TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Do you think there will be a F1 race in New York since Sandy?
Yes 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
No 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 24
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:20 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

After watching the New York/New Jersey area get slammed by hurricane Sandy, I personally think that the Grand Prix will not happen. The city just does not have the budget to keep this project going and repair the city's infrastructure. I would be really surprised if they held a race next year...

On a side note...
I just got back from visiting the Austin F1 track.. Its starting to come together but, I am extremely worried about the traffic situation since there is only one road in and one road out of the track.. I am serious... Its going to be hell.. I will be there in three weeks to report the situation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

Personally I think it will never happen, regardless of the damage the storm did.

and besides, one grand prix per country in the world should be respected from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry for repeating my post. I originally posted this in the random discussion thread but feel this thread is more appropriate. Ignore it if you have read it or think its a shit opinion.

"I have always thought that Bernie runs FOM as a Mafia organisation. Think about it. They play interested parties off one another, have them spend a huge amount of money on a track dictated what most specifications are by the FIA (they can't just build any old thing), and if that is not good enough and the FIA demand changes, this is at the expense of the circuit. Then after building the track, they then have to pay for the privilege of holding the race. Then after spending all that money they get threatened with race fee increases. They then have to pay for their promotion around the track. Then depending on how much you have spent, the populace might react negatively against your...investment? They only get 4-5 year contracts and can get dumped after that. I may have the finer details wrong but this is essentially it.

As long as I can remember 20 years of following F1, Bernie has stated that he wanted a GP in New York. Now he had the opportunity he hasn't done shit, sticking to his normal line. If he really wanted it, he would have had it paid for instead of saying they ran out of time for their contracts. He knows what a one way bet building a track is and doesn't want to be holding the bag at the end of the day.

If this falls through I don't think a New York GP won't be on the cards for a very very long time if ever."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I didn't think it was state funded?

If it is, I can see it falling through because rebuilding a city and people is far more important than a motor race that the city doesn't really need (F1 needs this more than NJ/NY needs F1).

But this is supposedly the best country in the world; in 18 months time, Sandy may well just be a distant memory. We don't know yet how bad it is, they're still evaluating everything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
I didn't think it was state funded?

Correct, it is not. It is being funded by a businessman who owns some of the real estate that the track will navigate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mercedes5CLR wrote:
I would be really surprised if they held a race next year...

So would I, seeing as it's already been taken off the calendar for 2013.

Might go ahead in 2014, but there are a lot of hurdles.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:43 pm 
The most anticipated member

Well...once it was announced, there's always a hope the event to happen.

But I wouldn't mind If the event gets cancelled for real specially If it means a possible return of French Grand Prix (according to the Paul Ricard rumours in 2013).

A Grand Prix in France again is a bigger need in Formula One than a second GP in the US. My opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:55 pm 

Tobias wrote:
Personally I think it will never happen, regardless of the damage the storm did.

+1

Even without Sandy, I never really believed it would happen anyway