TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1354 posts ]  Go to page Previous 164 65 66 67 68
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:24 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

McLaren bullish after setting pitstop record

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100738

does someone have this 2,6 second pit stop on video?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:35 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

McLaren need to do more with their pitstops than just have one quick one. I'm sure Hamilton and Button would take clean 4 second stops at every stop than one 2.6 second stop in a sea of fuck ups.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yay, well done McLaren. You go and celebrate that ONE quick pit stop and try to sweep the rest of the horrendous stops that have cost your drivers dear under the carpet...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Couldn't have said it better. Pretty surprised by McLaren with these comments.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Two 4 second stops would have given Hamilton the lead after Vettel had retired, so a 2.6 and a 10 seconds stop is nothing to be proud of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 pm 

Shows McLaren have improved on their stops. The jack failing on the second stop wasn't really their fault.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fergie wrote:
Shows McLaren have improved on their stops. The jack failing on the second stop wasn't really their fault.

It really is though. It was mentioned this was the 2nd race they've used this jack system, and it failed in Canada too. They shouldn't be bringing out new equipment if there's still bugs to be worked out, and to bring it back a 2nd race for a 2nd failure is beyond retarded. Reminds me of Ferrari's bad run of pitstops with their experimental fuelling rig in 2008, which probably cost Massa the championship.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm 

Philthy82 wrote:
Fergie wrote:

It really is though. It was mentioned this was the 2nd race they've used this jack system, and it failed in Canada too. They shouldn't be bringing out new equipment if there's still bugs to be worked out, and to bring it back a 2nd race for a 2nd failure is beyond retarded. Reminds me of Ferrari's bad run of pitstops with their experimental fuelling rig in 2008, which probably cost Massa the championship.

Didn't realise it failed in Canada, yeah I agree testing experimental systems like that mid-season is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Fergie wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
Fergie wrote:

Didn't realise it failed in Canada, yeah I agree testing experimental systems like that mid-season is a bad idea.

Wasn't it the new red/green light they had that was causing them issues too?
(Something which more teams seem to use now anyway...)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:21 am 

or they might have done calculations which guaranteed it would be reliable. That way they could keep it a secret until raceday so that it gets as little exposure as possible. I'm interested in seeing that 2,6 sec stop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They'd have tested it over and over again back at HQ. No calculations needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
A team as anal-retentive as McLaren wouldn't have tested the system in a race. They would have run FEA analysis on the jack 100's of times to make sure it could sufficiently lift the load (car) without a hinge, or catch breaking. Maybe the increased temperatures increased the fatigue and wore it out? Maybe the jackman was too violent and needed to be more gentle lifting the car, but the pressure going with the pit stop meant he rushed it.

What I am trying to say is there is no way McLaren wouldn't have tested that system before the weekend. They would've tested it on an old car 1000 times to check it's rigidity.

I agree entirely on this. But, since Dennis has been away from the helm standards at McLaren have slipped somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Whatever they did, obviously it wasn't enough. And as said to bring it out a 2nd time after a first failure and have the same result looks a bit silly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
Fergie wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

A team as anal-retentive as McLaren wouldn't have tested the system in a race. They would have run FEA analysis on the jack 100's of times to make sure it could sufficiently lift the load (car) without a hinge, or catch breaking. Maybe the increased temperatures increased the fatigue and wore it out? Maybe the jackman was too violent and needed to be more gentle lifting the car, but the pressure going with the pit stop meant he rushed it.

What I am trying to say is there is no way McLaren wouldn't have tested that system before the weekend. They would've tested it on an old car 1000 times to check it's rigidity.

"Too rough" shouldn't even been in the vocabulary of a jack man trying to pull off a sub 3 second stop. If it's possible he was too rough on the equipment then it hasn't been tested properly.

And whilst they may have tested it extensively, they also do extensive pit stop practice, and I'm sure they get it right during that too. But given they still balls up every weekend without fail, there is still something seriously wrong. Since Ron Dennis left Martin Whitmarsh in charge, McLaren has been a mess. Now they have Sam Michaels claiming McLaren are the best pit crew on the grid. Well I'm yet to see any evidence of that Sam, because right now they are most definitely the worst. He's claiming they can do 2.5 seconds stops, and I'm sure in ideal conditions during practice they can. But as Ferrari pointed out when they were nailing sub 3 second stops, it's different at a track then in practice.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1354 posts ]  Go to page Previous 164 65 66 67 68