TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1155 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 5658 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Petrov. He did very well this weekend and deserved it with a 5th place. Shout outs to Kobayashi, Webber and Alonso.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

There was some of the best driving for many years

I'll have to say Petrov. He beat his teammate all weekend and didn't only outqualify him, he out raced him as well

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 am 

da_chris wrote:

Stickingly similar to Alboreto at Imola '94

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 am 

Wow I never realized that this wheel of Rosberg reached so high in the air. This was potentially fatal. You don't want to think about what happens when such a wheel crashes into someone's back or head. This shows that no matter how safe the cars themselves are, it always stays a dangerous sport. Thank god no one is seriously injured!

For the rest, quite a nice race! The SC spiced things up, that's for sure. Webber had the luck and played it out beautiful. Such a long stint on the options with these lap times. I am happy for him.

Great result for Petrov as well. And Williams a double-point finish again. Hulkenberg is getting better now by the race thanks to the improved car. Rubens had bad luck with the SC, but still managed to grab a point. The action of Schumacher was very dangerous. It's OK to squeeze Barrichello, but this was out of proportions. If Rubens had touched the wall it would have been a major accident. I am happy with the grid penalty that Schumacher received. I like his fighting spirit, but this was not responsible anymore. Great courage of Barrichello to not hit the brakes but continue!

Last edited by Williams-Fan on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:02 am 
coldtyre wrote:
10 or 20 years from now, a whole new generation will point at that picture and whine about how much F1 was so exciting and spectacular back then, when real men were actually risking their lives at the wheel.

I agree. This is why we watch F1,and why everyone is debating this topic afterwards. It was great to see how hard he was on Rubens. Yes it was dangerous, but F1 is dangerous, and fast, and that is why we love it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

im back from Hungary, was a good race, i saw all the incidents, was always at right place in right time, i saw also how Force India lost a big piece of front wing (wasnt shown on tv) and big big sparks of Virgin when he ran wide, roush hour in pit lane too.. and the great fight between MSC and BAR - it took my breath away for a second cuz i tought it will be a big crash my oh my how close that was :8:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll give it to Webber, although nobody really impressed me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

4 - it would have been a 2 had the SC not intervened.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 am 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

benji_boy2000 wrote:
coldtyre wrote:
10 or 20 years from now, a whole new generation will point at that picture and whine about how much F1 was so exciting and spectacular back then, when real men were actually risking their lives at the wheel.

I agree. This is why we watch F1,and why everyone is debating this topic afterwards. It was great to see how hard he was on Rubens. Yes it was dangerous, but F1 is dangerous, and fast, and that is why we love it.

You see, this is what bugs me. Every year, I read comments from F1 fans saying "F1 is too sanitised and too safe" and the usual whinges every time a new tarmac run-off area or chicane is added to a circuit. And yet the same people immediately complain about something like this being too dangerous. So what is it to be? You can't have your cake and eat it. F1 is either too dangerous or too safe. It can't be both

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It was spectacular for sure but it wasn't what any of us would want to see in a race as it was plain absurd. That isn't being contradictory or complaining, it is just stating fact. Senna did similar at Estoril in 1988 and the reaction was somewhat the same from fans and media alike. Schumacher showed sheer desperation in holding on to 10th place and one point. While he should be applauded for fighting tooth and nail for everything he can get, he should be chastised for causing undue risk to he and many people around him. The crash at Brands yesterday is a prime example of what disaster can happen in these circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:16 am 

7/10
Safety Car Chaos, Barrichello vs. Schumacher, Webber Won :flag:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 am 

Yes but in hindsight, people cite it was one of the great Senna moments of genius. Besides, if anything, that was worse because Senna swerved at the last minute to defend. Michael was heading in a straight line towards the pit wall for a good few seconds

I don't think anyone would want to see it in a race, but equally, we need risky moments like this. How far do you want to take it? Do you want to end up with a stupid rule like the IRL has where you're not allowed to defend at all? That would be the "safest" way of doing things. However, it would also be stupid

I think people just don't trust Michael. That's why they see it as dangerous. However, Michael didn't get where has got by being a complete loon. Like most of his controversial moves, I'm sure it was totally calculated

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yesterday was as dangerous as Spa 2000 where Michael chopped Mika. But then again they were battling for a win and a title, yesterday was absurd because of what Michael was trying desperately to cling on to.

F1 needs spectacular moments, but not moments like what we are discussing. F1 of course doesn't need IRL type rules. You can have spectacular moments but moments that are remembered for bravery and their awesomeness rather than the danger that one particular driver imparts on his peers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 pm 

8/10 It was entertaining with a couple of incidents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:03 pm 

Petrov, because he was faster than Kubica a couple of times this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If Michael wanted to defend his position in a legal manner, he should have moved to the white line as soon as he was no longer traction limited.

Michael's controversial actions are very rarely 'calculated'. He panics. He panicked at Adelaide 1994 when he saw Damon passing him for the title. He panicked at Jerez 1997 when he saw Villeneuve passing him for the title. He panicked at Nurby 2001 when he saw his brother heading down the inside. He panicked at Monaco 2006 when he heard that Alonso was going to beat his pole time. He panicked at Hungary 2006 when he was being chumped by De La Rosa and Heidfeld. When he is put under pressure by another driver, the dirty chops and swerves come out in force.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is possible to have spectacular wheel to wheel battles without the need to swerve into someone at 300km/h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr4dN80TzGM This is a good example of how it should be done. Raikkonen covers the inside well before Schumacher arrives. Once he is alongside he doesn't squeeze him any further. Great pass and great driving from both of them. Schumacher may have "headed in a straight line" towards the wall yesterday but he moved across a car that was already there! If he wanted to block the inside off then he has to make that move before Rubens is anywhere near pulling out of his slipstream.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 pm 

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people thought it was dangerous. I'm not so sure. But the big thing for me is the inconsistency of the stewards, for the second week in a row. Going by some of the moves we've seen over the last few years that have gone unpunished, Michael should not have been punished as well. If this is them saying they're clamping down on driving standards, this isn't the right way to go about it. But I should think if there is a similar incident in Spa involving "unimportant" drivers, blind eyes will be turned once again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In your opinion then James what would be the right way to about it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Don't worry, I moan about chopping in the junior formulas all the time! :p If Di Grassi pulls a dangerous move on Yamamoto then I hope the stewards will deal with it in the same way. It might generate less of a discussion but I'm sure everyone would have the same opinion as the Schumacher incident. Except maybe the fanboys!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1155 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 5658 Next