TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 53 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:35 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Ospi wrote:
Tbh i am loving the tyres, it's a challenge for the teams in their car development and the drivers in their own skill outside of the racing itself.

Same. It isn't as much luck as some are saying IMO. And in a few races, they'll have all worked it out better and we'll get less randomness. It happened last year too. It just appears more extreme this year because the grids tighter and we haven't got a proper pecking order established.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Beezle wrote:
Omega wrote:
I was surprised by the crowd. Where did they come from? Were they rent by the king? I can't imagine many tourists are coming to Bahrain now, especially if a week ago nobody was sure the race would go on.

plainclothes soldiers

Probably also many felt that racetrack would be the safest place to be in the country.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

just ran across this, official promo for Bahrain GP

... I thought F1 wanted to stay neutral, such a promotion doesnt really help then...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Misterfreeman87 wrote:

... I thought F1 wanted to stay neutral, such a promotion doesnt really help then...

F1 did stay neutral. The circuit organisers made that promotion a few days before the race. F1 has nothing to do with that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

asshat wrote:
One thing I haven't seen lately is a driver changing strategies and having to push the car to the limit to win like Schumacher in Hungary 1998

Didn't Webber do that at the Nurburgring for his first?

Granted, it was an inflicted change of strategy rather than a decision, but I think it still applies.

EDIT: Oh, and as promised

<-------------

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Misterfreeman87 wrote:

Depending on the interpretation of that and the willingness of FIA to punish someone, this could be a reason to punish GP organization. What seems unlikely.

By sending Northern-Cyprus Prime-Minister to the podium ceremony Turkish GP organizers got fined in 5 million dollars and Turkey was under the risk of being banned from FIA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:01 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

EAS wrote:
Depending on the interpretation of that and the willingness of FIA to punish someone, this could be a reason to punish GP organization. What seems unlikely.

By sending Northern-Cyprus Prime-Minister to the podium ceremony Turkish GP organizers got fined in 5 million dollars and Turkey was under the risk of being banned from FIA.

Something similar happened at the Jerez GP, involving the local mayor and the President of Mercedes or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
asshat wrote:
One thing I haven't seen lately is a driver changing strategies and having to push the car to the limit to win like Schumacher in Hungary 1998

Also Button at Barcelona in 2009

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
RtN wrote:
asshat wrote:

Also Button at Barcelona in 2009

Webber 40 laps on softs at Hungary-2010 fits in that too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
EAS wrote:

Something similar happened at the Jerez GP, involving the local mayor and the President of Mercedes or something.

That was because the wrong person presented the winners Trophy, got Jerez a 10 year ban from holding F1 events.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Ian-S wrote:
ellis wrote:
EAS wrote:

That was because the wrong person presented the winners Trophy, got Jerez a 10 year ban from holding F1 events.

Mad Max made the 10 year ban, but when the circuit appealed infront of the WMSC it was lifted. They were lucky to get 1997 anyway, since it was meant to be at Estoril.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:06 pm 

Excellent autosport plus (unfortunately) article by Tony Dodgins on Bahrain. Sums up the antics of the Fleet Street journos perfectly.
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... ust-go-on/

PM me if you don't have access...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fergie wrote:
Excellent autosport plus (unfortunately) article by Tony Dodgins on Bahrain. Sums up the antics of the Fleet Street journos perfectly.
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... ust-go-on/

PM me if you don't have access...

Yep. People were amazed when I said that I knew someone in Bahrain & it was relatively calm. They were like 'but the news said it was like a war zone'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So I wasn't far off with this then?

kals wrote:
This entire week I've been thinking about the Top Gear Middle Eastern Xmas Special when the presenters are dumped in a "war zone", prepared with flack jackets and fear, yet after driving around for a couple of days realise that the place is far safer and friendly than they originally expected it to be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
So I wasn't far off with this then?

kals wrote:
This entire week I've been thinking about the Top Gear Middle Eastern Xmas Special when the presenters are dumped in a "war zone", prepared with flack jackets and fear, yet after driving around for a couple of days realise that the place is far safer and friendly than they originally expected it to be.

Correct. I was talking to Khodr and he just said everyone was angry with British Fleet Street press for what they were forced to do by those who pay their cheques... No-one is admitting Bahrain is perfect, but it's no Syria or Libya.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And another journalist comes out with an alternative viewpoint to the Fleet Street tabloid reporting...

Joe Saward wrote:
This morning I read a report from a supposedly respectable international newsagency which was giving details of the riots in Bahrain. It spoke of “dozens of armoured vehicles” being deployed on the roads leading to Sakhir. This is simply not true. We have now made five trips backwards and forwards from the circuit to the city at various different times at day and night and on different routes. We have counted police cars to gauge the level of police presence. The first day was around 50. This morning was 88, but we have seen only one solitary armoured car, and that was on Friday. Today we were misdirected up a wrong road near the track and found a police encampment where there was a single armoured Land Rover. It is a small reflection on the kind of reporting that is going on concerning the Grand Prix, but it should be noted nonetheless.

Full article here - http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/a-reflection/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

CoCo wrote:
glorfindel wrote:
Can someone please make a wallpaper of massa looking down at his car. Or perhaps a caption comp?

me wants to^^

There you go:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:16 pm 

The media now claiming that Bahrain was safe is as pathetic as those media over-exaggerated the situation. In that article alone. I don't see how safe Bahrain is with amoured cars and loads of police cars. I still hold that F1 shouldn't have a race at a country where the political turmoil is taking place. Furthermore, I don't buy that Brazilian comparison. The scope and potential risk of political riot is so much different to that of street gangs. They are just different.

It is just mind-bogglingly crazy to see that teams now safely returns home start to salvage their image by saying how safe Bahrain is. Greedy business.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 pm 

Jon Noble with another similar article.
http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/ ... at-sakhir/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

asshat wrote:
acopip wrote:
The tyres are good for the show, but racing drivers should be allowed to give 100%, but it's not good that they only can give 50,60% the whole race.
:?

It's called tyre management and is an essential skill for racing drivers. It's a marathon not a sprint. You want to see drivers at 100% you watch qualifying.

but it is 'forced' tyre management these days, you have to use compound X and you have to use compound Y.

It used to be real tyre managment, when we had different tyre makers, with all kinds of different compounds they could use in the race, but they were not obliged to use all of them.

I remember that Prost was a master in this; he sometimes put 3 different compounds at the same time on his car. Some drivers gambled and put hard tyres on to get through the whole race, some drivers didn't and used softs but had to make a pit stop etc etc.

THAT is what I call tyre management. Now it is forced, and in the end, almost everyone is on the same strategy anyway, bar a few laps difference.

I hope one day we will have different suppliers again, and tyre makers going to the limit with their tyres.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 53 Next