short mention of retirement and even less about Mercedes. Almost as if they thought wow, we spent too much time on his first years, better speed the other things up.
They end with his ski incident, but nothing new.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

To be fair, the aim of his move to Ferrari was to win the first championship since 1979. The ones after that apart from 2003 were canters and he had nothing left to prove by that point.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Movie wasn't bad, but after a good beginning they just rushed it and made some big mistakes. Many of the shots in the montage after his 2000 title win is Barrichello.The shots in suzuka, all are Barrichello. The overtake in Malaysia 2003 turn 1, Barrichello. In the credits a Ferrari sliding in Monaco is Jean Alesi from 1995 I think. Just poor editing. But from the final part we finally know now that he can't really communicate, especially the part with Mick where he is sad they can't talk about their passion of motorsports confirms this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

cookie wrote:
Movie wasn't bad, but after a good beginning they just rushed it and made some big mistakes. Many of the shots in the montage after his 2000 title win is Barrichello.The shots in suzuka, all are Barrichello. The overtake in Malaysia 2003 turn 1, Barrichello. In the credits a Ferrari sliding in Monaco is Jean Alesi from 1995 I think. Just poor editing. But from the final part we finally know now that he can't really communicate, especially the part with Mick where he is sad they can't talk about their passion of motorsports confirms this.
That is sad on so many levels :( I worshipped him as a teenage F1 fan, so I guess I'll watch it anyway but it sounds like a disappointment overall.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:33 am 

how can you not tell it was Barrichello :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:25 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
how can you not tell it was Barrichello

These kinds of doco's aren't edited by people who know anything about Formula 1.

Didn't Michael change from a white to a red helmet half way through that year? A video editor who has never watched F1 wouldn't know.
Happening with other subjects too, as the new Led Zeppelin documentary is another dumpster fire of inaccuracies for a true fan. It's a shame this stuff is made by and for the lowest common denominator so the true fans get screwed or have their intelligence insulted time and again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:30 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh, and going back on subject, it was Monaco 2000 when he changed to his immortal red design.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:26 am 

In the SENNA doc they use a clip from 1990 and call it 1988

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They also showed Magny Cours 96 with the engine blow up as a lead on of absolute disaster to his fabulous win in Spain. Which was ofcourse before.

I didn´t see or learn much that I didn´t already know before, partially because I folliw F1 since the early nineties and saw it all happen live. To all who are watching F1 since the mid eighties or earlier: did you have the same feeling with the Senna docu?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Let us not forget how much of Snetterton and Brands Hatch was in RUSH recreating all of the famous Hunt/Lauda races, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Inaccuracies in a fiction work don't break the implicit contract with the viewer that the narrative is more important, to a certain degree.

I find it a lot less excusable to not respect simple chronology in a real documentary, or not even checking the car number in a given footage to ensure that's the driver you're presenting it to be. Whether clumsy or dishonest, a shortcut in a job will always remain so, regardless of how many people will actually notice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Expectations guys. This is not intended to be an Academy Award nominated documentary.
Pretty sure it's a relatively small budget production, but having said that I do tend to agree that proper quality checks for accuracy are important nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My impression is that the doc goes in an unclear direction. They can't decide whether it's for die-hard motorsport fans or for a more casual drive to survive like audience. So, it's a bit underwhelming. It has some good bits, like Schumacher's reaction to Senna's death, but in general I got a little disappointed with it.

codename_47 wrote:
Let us not forget how much of Snetterton and Brands Hatch was in RUSH recreating all of the famous Hunt/Lauda races, apparently.

Yes, the Monza race at Rush was recorded at Brands Hatch. But it's a movie and I understand it, as it is still a piece of fiction. The logistics of taking historical cars to another country and film there probably would be a nightmare for something that wouldn't change the story that is being told. So, no big deal.

But showing Barrichello driving when Brawn is praising Schumacher's bravery on a documentary with actual footage is disappointing.

cookie wrote:
In the credits a Ferrari sliding in Monaco is Jean Alesi from 1995 I think. Just poor editing.

The car featured in credits is Berger's actually.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:18 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Why didn't they just hire Antti K to make it?

As a Finnish kid I obviously hated Schumacher. But now that I saw some new to me early 90s interviews from him, I have noticed that I have similar mentality at some things. Interesting, because kids hate their parents and then grow up to become exactly like them.

But still. It's a badly edited and boring documentary. We have all felt bad for Michael since 2013, he should have deserved far better documentary, even a series. Netflix gives multiple seasons for low IQ serial killers but not for THE Michael Fucking Schumacher?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
taking a hook from the world cup, I'll share a story told by a journalist who also happened to play a friendly football with Michael and other drivers (the same one who told this one)

originally published in September, 2000

Quote:
About two months ago, I was called to a Ferrari motorhome by one of his [Schumacher] security guards, who also serves breakfast and lunch when he's not keeping intruders away from the team bus. I was kinda surprised, found out I was being called for duty: to play for the Ferrari team at the thursday before the US GP at Indianapolis, against Fisichella and Trulli's team. "You're gonna be our keeper", said Salvatore, or Toro. Since the guy was huge, I found better to accept the call, despite being out of shape and a while without playing.

Before they start talking crap, I am an excellent goalkeeper. If I had 20 cm in height, perhaps I could be playing for the national team, or in Greece for the end of my career. But even though I'm a short man, I had my skillset, the Ferrari got aware last year, between the Malysian and Japanese GPs.

We were all in one of resorts in Cherating, before departing to Suzuka, and the brazilians, that were a few, formed a team to play the italians. We set about two malayans in the attack, one british in defense, a japanese playing left winger and a vietnamese in a middle to fill the team and there I was in the goal, after searching for a set of gloves, that I eventually found. We won one and lost another, with a head strike from Toro. But I was the best in the pitch that day, by far, that's why I was called for the game at Indy.

It was the day before yesterday, and I had forgotten. I went out searching for a set of gloves again, and I didn't found one. In Malaysia it had, in the US it didn't. But I bought a pair of boots. And arrived at the field. It was quite a decent stadium, but I was late. Both teams were already in the pitch. I raced to the locker room and had to pick the white kit, from Fisichella and Trulli, and not to play on the goal.

While I was changing, someone got into the humble locker, someone I had seen before. It was Michael Schumacher. The guy's a footballer. Definately earned my respect in this match at Indianapolis. I do respect those who knows how to play. Michael greeted me, just like all the other players and from then he was one of us. A regular guy, a mortal, despite being a bit more rich and famous. And wearing red jearsey. Therefore an adversary.

We headed for the game, I entered in the middle of the first half, and they placed me on the left back. Since Schumacher was a striker, we had a quick clash during some time in the game. We fought for a ball and it was a throw-in for us. It was just that our small clash because he went to play as a sweeper, and then a right back, and we lost 1-0, and I don't talk to my a dversaries after defeats.

Schumacher is talented. He's quick, can read the game, smart, is good at passing but is not at kicking. But after all, it is a footballer. Is that guy who runs like a player, put his hands on his waist, complains to the referee and talks all the time, in german. Fisichella, my striker, is too selfish. I yelled at him twice after going to the attack and not passing, but has some skills. Trulli is quite bad, but runs a lot and displays good effort.

It was fun the day I played ball with Schumacher. Is nice to see people like him having those moments of regular Joe, sharing the locker room, wearing the same uniform as you. At the final whistle, Michael didn't even took a shower. I don't know how, he wasn't sweaty, even though he ran a lot. Changed and went ot for dinner.

As for me, defeated in the pitch, still had forgotten my new boot in the locker. It doesn't matter. I play well, didn't compromised. That's what matters more. But if I was in the goal, we wouldn't had lost. And if Fisichella and Trulli haven't had wasted so many chances, we had won and Schumacher wouldn't leave the pitch with that dumb winner's smile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so is been 10 years since the incident and looks like his suffering keeps going on

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For me, Schumi's been dead for 10 years. Only thing is that you can't talk about him in past tense. So you can't say "he was a great man", but "he is a great man". Effectively, it's all past now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:01 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

JJ wrote:
For me, Schumi's been dead for 10 years. Only thing is that you can't talk about him in past tense. So you can't say "he was a great man", but "he is a great man". Effectively, it's all past now.
THIS

I feel like his eventual death will be a sad footnote, and not the historical moment that it possibly should be.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He ain’t dying anytime soon, he has a team of doctors (20+) at his beck and call 24/7 keeping him alive. Although last thing I read that Ralph had said that Corina seem to have now accepted his fate and was starting to live a normal life again, so I guess you never know, Ralph is seven years younger that Michael (iirc) and he looks almost geriatric so I can’t imagine how old Michael looks now.

Didn’t they put him in a Mercedes or something recently to try and “stimulate” his brain?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40