Yes 55%  55%  [ 41 ]
No, Rubens will. 23%  23%  [ 17 ]
No, An RBR will. 23%  23%  [ 17 ]
Total votes: 75
 Post subject: Will Button Bottle It?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jenson Button recorded six wins from a possible seven to start the season and whilst admittedly his points tally for Malaysia was chopped in half due to being cut short but then so was everyone else's. He amassed 61 of a possible 65 points and looked unstoppable.

Four Races on he has managed to pick up a whopping 11 points in four races, being outscored by the likes of Hamilton, Raikkonen and even Rubens who you thought was dead and buried.
Button has somehow managed to still cling to a somewhat commanding lead of 18 points in the title race though, what with Red Bull dominating then n00bing, Rubens being terrific and unlucky in equal measure and Hamilton coming on strong his poor performances haven't exactly been punished as much as they potential could have been.

However we enter the final six races of the season. Mclaren, well Hamilton, seemingly looking like a genuine threat. Raikkonen seems to have been revitalized and has scored back to back podiums and the likes of Rosberg and Alonso remain consistent potential thorns in the side. Let alone his main rivals of Rubens and the Red Bulls.
With the Red Bull expected to be back to dominant form in the fast but twisty Spa and the KERS cars being advantaged by the long straights at both Spa, Monza and arguably Suzuka.
Rubens still refuses to play second fiddle and on today's evidence nor should he. RBR will soon have to choose who to back [surely Webber is the only sensible choice given Vettel's engine situation].

The question I ask is will Jenson Button bottle it and somehow lose a World Championship that looked set in stone or will the likes of Hamilton, Raikkonen and Rosberg simply help stop his rival getting as many points him as possible?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would love to see Rubens win it, he has outclassed button for the last couple of races but only today he had a race without bad luck. If he can keep this up he can still win it if Button looses more points.

But if Button gets his act together again he should win the title easily, he can afford to just drive for podium places and let Webber and Barrichello fight for wins.

so yes button will win the title.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 am 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

If he loses it to Rubens, he'll have bottled it. Not necessarily to Webber. I still think he'll get there just, neither Webber or Rubens I believe will have the consistency. I mean, Button's had 4 pretty average races and because of all the squabbling, the gap in the championship has hardly came down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:33 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Why isn't Hamilton in the poll? Seeing the last races. McLaren maybe have the best car at the moment. I will not be surprised if Hamilton go to 3rd place in the championship this year.

With the form of Brawn today, I think Button can handle Hamilton this year, but with the current form of McLaren, Hamilton can win a couple of races this year, and the gap between him and the RBR's isn't that big.

Still remember Vettel only have two or three engines left for this season.

But Button will win, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:36 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Regiotap wrote:
Why isn't Hamilton in the poll?

Because he's 45 points behind with six races left.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah so? He scored 18 points in the last two races. Button only 4. If this happens in the next 6 races, it will be Button 84 and Hamilton 81. Don't forget Hamilton would also have won at the Nurburgring.

McLaren have the best car. Button is struggling. Ferrari is back in front with one car. Red Bull is good. Alonso and Rosberg are scoring points. It is not done for Button. And if Hamilton keeps the pace he will do very well in the championship. Only one man feels the championship pressure and that is Button.

But what I said earlier. It looks like Brawn is in good shape again. And Button had a lot of bad luck today. So, he can score another podium soon. :) I'm not a Hamilton-fan, but he is doing very well. And it's up to Button to score some good points. Don't forget Hamilton had a 17 points lead to Raikkonen before China in 2007 with 2 races to go...

The gap between Barrichello and Hamilton is only 27 points. That isn't a big advantage. .I don't think he will win, but he will getting close. And then he will sure regret his actions in Melbourne and Monaco.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:07 am 

Today's race did knock Badoer, Grosjean, Jimmy A, Fisi, Sutil, Kubica, Heidfeld, Bourdais, Buemi, Nakajima and Piquet out the title chase. Shame because I put money on Fisi winning the title last week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:23 am 

Just noticed that you say Hamilton "would" have won Nurburging, and you could tell this all from 400 yards?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Unless Button crashes or only one guy starts to dominate now. The fight against him will be lost within each other as they battle themselves for GP Wins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Button will win it. I can't see him losing it now, but i hope he wins it. It may get close though if his current luck keeps going along...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

red bull need some wins quickly especially at Spa (preferrebly webber) to challenge both of the titles

if not i dont think button will loose the title - i doubt he'll extend his lead - i just think he'll hold on to his points lead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:39 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

ryan86 wrote:
Just noticed that you say Hamilton "would" have won Nurburging, and you could tell this all from 400 yards?

Normally he would have won. His pace was good the whole weekend. Without flat tyre he would be 1st or 2nd in the first corner. Webber got a drive trough. Barrichello didn't had the pace. So yes, I think he could have won there.

But okay, maybe it is unrealistic Hamilton can win the championship. I don't think that. But with his speed, and Button without form and Red Bull with problems. It is possible he can be in the top 3 at the end of the season. But I don't know if McLaren will be strong at high-speed tracks at the moent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm 

I'm not arguing against he "could" have won, but I see no evidence to indicate that he "would" have won. His pace throughout the weekend was decent, but his race consisted of Image and then it ended.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Personally, I think Buttons going to win it this year. He will just ground it out till the last race of the season.

Don't see Hamilon being a threat personally. He might win a couple more races, fair enough, but with Red Bull, Ferrari, Rubens, Rosberg, Alonso, Heikki and the Toyotas all scoring points its going to be lot more difficult to break down the gap. Same for the Red Bulls. It may have been Buttons awesome start to the season that won him the title.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Re: Hamilton.

Hamilton downplays his chances at Spa

He's obviously of the belief that the McLaren does not have the downforce to run with the best of them at the high-speed circuits. Which form about half of the calendar left.

-----------------------

Will Jenson win? Depends firstly on whether Brawn has sorted the tyre issues out. They are only guaranteed one more 'fuck that's hot' circuit at Abu Dhabi. They need to improve their heating mechanisms to be able to run close to the Red Bulls on the RB's preferred tracks. If they have fixed the problem, then the title will depend on whether he can match Rubens in qualifying again.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:57 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Button does seem to be one of those guys who is on fire when the car is absolutely to his liking, but pretty much nowhere if there is some sort of issue or unbalance, so if the Brawn continues to have tyre issues he could lose the title yet. However, I don't think it would be as a result of "bottling" it or some other form of mental fragility, but rather just the fact that he doesn't seem to be able to get the maximum from an underperforming car, and never has.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Jenson Button. I think he's sewn up the title.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If Brawn can keep the pace of last race over the next couple of races he can weell it in. But at the moment Rubens looks much stronger than button to be honest. So I hope Rubens can take the title, but that looks pretty unlikely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 pm 

Fish88 wrote:
So I hope Rubens can take the title, but that looks pretty unlikely.

If Rubens keeps his "lucky helmet" on who knows :p

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:46 pm 
Is Button melting drastically?