TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 am 

I agree the layout will have much more sense clockwise. that fast long bend would not be too much dangerous and we'll have a nice passing point at the end of the start-finish straight...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:38 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Paris, India, Rome, Korea...I can't believe all locations will have F1 GP in the future, there are enough races. Although Bernie could do the same he did with Canadian GP :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I don't have a problem with new GP's as long as they get rid of the terrible tracks, like Barcelona or Budapest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mattzel89 wrote:
I don't have a problem with new GP's as long as they get rid of the terrible tracks, like Barcelona or Budapest.

Unfortunately the crap tracks are generally the ones with the least chance of being thrown off the calendar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

if you want to get rid of shitty tracks get rid of Valencia. It nothing more than a marketing tool to exploit Alonso's popularity. It has no soul.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 pm 
Tamusz wrote:
if you want to get rid of shitty tracks get rid of Valencia. It nothing more than a marketing tool to exploit Alonso's popularity. It has no soul.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Jiipee wrote:
Tamusz wrote:

Yes yes, we could all read it the first time, just above your post...

So I guess the only thing we can take from this "F1 looking for a second Italian race" is that there's zero chance of Imola ever coming back on the calender?

I guess I'm ambivilant about this, but I just wish we'd had one F1 race on the new layout so we could work out if the new longer straight had any effect on race excitment....

I guess we'll never know...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Its intresting how the FIA likes to keep tracks on the calendar that are hard if not impossible to overtake on (Monaco, Hungary) and yet other circuits that you can overtake on (Montreal, Indy) were dumped. It took them 17 years for them to catch on about Magny Cours when a track like Dijon that has a long straight was in waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:54 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
mclaren2008 wrote:
Its intresting how the FIA likes to keep tracks on the calendar that are hard if not impossible to overtake on (Monaco, Hungary) and yet other circuits that you can overtake on (Montreal, Indy) were dumped. It took them 17 years for them to catch on about Magny Cours when a track like Dijon that has a long straight was in waiting.

FIA would be absolutly nuts to take Monaco and Hungary off as they make shit loads of money. Prolly why magny cours got more years out of its self then it got.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm probably one of a few people who subscribe to this perspective, but I am not 100% that tons of overtaking would be a great thing anyway. I mean, the whole thing about Monaco (well, apart from it being awesome to watch the cars race around in that setting) is that when cars are running closely and finding it difficult to overtake it's actually quite tense.

I'm not saying that overtaking is a bad thing of course, but if they make it too commonplace then it'll lose a lot of the edge. I'd still like the drivers to have to work for their positional gains and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes you are right, it's a balance between overtaking/not overtaking. The key thing IMO is how close one car is following the other. A car following another for lap after lap with 2 seconds between them is not exciting. If the gap was half a second it would be exciting!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Pretty much.

If it was possible to overtake fairly easily at most rounds, Monaco and Hungaroring suddenly become exciting because they're a different challenge. The problem now is that you almost can't overtake anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I dont see how one races makes Valencia awful. Its an interesting layout with a fast fluid sections.
The F BMW Races there were good. Now that F1 cars are simply overgrown F BMW's lets see how they do around the place.
Singapore wasn't shaping out to be much better a race as well til Piquet stuck it into the wall and the rest as they say is history.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Magnifico wrote:
I dont see how one races makes Valencia awful. Its an interesting layout with a fast fluid sections.
The F BMW Races there were good. Now that F1 cars are simply overgrown F BMW's lets see how they do around the place.
Singapore wasn't shaping out to be much better a race as well til Piquet stuck it into the wall and the rest as they say is history.

although valencia may have an interesting layout - all street tracks are doomed look at the U.S attempts in the 80s they eventually faded out

singapore is special because of the night race (the race wasnt to bad just a bit too long)

the only reason monaco stays is simply because its monaco

+ another reason that makes street tracks bad now is that no one can overtake in mordern f1 lmao - 83 long beach thats how its done
there was a crazy amount of overtaking!! :p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:55 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

AyrtonSennaGODsPilot wrote:
+ another reason that makes street tracks bad now is that no one can overtake in mordern f1 lmao - 83 long beach thats how its done

That was the race when Watson won from 20th on the grid or something like that, right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

noikeee wrote:

That was the race when Watson won from 20th on the grid or something like that, right?

Watson started 22nd and finished 1st. His teammate Lauda started 23rd and finished 2nd.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:43 am 

There have been some incredible races where there was no overtaking, like Spain 1981. Gilles Villeneuve's skill in holding off the 4 cars (Laffite, Watson, Reutemann and de Angelis) was incredible knowing that passing at Jarama was hard but the other cars were way faster in the corners and he could just nail it down the straights.

And Hungary's no passing was proven false in 1989 when Mansell was carving his way through and 2006 when Button won from 14th.

And Suzuka is hard to pass on and yet they made it look easy in 2005.

I think that when there are tracks that we expect there to be lots of passing, like Bahrain, Hockenheim, Shanghai, it seems to be limited and there is no do-or-die stuff. When we don't expect it, it seems to come.

Its also unusual that some of the best overtaking moves have come on tracks where it is hard to pass. Mansell on Senna and Johansson (Hungary), Piquet on Senna (Hungary), Raikkonen on Fisichella (Suzuka), Alonso on Schumacher (Suzuka), Hill on Schumacher (Hungary), Mansell on Senna (Spain).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:22 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Apparently Tilke is analyzing the possibilities in Rome. Not one of him again. :eyecrazy:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

jdh wrote:
noikeee wrote:

Watson started 22nd and finished 1st. His teammate Lauda started 23rd and finished 2nd.

ye
absolutely insane :?

john could win from anywhere - just not often enough :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
Apparently Tilke is analyzing the possibilities in Rome. Not one of him again. :eyecrazy:
tilke owns