TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 157 58 59 60 61 62 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

phil1993 wrote:
I remember reading recently that as there were crap support races at Singapore in 2008, Bernie bought about 15 Fiat 500s but forgot to hire any drivers and ended up sending some journalists in the cars :lol:

Essentially Long Beach did the same thing every year with the terrible Pro-Celeb races.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shameless plugging alert.
http://www.f1zone.net/news/abu-dhabi-gr ... ngs/16568/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
"It was incredible how Sebastian came up from the pit lane. He must be the luckiest person in Formula One."
The usual good grace in defeat from Lewis Hamilton after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/quote/index.html

Nice one Lewis.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

The luckiest man in F1 doesn't have to start from the pit lane when the team cocks up the fuel. If anything, Vettels luck throughout the weekend was neutral at best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Family friend was at the race and I now have a programme and other bits :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:59 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Doesn't Lewis genuinely mean "luckiest" as in "most happy"? Maybe it's the language barrier but that's how I interpret that quote.

And you can't argue with the fact that Vettel probably is the "happiest" person in F1 after this race.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No, it means what it's supposed to mean, but it doesn't sound malicious or jealous.

Even if he was, he'd have a right to be, seeing that happen after McLaren heaps shit upon his doorstep week after week.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No, I think he meant lucky. Whitmarsh said it, Button did too. Fernando was complimentary but also mentioned the safety cars.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Not sure why those SCs were lucky for Seb exactly. Pitted under the first one and had to restart last. Only made up 1 place in the second one, and the cars which crashed were already behind him. And his pass on Jenson was skill, not luck.

Whitmarsh might've said it, but he's so amazingly and stunningly full of bullshit that it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh yeah, Whitmarsh does spout a lot. The first one allowed him to close the gap and inadvertently it worked well because he was forced into a stop out of his own error. But it wasn't *that lucky*.

The second safety car was luckier because it meant he was right on Button's exhaust rather than about 12s behind.

Great world champions have drives like this - it was some luck, but a lot of skill. I mean, he just cruised up behind Webber and his pace was very strong. He was lucky though that where he hit the DRS board there was a bit of run-off!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:06 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

phil1993 wrote:
Oh yeah, Whitmarsh does spout a lot. The first one allowed him to close the gap and inadvertently it worked well because he was forced into a stop out of his own error. But it wasn't *that lucky*.

The second safety car was luckier because it meant he was right on Button's exhaust rather than about 12s behind.

Great world champions have drives like this - it was some luck, but a lot of skill. I mean, he just cruised up behind Webber and his pace was very strong. He was lucky though that where he hit the DRS board there was a bit of run-off!

The second one was fairly lucky, but he gained no spots directly from it (all of this "half the grid crashed" shit ignores that they were behind Vettel when they did it) and actually had to pass a car that was good enough to get pole and lead comfortably in the hands of Lewis. So luck closing up, but he still had to get the job done. A job which people keep insisting that he can't do, and he keeps doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:06 pm 

I'm puzzled why the Vettel fanbase goes immediately into attack mode when someone dares to say, Vettel's success yesterday was down to luck. Vettel has his 2nd turn of bad luck in qualifying (just like other competitors like Alonso and Hamilton had bad luck more than ones). The external influence of a total chaos Grand Prix enables him to pull out a very good drive and score an exceptional result. That is luck. Saying this is not belittling his performance.

Rather strange to accuse everyone who mentions the word "luck" of being a bad looser.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

a7b7u wrote:
I'm puzzled why the Vettel fanbase goes immediately into attack mode when someone dares to say, Vettel's success yesterday was down to luck. Vettel has his 2nd turn of bad luck in qualifying (just like other competitors like Alonso and Hamilton had bad luck more than ones). The external influence of a total chaos Grand Prix enables him to pull out a very good drive and score an exceptional result. That is luck. Saying this is not belittling his performance.

Rather strange to accuse everyone who mentions the word "luck" of being a bad looser.

They go into attack mode because everything Vettel does is never good enough. It's all the car? Still won when the car wasn't the best. He can't pass? Still passes cars. He can't do well from the back? He finishes 3rd anyway. Hell some people even criticise him for not having a personality! So he gave a brilliant speech at the autosport awards. Meanwhile Fernando is given drive of the year for winning in Valencia, despite being given that win after the dominant car failed. See the imbalance in how we approach drivers here? Yeah there was a bit of luck, but luck didn't give him 20 positions.

If people don't like him, that's cool. But there is always a stream of people waiting to post about how he was lucky and its the car and Lewis and Fernando are better. The amount that we belittle drivers now days is unreal. All this talent on the grid, and we seem to concentrate on trying to tell everyone that other drivers are better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

If it was lucky or not, Ferrari and McLaren should be quiet. Let's not forget how lucky Alonso was in Valencia. And how lucky Button was with the SC's at Canada last year. I haven't heard those drivers about lucky that day. No, Button even said it was his best race ever....... And I forget Hamilton who was very lucky with his championship in 2008. They should be quiet. Vettel did just a great race. He was very great with passing Grosjean and Senna, which was necessary to score good points.

I think Alonso/Hamilton are a bit jealous of Vettel's achievement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

good point Regiotap.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh they are. Hamilton is the guy who was supposed to be Vettel - young, cool, charismatic, PR savvy - and he's seen that all go Vettel's way while believing that he is the better driver.

On another note, F1 Racing is looking for a deputy editor, maybe I should apply? :p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Loved the race so much. It reminded me of the earlier '00 times with Schumacher, Montoya and Raikkonen or even with Hakkinen before.
A driver which overtakes everyone from the back, the tension at the end (will Alonso overtake Kimi), then the Team Radios from Kimi, some incidents, a great crash from Rosberg with no-one hurt and finally, Lewis Hamilton's DNF.

I never noticed that, but we actually have a very nice grid at the moment. We really have great and different personalities, like Alonso, the politician and motivator (when he held the trophy yesterday and looked to his team I had some goosebumps), Hamilton, the relaxed and nice guy, Kimi, the coolest guy ever and Vettel, who really has the possibility to win more championships and beat Schumacher's records.

At least, we still have Button and Webber, they are really cool guys.
Anyway, I guess that everyone in the field is a great driver, unlike some years ago when we had guys like Yamamoto who, in my opinion, wouldn't be able to win championships.

I say it all over again, we are having a great season, even with some boring races, it is exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:19 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

acopip wrote:
Hamilton, the relaxed and nice guy

what?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hamilton is very relaxed at the moment...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

dicksplaash wrote:
acopip wrote:
Hamilton, the relaxed and nice guy

what?

Right.
He never argues with the team. In the past he did, but now he is so relaxed that I'm actually surprised!
Never saw another driver as relaxed as him. He is always nice and grateful to his team

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 157 58 59 60 61 62 Next