TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 562 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:49 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Tobias wrote:
chances for rain are diminishing steadily.

Not according to Look East this evening.

Friday = rain
Saturday = rain
Sunday = showers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It will rain. At some point between Thursday morning & Sunday afternoon. This summer has been totally shit and the last three days have been utterly miserable.

I'll keep you all updated. The more cynical and miserable I am, the wetter it's been. Just follow that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Light steady rain would be perfect. If there are breaks between rain periods they obviously bring red flag or SC in those moments.
But as usual, the whole thread gets filled with rain predicting posts and once the race is over it hasn't rained a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 pm 

ellis wrote:
OS wrote:
ellis wrote:
People who get excited for historic racing, especially as support events, usually haven't seen historic racing. Old men with lots of money driving everywhere at half throttle. Usually 1 decent driver (at Le Mans it was usually Darren Turner in a Jaguar) who knows what he's doing and will drive off into the distance. Don't get your hopes up for historic racing - it rarely delivers.

Darren Turner ... decent driver who knows what he's doing? Other than that, I essentially agree - Goodwood Revival aside ... it's nice to see the old cars, but it's often best to see them in the paddock where you get all the magic without the slight disappointment of them not being driven in anger ...

Ever watched the Le Mans Historics? Until this year Turner usually rocked up in a Jaguar and won by over a minute in a 1 hour race. It wasn't a race. Even the sounds are rubbish because most of the drivers don't even get to top gear in them, which shows how bad it can be.

Don't you mean Justin Law, he used to win just about every other race in the Jag.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:29 am 

gd49 wrote:
Tobias wrote:
I remember once those screenshots THE TBK- posted of a snowed-in Brands Hatch. A motorcycle race was scheduled to take place.

Trucks have raced at Brands Hatch in snow. British F3 had to cancel a race at Oulton Park 1 or 2 years ago due to snow. If the British GP had stayed with the Easter date it had back in 2000 for enough years it might have seen snow too.

Well, if F1 calendar schedules were slightly different, we could really see it. Remember a couple of years ago where it snowed in Barcelona one week after the final testings were done there?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:16 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Forecast still has sunshine & heavy showers. One of the campsites is now on amber warning, oh dear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:15 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Snow at an F1 race?

1973 International Trophy at Silverstone:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

phil1993 wrote:
This year has been totally shit and the last three days have been utterly miserable.

changed so it matches with reality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 am 

Quote:
BBC team to wing walk above Silverstone
4 July 2012

Those camping around Silverstone are in for a treat on Thursday, as BBC anchorman Jake Humphrey walks the wings of a biplane above the circuit. He will be joined by race commentator David Coulthard and paddock pundit Eddie Jordan.

Typical of a British summer, rain and even thunderstorms are expected for the duration of the race weekend, although Humphrey is keen to make the most of the occasion.

“This weekend we’re doing an extra special opening for the British Grand Prix,” Humphrey told GPUpdate.net on Wednesday morning.

“We’ve got myself, David and Eddie wing walking above Silverstone at 11 o’clock on Thursday morning. I’m not sure how we’ve convinced Eddie Jordan, at 64 years of age, to strap himself onto the wing of a biplane - which dates from about the 1950s – and fly above Silverstone.

“We thought we would do something a bit different to try and make it a bit special. We’re going to have cameras in all of the camp sites, the fields and the paddock, so if you know anyone who is out at the camp sites tell them to look to the sky at about 11 o’clock!”

On Sunday, the customary post-race F1 Forum will be broadcast live from the Silverstone stage which is located on the outside of Luffield corner. The BBC regulars will be joined by a selection of Formula 1 drivers and personalities, past and present.

The 2012 British Grand Prix will be broadcast live on the BBC, with Sunday’s race build-up beginning at 12:05 BST on BBC1 before the race itself is shown from 12:55 on BBC2. The live Forum commences on the red button service and online from 15:30.

and I thought Sky was supposed to do the exclusive features :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm going to be getting there about 11am :lol: Will look out for that!

Emergency wet weather plan is underway for the campsites
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/woodlands-wet-weather-f1/

:(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 pm 

I don't want to sound racist or anything, but this guy looks like a thug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The guy on the right (in the suit and tie) was the one who organised the FOTA fans event in Manhattan. Olly I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Right then, I am goin to look for advice as I am going on Sat and Sun. I new advice on:

Clothing and footwear,
Food and money,
Places/corners to visit
Time of arrivals and departures.

As I haven't been to Silverstone since that muddy quagmire in 2000. On Saturday, I will be getting the train and on the shuttle bus from Northampton for the qualifing. On Sunday, I will be going on the Megabus to the circuit.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

bigears wrote:
Right then, I am goin to look for advice as I am going on Sat and Sun. I new advice on:

Clothing and footwear,
Food and money,
Places/corners to visit

As I haven't been to Silverstone since that muddy quagmire in 2000. On Saturday, I will be getting the train and on the shuttle bus from Northampton for the qualifing. On Sunday, I will be going on the Megabus to the circuit.

Thank you.

I'd wear comfortable shoes, not stylish ones. I'm leaving my car in the media car park & will change into smart shoes for the paddock, but I'll otherwise be wearing wellies or walking boots. You don't want to be walking around, ruining a decent pair of shoes and aching because it'll be unpleasant.

Take your own food. IIRC they don't search you & it's so much cheaper. These outlets know they can charge a fortune and get away with it because most people don't have a choice.

Not sure about the best places or corners, because I don't know what type of ticket you have. Maggotts/Becketts is supposedly very good because you can see there and the Arena section as well.

What do you mean with times? Time of sessions or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:59 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gutted im not going as it's likely to be wet and nearly every race this year has had good action :)
More of the same for next year please :)

Guessing RB will prob have the strongest package this weekend, unless Alonso can be right place right time again and give the others another masterclass in F1 racing :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
Lotus F1 team is delighted to announce that it will join forces with The Dark Knight Rises, the epic conclusion to Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight motion picture trilogy, this weekend at Silverstone for the 2012 British Grand Prix (06-08 July). To celebrate the partnership both Lotus F1 Team cars - in addition to the team’s garage, driver helmets and overalls - will feature the film’s iconic logo throughout the Grand Prix weekend. The legendary Tumbler vehicle will also be performing an on-track display with the Lotus F1 Team car and drivers Kimi Räikkönen and Romain Grosjean.

The display will take place on Thursday 5th July at 12pm on track at Silverstone (start/finish line) for Formula 1 accredited media, followed by a brief Q&A and photo call with both drivers, including the legendary motorcycle from the Dark Knight films, the Bat-Pod. For the remainder of the weekend, the Tumbler will be on show at the Sky display stand in the grounds of Silverstone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:55 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Tobias wrote:
I don't want to sound racist or anything, but this guy looks like a thug

It's Niko Bellic. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:24 pm 
God Complex Ahoy!
God Complex Ahoy!

Everyone who isn't English is a thug, and every single Grand Prix should be held in England.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 pm 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

bigears wrote:

Clothing and footwear,
Food and money,
Places/corners to visit

Thank you.

Take layers! Think about how much clothing you would need for a cold windy day and then add another layer, plus be fully prepared for rain if possible. Waterproof trousers are both good at keeping wind off and the rain too. It cuts through really cold. Food last year was about £5 or so depending what you want, so maybe £5-10 for each meal you plan to eat.
Phil is right, they don't search you. I was taking food and beer in last year with no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dicksplaash wrote:
Snow at an F1 race?

1973 International Trophy at Silverstone:

real

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 562 Next