TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:58 am 

There is only a rumor on Italian news today for now but not so impossible. No track layout yet but it should be in the so called 'EUR' zone of the city.

As soon as I will be home I will scan the article and post a self-made crappy translation of it. :p

Here it is the track map..

Click to enlarge, the track will be 5kms long and looks really interesting. :flag:

Last edited by coland on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

There was one like this in 1985 but it never happened

guardian.co.uk wrote:
ROME, Jan 27 (Reuters) - Rome is weighing up a proposal for a Formula One grand prix through streets on the outskirts of the Italian capital, the city's deputy mayor said on Tuesday.
Former Formula Two driver and world superbike promoter Maurizio Flammini first had the idea in 1984 and has now proposed the scheme again after the Spanish city of Valencia and Singapore held street races last season.
"It is a very interesting proposal and would be very useful for the city," deputy mayor Mauro Cutrufo told Reuters.
The Monaco Grand Prix, which takes place through the streets of the principality, is Formula One's showcase event while Singapore's debut as a night race won rave reviews last year.
Flammini wants a Grand Prix in Rome from 2011 but any plan would have to be approved by Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who is not short of would-be hosts.
Ecclestone intends to bring South Korea on to the calendar in 2010 and India in 2011. He also wants a race in Russia and is under pressure from manufacturers and sponsors to reinstate a North American round.
Asked if 2011 was too soon a target given an agreement was needed before construction could start, Cutrufo said:"Well 2012 would be ok too. It would be a new ingredient for a great Rome, so why not?,"
Flammini has proposed using the streets of the Esposizione Universale Roma (EUR) district of the city.
"We could use the Colosseum," joked Cutrufo. "No, EUR is an historic area of Rome born in the 1950s that is a symbol of the cultural strategy of this country."
Spain is the only country to have more than one race at present, with grands prix in Barcelona and Valencia. Circuits in Germany and Japan have agreed to alternate.
Italy, home of glamour team Ferrari, hosts the Italian Grand Prix at Monza each year and held the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola before it was scrapped after the 2006 race.
There has been talk of more street circuits, with Abu Dhabi following Singapore this season and Paris and London mooted in recent years.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has criticised the trend, however.
"At least Monaco has its own history but to have three or four Monacos is too much," he said last year.
(Writing by Mark Meadows in Milan; Editing by Alan Baldwin)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:34 am 

Here it is the article:

and...

The content is pretty much the same of the News posted by Mclaren2008 in the above post, the 2nd article is the funny histerical reaction of Monza' s Syndic: 'Rome must stop stealing from Nord. The (Monza) Gp is untouchable. Rome should make chariots races. :eyecrazy: The reaction had no reason to be however since Monza has a contract with Bernie till 2011 included. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

I've edited the title, it was miss leading.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:39 pm 

Fair enough, I wanted to put it in hypothetic way but my english sucks... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 pm 

Location: Stuttgart, Germany___ [joined TBK: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:49 pm, had 1736 posts]
The layout reminds me of Indianapolis.

But honestly, I don't think it's a good idea to stage a GP in the EUR district. It's a kind of retarded area compared to the "beautiful" city of Rome itself. I definitely want the Colosseo in the background! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 pm 

There's no point bringing in another European race when lots of other Asian and Middle Eastern countries are wanting races and Canada will be back next year (hopefully).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

mclaren2008 wrote:
There's no point bringing in another European race when lots of other Asian and Middle Eastern countries are wanting races and Canada will be back next year (hopefully).

Wait, what?

I'd much rather see two (or three, if they ever bring Imola back) races in Italy than another Grand Prix somewhere in the Middle East. The Italians have passion. The Arabs just have money.

Sadly, money will talk. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

What?

To be honest I would prefer more European races, with stands full of passionate fans, at tracks like Imola and Monza, than in the Middle East or Asia, where there isnt a full stand in sight and you dont have GP's becuase the local sheik has the most money.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 am 

The only new Middle-East/Asia race that actually had spectators was Singapore. I'd rather have a race in Europe with some atmosphere than another race in Asia or the Middle East.

And the lay out of the circuit looks terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:44 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They should have a look to the circuit layout competition we had a little while ago here. Most are likely a logistical and/or safety nightmare, but certainly better for racing than that. 8O Although turn 1 is interesting, might not be flat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

this would mean no Monza and Monza is one of my favorite tracks :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shaddix wrote:

Not necessarily.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:28 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

meh track, nothing special. Though we can be sure that this won't be the final design

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

noikeee wrote:
Shaddix wrote:

Not necessarily.

both Germany and Italy have only 1 GP because Bernie wants maximums 1 GP / country, so I think it's pretty realistic Monza would disapear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Eddington Mains wrote:
That track in the first post looks truly awful.. left - right - left - right.

Is that the actual proposed layout or just a mock-up by the paper? Cos when rumours of the London GP arose, the newspapers and magazines just made up their own track layouts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:15 pm 

Shaddix wrote:
noikeee wrote:
Shaddix wrote:

Not necessarily.

both Germany and Italy have only 1 GP because Bernie wants maximums 1 GP / country, so I think it's pretty realistic Monza would disapear

So what about the races at Catalunya and Valencia? Or am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

All about commercial opportunities. Germany stopped having two races because Schumacher retired, Spain gets two races because Alonso is popular there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

jdh wrote:
All about commercial opportunities. Germany stopped having two races because Schumacher retired, Spain gets two races because Alonso is popular there.

Yeah I'll just hold my breath waiting for the Welsh/Scottish GP at Silverstone as well as the British GP at Donington on the back of Lewis Mania shal I? :p

Circuit design looks bad, like the proposed Pheonix street race in Champcar a couple of years back.....but I find it hard to get excited by such early "proposals" anyway, I'll wait for something a lot more official! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:13 am 

Is that chilometri meaning kilometer in Italy, if so then that first corner is amazing, I can't imagine the cars are already at full speed after a whole long straight and enter such an uber fast corner, 8O. But If I were the track designer I would rather make the track go clockwise to make at least one overtaking spot on the top right corner on the map though.