TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12093 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1596 597 598 599 600605 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gaara wrote:
Mostly because they look good compared to new tracks. Nothing rose-tinting about that.

Turn eight at Turkey won't gain character because the tarmac runoff pretty much nullifies the challenge.

My view too.

Sepang is a great track, but it always has been. Great flow, nice scenery, good mixture of turns and a penalty for running wide. Its why I can't like Shanghai - the scenery sucks. It's just grey and you have so many alternate layouts and a mixture of grass/dead grass that makes everything look horrible. Abu Dhabi is just terrible. All the money in the world and you create that

I like the Istanbul Park circuit, but there's just so much run-off. Put it in scenery like Spa and it could be the best circuit in the world. I can welcome new circuits if they're good. San Luis is brilliant. Portimao is pretty good too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:12 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I agree with you on that one. They did go through a spell of not giving a shit what the circuit looks like. But I think they've started making more of an effort lately. I doubt we'll see another featureless dustbowl any time soon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well that could all depends on who throws money around to get a grand prix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Turkey is a shame. It's the best layout of the new circuits. If it just had grass, gravel, and trees, instead of 5 miles of car parks at every corner. The worst part is the little kink on the back straight. Why is there 100 miles of run off there, when you could probably still take it flat out with a broken front wing?

They're willing to race at Singapore, and have that crazy final section at Valencia without any run off. So why does it have to be so ridiculous elsewhere? I don't care if people think I'm moaning over nothing, but all these new tracks ruin the enjoyment for me. What's a more exciting scenario - Vettel makes a mistake at Monza, and gets beached in the gravel. Or Vettel makes a mistake at Abu Dhabi, and loses 2 seconds, and carries on in the lead. Retirements do add to the racing imo. The cars are too reliable to ever break down, so the only way you'll get retirements is if somebody finds the gravel or a barrier. And that doesn't happen anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

My feeling is that most of the time you can immediately tell what F1 circuit it is when looking at a picture. For example, you can tell it's Spa, Monza etc. Some of the newer tracks are harder to distinguish.

You need to build up love for F1 in some countries. Thankfully India seems to have a good fan base, but Turkey, China, Korea seem to have very little interest. Another problem is the fact that new circuits build grandstands everywhere, meaning that you can't see fans just sat on banking and the empty seats are highlighted (I think the Shanghai circuit has a 200k capacity).

Oh, and fully agree with Alex ^ We need more driver retirements...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's the only way HRT will score a point. :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Britney on tour...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:10 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
Britney on tour...

haha nico rosberg :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Everyone do the Can-Can

'No, I didn't bully Felipe too much, I've been a good boy'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Turkey is a shame. It's the best layout of the new circuits. If it just had grass, gravel, and trees, instead of 5 miles of car parks at every corner. The worst part is the little kink on the back straight. Why is there 100 miles of run off there, when you could probably still take it flat out with a broken front wing?

They're willing to race at Singapore, and have that crazy final section at Valencia without any run off. So why does it have to be so ridiculous elsewhere? I don't care if people think I'm moaning over nothing, but all these new tracks ruin the enjoyment for me. What's a more exciting scenario - Vettel makes a mistake at Monza, and gets beached in the gravel. Or Vettel makes a mistake at Abu Dhabi, and loses 2 seconds, and carries on in the lead. Retirements do add to the racing imo. The cars are too reliable to ever break down, so the only way you'll get retirements is if somebody finds the gravel or a barrier. And that doesn't happen anymore.

You're not moaning about nothing, this is 100% true and anyone who watched a single Grand Prix before 2000 can only agree.

There have always been butchered tracks and "safety" improvements throughout history, but since the early 2ks it has become absolutely unbearable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:36 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

De Cesaris fan wrote:

I think the the run off at Turn 11 was for the motorcycles rather than F1

Some of the best new circuits have been built in the wrong place, Turkey is the best example.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
Trees make F1 circuits a lot of the time. Put old Hockenheim in the environment of Bahrain and it'd be shitty. Problem with modern tracks, as has been stated many times, is too much run-off, too much tarmac, shitty places like Abu Dhabi and tracks that are just 'meh' and lacking in defining corners that are challenging.

And they're not all automatically rubbish. Singapore is quite good, but so many are shit and unforgettable. Meh, I don't care, I just want Old Hockenheim & A1 Ring back. Hate me for that.

The thing about Hockenheim was that mostly the races weren't that good, few exceptions aside, but what it WAS, was that it was DIFFERENT. And to me that is the problem with all the new tracks, that they are essentially the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

webbsy wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Trees make F1 circuits a lot of the time. Put old Hockenheim in the environment of Bahrain and it'd be shitty. Problem with modern tracks, as has been stated many times, is too much run-off, too much tarmac, shitty places like Abu Dhabi and tracks that are just 'meh' and lacking in defining corners that are challenging.

And they're not all automatically rubbish. Singapore is quite good, but so many are shit and unforgettable. Meh, I don't care, I just want Old Hockenheim & A1 Ring back. Hate me for that.

The thing about Hockenheim was that mostly the races weren't that good, few exceptions aside, but what it WAS, was that it was DIFFERENT. And to me that is the problem with all the new tracks, that they are essentially the same.

I agree with that. When you look back, the old track actually sucked for racing. As Brundle put it, in theory it's great, but somehow it just never provided anything fun in terms of racing. But it had so much character.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah that was also why I liked Indy, it had a piece of the oval. And Monza is just flat-out for 80% of the lap. That's what makes them different from the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There was a time when individual circuit's suited different cars. There was a time when there were different types of circuits... power circuits, tight and twisty mickey mouse circuits, street circuits. But nowadays everything is much of a muchness and there is no individuality amongst the circuits, apart from the obvious at Monza, Monaco and Spa.

Just seen the new shots of the Argentine course and these comments perfectly capture my thoughts...

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I actually quite like that. No hairpin into 1 mile straight into hairpin.

coldtyre wrote:
It's great! It looks like that after all the 2km-long straights to 'improve racing', designers just stopped giving a fuck and went for a twisty, demanding track.

Seems as though the Argentine track will have some individual character.

Last edited by kals on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

phil1993 wrote:
Just noticed, the middle bit looks a bit like a man dancing.

I know it's old, but Shanghai looks like a woman doing the splits :p (with a small head though)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96787

uuhm??? So first he wanted to go back to the USA as soon as possible as F1 needed the USA and now he's like "I doubt F1 will be succeed in the USA"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

He never said that. Read the quotes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:25 pm 
Permabanned

nintendo3dsfan wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Just noticed, the middle bit looks a bit like a man dancing.

I know it's old, but Shanghai looks like a woman doing the splits :p (with a small head though)

it`s a rabbit :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

McLaren to launch on 1st February
http://www.f1zone.net/news/2012-mclaren ... led/11153/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12093 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1596 597 598 599 600605 Next