TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only penalty that will ever work is immediate physical punishment. Put those small "speed-bump"-like curbs like we see in chicanes to avoid shortcutting.

Cheap, easy to install, doesn't impede advertisement, and drivers who really lose it just have to either slow down or take an even longer route before rejoining. Problem solved.

This is if they absolutely have to keep that stupid run-off. I have never seen any driver actually losing it to the outside of a hairpin exit. It just never happens and can't physically happen, you either overshoot it at braking or spin to the inside on throttle.
They could just put a wall there and nobody will ever hit it, see Canada hairpin or La Source before they (horribly) modified it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No. If there's tarmac everywhere, the car will just destroy itself on the bumps, perhaps fly a bit but it will never get enough height to clear the fence or start a flip, that only happens in gravel traps and bumpy grass.

I was actually talking about slow corners but there be it, put them there too, explode those front wings like gravel used to do. This is F1, not a racing school.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tobias wrote:
I wonder why Alonso wasn't penalised then? Not only did he put all 4 wheels on track, he also managed to get a big advantage by doing that (easing the steering between the two last corners).

FIArrari is perhaps a bit far-fetched, but equal cases should be treated equally.

Alsonso did that a few times, but I remember Vettel doing that all the time during the last grand prix, especially when he was closing up to Button. How many replays were shown with Vettel taking a very wide line? And a few times I saw this happening in the background, but no replays were shown. I think Vettel did most of this 'off the track racing'. Alsonso did that too, I won't deny that.

Button I think I can't remember doing that.

like many have said, the only sollution would be to have a few metres of another material (grass? grind? something else) before the actual tarmac run off area. so that going wide would automatically be punished somehow...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Based on feeling more than actual laptimes it seems they didn't gain anything.

It looks difficult to get any benefit considering the corner angle, unless you go all DTM on the runoff but I doubt it's possible with an F1, at least nobody attempted it!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 50