TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
Alonso did not force Russell into a crash. Russell did not have to choose between avoiding or hitting Alonso, the gap between them was too big.
Alonso did something different than the lap before, it caught Russell by surprise and he lost control of his car. If Russell hadn´t crashed, nobody would have taken any notice and everyone would have said it was good defending, like Perez in Abu Dhabi 2021. So the penalty was given considering the result and severity of the action, something they said they never do like in Silverstone 2021.

This my thought. If Russell hadn't crashed, there'd have been no penalty. Alonso was penalized purely because Russell crashed the thing. Not because he had to take evasive maneuvers, but because of dirty air, which Alonso had no responsibility to make sure Russell had sufficient airflow over his wings.

How again is this actually a penalty? Alonso drove so as to exacerbate the aero wash over his opponents car. Opponent failed to negotiate this and crashed. So the accident is deemed not the driver crashings fault, but the car that created it.

He didn't brake check him or swerve in the brake zone. Russell was in no danger of slamming into the back of Alonso.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:21 pm 

Has there ever been an incident like this in the past where one driver has been penalised for what essentially amounts to causing an accident to another driver, but without it being the result of an actual collision?

It's not meant to be rhetorical like I'm trying to prove a point or trying to be an asshole, I am genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumi forcing Frentzen into gravel comes to mind. Obviously entirely different kind of situation.

Still wonder if there had been a penalty, if it would have been a dilkedrome (typo, not fixing it :lol: ) where Russel had only lost a few tenths.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:09 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The thing that annoys me the most about the crash is a lot of the media saying russells car was either "upside down" or "on its side"

Bullshit!, that's not even a quarter of a flip, if anyone tries to put it on the flip or airbourne lists here, I'll slap it right the hell back off :lol:

(Still though, the wheel tethers are now the most likely thing in F1 to cause a flip, but as long as it keeps the wheels from flying into the crowd, I doubt the FIA care too much)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
The thing that annoys me the most about the crash is a lot of the media saying russells car was either "upside down" or "on its side"

Bullshit!, that's not even a quarter of a flip, if anyone tries to put it on the flip or airbourne lists here, I'll slap it right the hell back off

(Still though, the wheel tethers are now the most likely thing in F1 to cause a flip, but as long as it keeps the wheels from flying into the crowd, I doubt the FIA care too much)
Yep I got spoilt by Google news headline saying Russell has a last lap flip, the crash did not live up to that description!

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
The crux of the issue in the Russell vs Alonso incident, is had Alonso not done what he did, Russell wouldn't have crashed. Full stop. And if you do something to end someone's race, you should be punished. Whether it be run them wide, weave, brake check, not give them racing room, it caused someone to avoid contact and ultimately they hit the wall, quite heavily. I wouldn't call it sporting from Alonso, and the fact he's lied about (the FIA didn't buy the "battery issue" he had) makes it malicious.

Such a take is crazy to me (respectfully). Obviously if Alonso hadn't existed, Russell wouldn't have crashed. And of course it was "malicious" intent, your job is to make the other guy's life difficult, the key aspect here is whether it is unreasonably dangerous or not. In this case, where the closing speed wasn't that high, there were early signs something fishy was going on, no contact happened, and Russell ultimately crashed only because of dirty air.

It's not a penalty-case to me, but as wisely said by someone here, I may be judging this with outdated standards that give more emphasis on personal responsibility, rather than a strictly-regulated environment closely organising the expected behavior of each party.

Why not have a time-attack event where people are let onto the track with gaps, and classified by time to do full race distance? With defined passing zones (on straights) and no defending allowed? If you do anything to defend and make it difficult for someone, there is a risk they may trip over your car or something.
Of course, today this sounds like a bad faith argument (and it is), but what would you have thought if 10 years ago I told you someone would be penalised for the driver behind crashing in their dirty air? Would have felt equally ridiculous. So let's meet again in 10 years, after a few more deaths in the junior categories, and further over-regulation and deresponsabilising young drivers until the idea of racing side-by-side becomes taboo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ZeroX wrote:
Has there ever been an incident like this in the past where one driver has been penalised for what essentially amounts to causing an accident to another driver, but without it being the result of an actual collision?

It's not meant to be rhetorical like I'm trying to prove a point or trying to be an asshole, I am genuinely curious.

Well, I remember Alonso himself being penalized for disrupting Schumacher's quali lap in Monza in 2006. It was a very controversial penalty at the time with Alonso saying at the time he no longer considered F1 a sport.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
following the weird tumble by Russell is time for the stats

.3rd victory by Carlos Sainz
-only non Red Bull driver to win a race since Brazil 2022
-his first not starting from pole
-first from a driver coming back to a medical absence since Gerhard Berger at Hockenheim/1997

.244th win for Ferrari
-10th at Albert Park

.86th one-two finish for Ferrari
-first one in Albert Park for Ferrari since 2004
-only the 5th for the team in the previous 14 years

.14th podium finish for Lando Norris (breaks Nick Heidfeld record for podiums without a win)
-first podium for McLaren at Albert Park since 2014

.Max Verstappen retirement marks the end of 2 streaks
-9 win streaks (ties for 2nd behind his own record)
-43 race finishes on the points (2nd all time behind Hamilton with 48)

.Both Mercedes retirements end a 62 race streak (equals personal best to rank 3rd behind McLaren and Ferrari)
-first time the team failed to finish on the points since Azerbaijan/2021

.2nd time in history that either Verstappen and Hamilton failed to finish a race (first was Monza 2021)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, weird coincidence but, every time Sainz won Russell crashed, either on the first or on the last lap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:40 pm 

EAS wrote:
ZeroX wrote:

Well, I remember Alonso himself being penalized for disrupting Schumacher's quali lap in Monza in 2006. It was a very controversial penalty at the time with Alonso saying at the time he no longer considered F1 a sport.

Did Schumacher crash in this incident?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ZeroX wrote:
Did Schumacher crash in this incident?

I thought it was Massa that was "held". It was quite convenient given it was the race when Schumacher announced his first retirement

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

out of curiosity I went down to see the performance of top drivers coming back from injury

Lewis Hamilton from COVID in 2020 finished 3rd in Abu Dhabi

Montoya from shoulder injury in 2005 finished 7th in Barcelona

Ralf Schumacher from Indy crash in 2004 crashed out in Shanghai

Michael Schumacher from Silverstone crash in 1999 handed the victory to Irvine in Sepang

Berger from sinus surgery won in Hockenheim/1997

Lauda from hand injury DNF at Kyalami/1985

Lauda from Nurburgring injury in 1976 finished 4th in Monza

Stewart from wrist injury in 1968 finished 4th in Spa

Ickx from leg injury in 1968 DNF in Mexico

Pedro Rodríguez from Pergusa crash to finish 6th in Mexico/1967

so yeah this is quite a rare achievement if you consider only injury comebacks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More comebacks of drivers who had to miss races:

Fernando Alonso (broken ribs and a pneumothorax), 12th in Chinese GP 2016.
Fernando Alonso (concussion), retired in Malaysian GP 2015.
Kimi Räikkönen (back surgery), 7th in Australian GP 2014.
Sergio Perez (concussion), 11th in European GP 2011.
Felipe Massa (skull fracture and concussion), 2nd in Bahrain GP 2010.
Nick Heidfeld (injuries from testing and cycling accident), 12th in Bahrain GP 2006.
Heinz-Herald Frentzen (concussion), retired in European GP 2001.

It would be silly to think any kind of injury makes you better. Also, Schumi was able to do full race sims at Fiorano before Sepang, so that helped too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In 2010 Mark Webber raced the last four races of the season with a broken collarbone, which might have costed him the title. However the only people aware of his injury at the time were his physio and and F1's chief medical officer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another weird trivia. The winners of the last 21 races were:
Max Verstappen
Carlos Sainz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Speaking of weird coincidences...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
Speaking of weird coincidences...

I bet he wasn't saying that whilst Zhou was going into the fences head first

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:
In 2010 Mark Webber raced the last four races of the season with a broken collarbone, which might have costed him the title. However the only people aware of his injury at the time were his physio and and F1's chief medical officer.

Woah, new to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/ ... n-shoulder
Quote:
Mark Webber drove in the final four races of the Formula One season with a broken shoulder, the Red Bull driver has revealed in his new book.

Webber sustained the injury in a mountain bike accident, BBC Sport reports. He kept it secret from Christian Horner, the Red Bull team principal, and only told his physio Roger Cleary and F1's chief medical officer Gary Hartstein.

The Australian sustained the injury after the Singapore grand prix. He had returned to Australia and was out riding with a friend, who fell off his bike in front of Webber, who went over his handlebars trying to avoid him. The fracture was so fine that it could not be treated.

I'd hate being the friend that "cost" him the title. Also I don't get even going biking while on a championship-winning year. I keep the bike at home a couple months before any major pre-paid vacation, just in case :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Probably he couldn't even be doing that. I remember an interview with Bruno Senna in which he mentioned his contract with HRT had clauses preventing him from practicing several sports. Hiding his condition to his boss might have been a way to prevent himself from being caught in a contract breach.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
I bet he wasn't saying that whilst Zhou was going into the fences head first

well in that situation part of the crowds were trying to streak the track

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next