TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 550 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
It was such a stupid idea to change the track in the first place. Those responsible should be shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Echti wrote:
That's not Tilke-logic but FIA-logic.

FIA doesn't expect Tilke to design 6 kilometer long tracks with 25 odd corners that are just like bending the paper clip.

The FIAs briefings on circuits are pretty strict.

Does the Hockenheim revamp have anything to do with the FIA?

From what I know, it's just to have more laps and therefore more cars passing by for the attendance.

It's the same for the Nurburgring Castrol chicane. They wanted the fans to see the cars for a longer time every lap.

In any case, anyone even remotely behind those two ideas should be smashed in the nuts repeatedly with something heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you see what's left of the old circuit, you'll probably cry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Heh, if you search Hockenheim on google maps as you zoom out from the track the new track disappears and the old track takes its place.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
If you see what's left of the old circuit, you'll probably cry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fuck the new track

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
Fuck the new track

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ye well, rather fuck 2010-result...

Me and all the people in the grandstands didn't hear the contence of that teamradio and were just stunned silent. I spent 17 laps shaking my head in disbelief, feeling incredibly bad for Felipe baby and at the start of the final lap, I couldn't watch it anymore and was one of the first at the carpark to go home and start my 4,5 hour frustrationride...

I had just seen a murder and the victim was Massa's spirit and confidence.

At the end of the year I was relieved and very happy Vettel won the title :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1 is a TEAM sport.

F1 has had TEAM orders throughout it's history.

Massa wasn't in the title fight so it was only fair he aided Alonso's title charge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I guess you had to be there to understand the true anger and discontent of being ripped off and saw a non-race result after spending hundreds of hard earned euros for a ticket, hotel and did 1000 km in 3 days ;)

I had a small glimpse of how people felt during Indy 2005, I was well and truly pissed :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Magnifico wrote:
People are still shedding tears over the old circuit but meh so be it.

Well, I've not seen any evidence of that so far..... :lol:

People got over the loss of the Nordschleife pretty quickly too.... :ohmy:
(Mind you at least there they didn't tear up the historic old track in favour of the less exciting new one)

Tilke didn't do a bad job here, usually even in the dullest of seasons there has been some sporadic bursts of racing action
(Montoya/Kimi 02, Button 04) it's just the fact that the fans loved the old track yet the powers that be dug it up and gave us the new track in the name of making things "Better" for the fans.
Didn't listen one iota really, did they?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jerom wrote:
I guess you had to be there to understand the true anger and discontent of being ripped off and saw a non-race result after spending hundreds of hard earned euros for a ticket, hotel and did 1000 km in 3 days ;)

You see, I disagree with the whole non-result logic.

If Massa was in the title hunt I could kind of understand. But as Massa lead with Alonso running I guessed that there was an inevitability that Ferrari would swap the position of the cars to ensure Alonso maximised his championship charge. So when the swap took place (yes I would have liked to see Massa winning) I wasn't surprised or pissed off in the slightest.

In fact, for a long period of the race I couldn't understand why Massa wasn't giving way to Alonso and protecting him from the potential threat of Vettel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re the track redesign, there were a few good reasons why the redesign went ahead - lack of security as shown by the 2000 walk-on, lack of visibility for fans, safety in the forest section. Same sort of thing that saw the Nurburgring shortened for F1. What's utterly inexplicable was the decision to rip up the road of the old course and plant trees so it can never be run again. I still haven't heard an explanation for why that happened.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Something about compensation from the trees they removed to build the new track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:06 am 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

JJ wrote:
The forest was one thing I always loved about old Hocke. Today, there's only Spa and Monza left in which the drivers go over 300km/h through the aisle of trees.

Montréal is not far from that definition :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

kals wrote:
Jerom wrote:

You see, I disagree with the whole non-result logic.

If Massa was in the title hunt I could kind of understand. But as Massa lead with Alonso running I guessed that there was an inevitability that Ferrari would swap the position of the cars to ensure Alonso maximised his championship charge. So when the swap took place (yes I would have liked to see Massa winning) I wasn't surprised or pissed off in the slightest.

In fact, for a long period of the race I couldn't understand why Massa wasn't giving way to Alonso and protecting him from the potential threat of Vettel.

I agree with the greater good and what's best for the main championship contender, but I was just disappointed not to see a battle for the victory, instead being presented to you on a silver platter. That's not racing. Then there's the humane part, but as we all know that's got no place in motorsports

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Re the track redesign, there were a few good reasons why the redesign went ahead - lack of security as shown by the 2000 walk-on, lack of visibility for fans, safety in the forest section. Same sort of thing that saw the Nurburgring shortened for F1. What's utterly inexplicable was the decision to rip up the road of the old course and plant trees so it can never be run again. I still haven't heard an explanation for why that happened.

Those are not good reasons.

Run-ins happened in more crowded tracks, like Silverstone and even the Barcelona main straight just after the warm-up lap start.

Visibility for fans, sure but most exposition for teams and sponsors comes from TV and not from the attendance. Have there been any surveys where spectators actually asked to see the cars go by 70 times instead of only 45?

As for safety, when it rains it does become a deadly trap which nearly killed Pironi, Warwick, and an F3000 driver in the late 90s. But on the dry there's nothing to hit really, just chicanes that can be shortcutted. Many drivers had very high speed spins (Hakkinen, Herbert, Alesi...) and got away just fine for all the space there is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
I guess I am one of the few people who really likes this track. The old track was good, but it didn't really produce hugely memorable races in it's latter years. I wouldn't take the new one over it, but I am not too sad it's gone. It's like Magny Cours, great to watch. has some amazing corners (Sudkurve and Mobil1 kuve and turn 1 are amazing corners, made better by the fact the cars can really attack them with high downforce).

I won't say I like the new track, but you are completely right about the old track. Whilst it was unique (by the time it was destroyed anyway) it wasn't actually that good for racing. As Martin Brundle once said, in theory it should be great - massive straights with long braking zones, but somehow it never translated over properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The old Hockenheim was a simple layout featuring some straights linked by overly tight chicanes with some twisty bits at the end. But it was that layout that made it totally unique especially when the traditional high speed circuits were either emasculated or removed from the calendar. And it struggled financially because it was so long and the spectators only saw about 10% of the lap and there weren't too many laps. And most of the races on the old track were total rubbish, the cars tended to run as a Noahs Ark of horsepower. And the drivers weren't really challenged there weren't any truly super fast corners, mostly first and second gear corners, just a long way between them.

The new circuit is fine as a layout, there are some nice corners and passing is possible.Its the fact they didn't keep the old track in some form that people don't like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:21 am 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

People get very nostalgic.

Anyway I think given this years form it will hopefully be a goodun.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 550 Next