TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1100 101 102 103 104335 Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
It's a shame that the demand for a shitload of sponsorship money makes these liveries happen only in fictional design

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:04 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://www.clublexus.com/articles/news/ ... n-2014.php
Lexus in F1 in 2014 :o

Pittsburgh Steelers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The article is dated 1st April. I wonder how true it is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Probably a joke.

But I wouldn't be surprised now that Honda is on the verge of entering, Lexus (or Toyota) will join soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

Aren't April Fools supposed to have a comedy slant to them rather than, you know, outright lies?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ryan86 wrote:
Aren't April Fools supposed to have a comedy slant to them rather than, you know, outright lies?

That's the thing about this article. For something posted on 1st April, it is written with a deep amount of detail and (supposed) fact. No obvious comedy. Which is what 1st April is supposed to be about.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

While I can see Toyota return (either under own or Lexus name) I strongly doubt they come back with a team.
If they do come back I expect them to go the same route as Honda is taking thus only supplying engines to one or more teams.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 pm 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... ine-sound/
Quote:
The calmer tones of F1's new-generation turbo V6 engines could be artificially enhanced, according to Bernie Ecclestone.

The F1 chief executive is worried the sport will lose some of its appeal to fans when next year's engines fail to live up to the dramatic noise of the current V8s.

The Grand Prix circuit promoters, led by Australia's Ron Walker, are also worried.

"As Bernie will attest," Walker told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt, "it (the V6) sounds like a lawnmower engine, and we will be fighting this tooth and nail."

Less publicly worried are the engine makers themselves, who see the new regulations as a welcome step into the automobile's modern era.

It is also expected that Honda could now return to F1, amid rumors Volkswagen and Toyota are also interested in the V6 rules.

But Ecclestone thinks the radical change of regulations is actually a risk for the suppliers.

"The danger is that what will happen is what always happens with the manufacturers, which is that if it doesn't work they will stop," he told Autoweek.

And another risk is that the 'lawnmower' tones of the V6s will also drive the spectators away.

"What Ron (Walker) is saying is that you have to make sure that the engines will make it to 16,000 revs," said Ecclestone.

"That was agreed and now we know they won't rev to anything like that. The fuel flow has been agreed so even if you have big tanks it still can't rev (to 16,000)."

Admitting it is not his preferred option, Ecclestone nonetheless revealed that artificially enhancing the V6 engine sound is a possibility.

"Maybe we can make them sound like the current engines," he said.

Walker added that in 2011, "(FIA president Jean) Todt told me in Australia that the next thing is they are going to have a hybrid.

"I said 'what about the noise' and he said they will put a squeak box on the back of the car. God almighty!"

Posted on Thursday, so no April fools joke 8O

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
ryan86 wrote:

That's the thing about this article. For something posted on 1st April, it is written with a deep amount of detail and (supposed) fact. No obvious comedy. Which is what 1st April is supposed to be about.

Glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that this year. When people start even slightly wondering whether it's true or not, the joke's on the writer, not on the readers. It's just pain-in-the-ass comedy, the worst form of comedy there is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:15 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

coldtyre wrote:
kals wrote:
ryan86 wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that this year. When people start even slightly wondering whether it's true or not, the joke's on the writer, not on the readers. It's just pain-in-the-ass comedy, the worst form of comedy there is.

It's more like stand-up comedy where the audience is outraged by the act or is confused.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bernie's been bitching about the new engine's since before the new formula was even decided & he was banging on about how crap they sound before he even heard one.
James Allen heard the new Mercedes unit a few months back & didn't seem to think it sounded that bad.

Also Indycar have V6 Turbo's & I actually quite like hoe they sound & the switch to the V6 Turbo hasn't harmed the racing at all.

We have the same sort of arguments everytime there's a change of anything in F1. The move from V10's to V8's in 2006 was going to harm spectator interest because of how crap the V8's were going to sound, The 2009 aero regulations were going to make cars so ugly that people stopped watching & the stepped noses of 2012 were supposed to do the same. Yet each time after some initial complaints a few races into the season everyone stops complaining & just focuses on the on-track racing which is afterall what we all watch to see.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No one will give a flying fuck if the cars all sounded like 2CV's if the racing was great from the first to the last lap. Nor will anyone care if the engines where awesome sounding V12 3,5l's when each race is a boring parade.

In the end people want to see racing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
We have the same sort of arguments everytime there's a change of anything in F1. The move from V10's to V8's in 2006 was going to harm spectator interest because of how crap the V8's were going to sound, The 2009 aero regulations were going to make cars so ugly that people stopped watching & the stepped noses of 2012 were supposed to do the same. Yet each time after some initial complaints a few races into the season everyone stops complaining & just focuses on the on-track racing which is afterall what we all watch to see.

Still glad though that this idea never made it to the real cars.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:27 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

LOL that shit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

StefMeister wrote:
Bernie's been bitching about the new engine's since before the new formula was even decided & he was banging on about how crap they sound before he even heard one.
James Allen heard the new Mercedes unit a few months back & didn't seem to think it sounded that bad.

Also Indycar have V6 Turbo's & I actually quite like hoe they sound & the switch to the V6 Turbo hasn't harmed the racing at all.

But to be honest the sound has always been a massive appeal of F1 to me, and every time I took a friend to a Formula One event for his/her first time, they were ammazed about the sound these cars have. Personally I already miss the V10 era, because these things were just absolute beasts, you could feel the vibration they set off in every part of your body, even if you were behind a grand stand. The V8's are already a massive step backwards. The V10 just jumps at you, yells straight at your face and shakes you. That's what I miss. I don't so much care for watching the cars around the track just because of their speed. Yes, if you see an F1 car live it blows your mind how fast these things can decelerate and corner, but that's not the reason I go to an F1 event. You get used to the speed. But you don't get used to the sound and it's affects on you. I got almost a bit addicted to it and was so dissappointed when I heard a F1 V8 for the first time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:32 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

And yet when stuff came in that fundamentally hurt the racing product (Traction Control, the excess of aerodynamic flick ups in the 00's, hell, even refuelling) they made great fuss about how this would actually be for the good of the sport.

Traction control made the engines splutter and wheeze and sound HORRID for about 6/7 years and they didn't have a problem with the cars sounding like they were shedding bolts every time they got on the power.

Selective, Bernie.....very selective.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:01 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
And yet when stuff came in that fundamentally hurt the racing product (Traction Control, the excess of aerodynamic flick ups in the 00's, hell, even refuelling) they made great fuss about how this would actually be for the good of the sport.

Traction control made the engines splutter and wheeze and sound HORRID for about 6/7 years and they didn't have a problem with the cars sounding like they were shedding bolts every time they got on the power.

Selective, Bernie.....very selective.

Bernie didn't introduce any of the things you're talking about though.

And anyway, he's right. V6s don't sound as good as V8s. Which aren't as good as V10s. Or V12s.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Have any of us actually heard what the new V6's sound like? Or are we just making rash judgements based on assumptions and media speculation?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's political posturing from Bernie to deflect attention away from other issues and try and heap pressure on the FIA.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That wasn't meant for ellis, rather for everyone else who's moaning for the sake of it. Plus, from what I understood ellis isn't talking about generations of F1 engines but engine configs in general. And I agree with him on that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1100 101 102 103 104335 Next