Do these changes...
Negatively affect your love of the sport? 74%  74%  [ 86 ]
Positively affect your love of the sport? 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Make no change at all. 17%  17%  [ 20 ]
Total votes: 116
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So, today the FIA have announced two major changes for the sport. These are as follows:

Autosport wrote:
The FIA has introduced a budget cap in Formula 1 for the 2010 season, as autosport.com predicted last month, following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday.

The voluntary cap will be set at £30 million per team per season, and those outfits signing up to the option will be allowed total technical freedom.

The FIA hopes that the move will make it easier for news teams to enter F1 and allow those teams without manufacturer support to be guaranteed a long future in the sport.

As a way of enticing teams to take up the option of the budget cap, the FIA has stated that it will tweak the regulations to ensure those with restricted finances will be just as competitive as those spending unlimited amounts of money.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The technical freedoms accorded to the low-budget teams will be adjusted from time to time to keep their median performance on a par with the median performance of the unlimited-expenditure teams. The regulations for the unlimited-expenditure teams will remain stable and fixed."

FIA president Max Mosley confirmed that the £30 million budget cap would include drivers' salaries.

When asked what was included, Mosley said: "Everything except the motor home (if the team has one) and any fine(s) imposed by the FIA. All expenditure will be included, even the salaries of the drivers and team principal.

"If the team is profitable, it can pay a dividend to its shareholders, who may well include a chief engineer, team principal or even a driver. But we would make sure the team was genuinely making enough profit to cover the dividend."

Mosley also outlined details of what technical freedoms teams that signed up for the budget cap would be allowed.

"A different (but standard) under body, movable wings, no engine rev limit, no restriction on the number or type of updates, no homologation requirements, no limits on materials, testing, simulators, wind tunnels and so forth - most of the cost saving measures introduced over the last few years will not apply to these teams," he explained.

"However measures to save money during the race weekend, such as the ban on refuelling and the Saturday parc ferme, will apply to both categories of team. We are also thinking about a much bigger capacity KERS for the cost-capped teams. But all this must be covered by the £30 million - no exceptions and no free or subsidised outside help.

"Anything supplied by another team or an outside supplier will be included at its full commercial cost except for items supplied to all teams at subsidised rates under the single supplier arrangements negotiated by the FIA (e.g. for tyres), which allow all teams to benefit equally from reduced costs."

He added: "The engine will comply with current rules, except that there will be no rev limit and no development freeze. However, the entire engine expenditure will come out of the cap. If the engine is supplied by an outside commercial entity or another team, we will have to be satisfied that there is no hidden subsidy.

"If a team has its own engine, we will check its full cost just as we will the rest of the car. The current rule limiting manufacturers to supplying engines to one additional team each will remain in place."

and:

Autosport wrote:
Formula 1's world champion in 2009 will be the driver with the most wins during the season, the FIA said on Tuesday.

The governing body also announced that it had rejected a proposal by the Formula One Teams' Association to change the current system. The proposal had been sent by FOTA to the FIA earlier this year.

The FIA announced the current 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system will stay in place, but confirmed the world champion will be the driver who wins the most races in a season.

The points system will be used in case two or more drivers win the same amount of races during a year.

The Constructors' Championship remains unaffected by the changes.

"The WMSC accepted the proposal from Formula One Management to award the drivers' championship to the driver who has won the most races during the season," said the FIA in a statement.

"If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the current 10, 8, 6 etc. system.

"The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system. There is no provision to award medals for first, second or third place. The Constructors' Championship is unaffected.

"The WMSC rejected the alternative proposal from the Formula One Teams' Association to change the points awarded to drivers finishing in first, second and third place to 12, 9 and 7 points respectively. "

Simple poll: Do you agree with the changes made? Discussion encouraged etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Righto, I'll get the ball rolling with these silly scenarios that this points system could bring up:

1) Driver A wins 5 races, spins off in a few and breaks down in the rest. Driver B wins 4, battles hard for podiums in all the other races and such. Driver A wins the title.
2) The title showdown in the last race comes down to Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso with 4 wins each. Raikkonen wins and takes the title, Alonso comes a close second... but as he has so few points other than his four wins, he ends up finishing 6th in the final table despite having been within a few seconds of winning the championship.

:o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
I say give it atleast one season if it fails then the rebuild begins i spose. But hey thats just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:35 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

if the system works i'm okay with it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree with footballs. I don't like the new points system but I'm happy to change my opinion if it works. As for the budget cuts, I'm definitely for that. In the 1980's I remember a couple of teams entered slightly modified F3000 cars, could this practice effectively happen again under these new rules?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This would be particularly stupid:

Final race of the season. Raikkonen has 5 wins and 98 points or something, Alonso has 5 wins and 50 points, Hamilton has 3 wins and 116 points. Despite having the most points Hamilton's race would thus be meaningless even though in terms of points he was in the hunt, and if they finish Raikkonen - Alonso - Hamilton he'll still beat Fernando (and Raikkonen) in the table, but won't have had the championship chance Fernando had :o.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Please let it be an early April's fools.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm 

oh no!
the new points system is ridiculous

the outcome directly eliminates the chance of the less win but more consistent performing driver to get the title
we can't see the case like Frentzen in 99 and Kubica last year with less win still be the contender until last two rounds.

it may also cause more team order in the new seasons, a championship winning team may not afford their wins is distributed
to their two drivers beacuse the team will be more focus on one driver to get max wdc winning chance.
the case like 2007 won't happen again,and we may be see 2002 Austria again in 2009!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Something I posted elsewhere:

Quote:
Widening the gap between points awarded for first and second would have done that (increase the incentive to win) fine and still given consistency a (reduced) chance of succeeding. Doing things the way they are means that a guy who wins 5 and spins off every other race could beat a guy who wins one less but is always on the podium to the title, which is just wrong.

Winning is important in F1, but it's been given far too much weight. Rewarding drivers with more points for winning was fine, but taking away the consistency element so drastically really messes it up. The whole point of a championship is that it is a collection of points from all events.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly, so I'll just quote myself as well..

Mika Kimi wrote:
What a retarded system this is!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Shit happens :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I remember someone else suggesting going back to a best 11 results count type of system. Then both wins and consistency would have been key.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yup. When that was in place before it never really worked as mechanical reliability messed the championship up too much (Villeneuve in '79, Senna in '89 etc), but with today's reliability it would be far more based off performance rather than that.

It would make things a bit confusing at times, mind,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:00 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

I can't even believe this.

Srsly, I'm confused. :ohmy:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This 30mln € budget cap is also ridiculous. :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone have the facepalm handy? What a stupid decision.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is yes but imagine the possibilities of enforcing it. We could have many more cars and very different types of cars racing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:06 pm 
footballs wrote:
I say give it atleast one season if it fails then the rebuild begins i spose. But hey thats just my opinion.

I share yours.

Though I f*cking hate the comparisons from last year where "Massa instead would have won". Blind faggots, it was past and everyone drove according to rules which were present. Media. :yuk:

Silver Member
Silver Member

Negatively affect your love of the sport? !

Any series in motorsport racing with "medal system"? I do not know any. So why the heck does F1 do?

How long until they change back to the point system ?

I guess 2010 when everyone will whine about the WC having a lot less points.