TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 3761 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Assuming I have the correct start time, is the race on 2:00 AM for the east coast of the United States?

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:50 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

phil1993 wrote:
First all-British front row since Australia 1995 - Hill & DC; now working for rival broadcasters!

Wow, that's a rather nice fact. In all those 17 years, not once?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OldAsphalt wrote:
Assuming I have the correct start time, is the race on 2:00 AM for the east coast of the United States?

yes sir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Delighted Grosjean is in P3. Arguing he was horribly judged atfer walking into a crumbling Renault team in 09 seemed to fall on deaf ears at times. Even more confident he'll beat Kimi this season.

A team with Ferrari's resources and budget should be embarassed they have produced a car this bad. Same as Mclaren in 2009, what the hell were you doing in the off-season? As a Fernando fan it'll be a long season. They're wasting his prime years.

Have barely been able to follow the coverage since it's all on Sky. Are the race paces significantly different? Whats the tyre situation? Want to know if its worth it waking up and streaming the race or if the Mclarens are going to run away with I'll just catch the highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Someone on Atlas claimed to have spoken to a lot of engineers in the paddock and posted a list of predictions based on what the engineers told him.

All of those predictions have been borne out to a reasonable degree. McLaren fastest on Saturday, followed by Red Bull\Mercedes, followed by Lotus\Ferrari, followed by Sauber and then the also-rans.

This prediction also claims that Red Bull are as much as a second faster on race pace, because the McLaren is supposedly so poor on full tanks.

As far as tyres are concerned, the options are about 5 tenths up on the primes. No-one's sure on wear because there's not been enough dry running.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm 

RtN wrote:
Someone on Atlas claimed to have spoken to a lot of engineers in the paddock and posted a list of predictions based on what the engineers told him.

All of those predictions have been borne out to a reasonable degree. McLaren fastest on Saturday, followed by Red Bull\Mercedes, followed by Lotus\Ferrari, followed by Sauber and then the also-rans.

This prediction also claims that Red Bull are as much as a second faster on race pace, because the McLaren is supposedly so poor on full tanks.

As far as tyres are concerned, the options are about 5 tenths up on the primes. No-one's sure on wear because there's not been enough dry running.

Full of crap. Mclaren is indeed fastest but is followed by Lotus, not by Red Bull/Mercedes. Also Sauber couldn't get into Q3 so they're clearly no ahead in the midfield, and even though Red Bull might have better race pace than the Mclaren's i doubt that it's 1 second faster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Webber had an KERS-failure, and Vettel hasn't got his day with many mistakes. So, I don't think we saw the real Red Bull-pace today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Like I said, it was based upon engineers' predictions. The Lotus is not that much faster than the Mercedes. The Red Bull is probably slower than the team thought it would be. And if Kamui could have replicated his Q1 time in Q2 he would've been 7th in that session.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info. Will try and watch the race, hopefully there is a decent stream out there. If not I'll just have to settle for BBC highlights.

Really frustrating not being able to properly follow one of my favourite sports :/ However I refuse to shell out the money for Sky. Can't justify that outlay at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Full post if anyone cares.

phil1993 wrote:
Saw this from Atlas, from someone who claims to know a lot of engineers

Quote:
RBR: engineers say the RB8 has been designed for the race performance on Sunday, not qualifying performance on Saturday. So you should not expect them having as many poles as last season (unless McLaren screw things up or a track just suits them a bit better), but during the race they will be unbeatable. Their race pace is around a second a lap faster than anyone else. So the RB8 is the opposite of the RB7 which was fastest in qualifying but not so much on Sunday.

McLaren: Their car will be the best in qualifying challenged sometimes by Mercedes and occasionally RBR, so you can expect many poles this season but their race pace is much slower than RBR and a bit slower than Mercedes. They did a RB7 approach regarding this.

Mercedes: On race day they will be second fastest behind RBR, should go for a front grid in qualifying sometimes. This car suits Schumacher a lot.

Ferrari/Lotus: they will fight with each other for 4th place in Constructors. Ferrari has an almost completely new car coming around Spain, so not just updates.

Sauber: Is a very aggressive car in race pace and the way it looks now could even mingle with the Ferrari/Lotus fight. Kobayashi is very happy with the way the car responds to his input.

Force India/Williams/Torro Rosso: top of the back-markers who will sometimes get the points Ferrari/Lotus/Sauber drop.

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen that before. If this is true, it could be interesting for Schumacher if he can pass Grosjean quickly. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:03 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

But, apart from the fact that McLaren have good quali pace and Red Bull race, I think, looking at the picks many of us made for the season, most of us without speaking too any engineers have sort of "predicted" something along the lines of that order.

So the only interesting part may well be right, but the rest of it didn't need paddock engineers to work out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If the predictions are good it'll be either a great race watching the Merc's and RB's come through, or a complete wreckfest in the first 10 laps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ryan86 wrote:
But, apart from the fact that McLaren have good quali pace and Red Bull race, I think, looking at the picks many of us made for the season, most of us without speaking too any engineers have sort of "predicted" something along the lines of that order.

So the only interesting part may well be right, but the rest of it didn't need paddock engineers to work out.

Indeed. The thing about Atlas is that there a vast number of users that seem to think they are either an F1 technical guru, think they know better than the actual engineers, or claim to know someone on the inside or know a friend of a friend. Or that's how it seems anyway. Users are segmented by different threads for different teams.. heaven forbid a non-Mclaren fanboy posts something derogatory in a Mclaren thread.. etc etc. Then you go into another motorsport thread which is not related to F1 and you quickly realize that the majority have no knowledge outside of their F1 bubble.
Makes me happy to be on TBK!! :) *sobs*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:44 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

At least here we have evidence that a member is a friend of a (former?) F1 engineer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 am 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

You forgot Truls, obviously.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:47 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

The race will be boring.

That is all.

:beard:

Edit: lmao at my avatar, I love you guys.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:47 am 

Whatever that post was based on: A genuine engineer or a noob fanboy, it has got the correct qualifying picture so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:04 am 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Right opposite the Rbr, mclaren and ferrari pits and the podium for the race. So pumped!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 am 

Peter wrote:
Whatever that post was based on: A genuine engineer or a noob fanboy, it has got the correct qualifying picture so far.

I'd go as far though to say that the Ferrari is the 9th fastest car out there at the moment and that only Alonso's brilliance is making it look anywhere near reasonable.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 3761 Next