TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The plank stuff also explains why Max didn't walk off with it - the Red Bull was fairly jacked up compared to the other cars and it doesn't work as well if it isn't right on the ground (see: Singapore).

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plus, I always thought all cars are tested for plank wear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
when I heard there were DQ I thought it was able to appeal but plank violations are hard to come back

I was wondering that during the sessions seeing the bumpy profile and cars on the dirt side of the straights scraping their floors into the track

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
5. Sprint race experiments once again hit or miss

If Qatar's sprint race was a hit, largely thanks to Oscar Piastri's victory and a series of close racing made possible by the Qatar circuit, then Austin was a considerable miss. Beyond the first lap, there was little to report as a tepid encounter quickly fizzled out; Verstappen won at a canter, Hamilton and Leclerc followed, and Norris' pressure on the Ferrari driver ahead came too late into the race.

The success of sprints are proving to be increasingly track specific and, while Brazil marked itself as an early producer of good, shortened races, it has been a case of trial and error to determine further permanent sprint weekends. Silverstone and Monza had been the weaker options during the 2021 trials, the Red Bull Ring had given a good account in 2022 and 2023, and the expansion to six sprint events for 2023 offered opportunities to new circuits.

Baku was expected to produce a scintillating sprint thanks to its usual reputation for madcap affairs, but it yielded a surprisingly lifeless affair. Spa-Francorchamps' changeable conditions helped to deliver an unusual sprint result, and Qatar's series of switchback corners promoted close racing, but Austin was the most drab sprint so far across the three years. It was dull to the point where it almost undid Qatar's good work; if the Losail race showed why sprints had their place in F1, then Austin talked itself out of hosting shorter races again.

This writer admittedly believes that the Circuit of the Americas is the most over-heralded circuit on the calendar, and thus one shall be upfront with one's bias, but anyone who enjoyed last weekend's sprint can consider themselves very easily pleased.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For me, the sprint was wonderful, I was suffering from insonia, being awake for 36 hours. But 5min trying to watch the sprint and I fell asleep. No joke.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Juihi wrote:
Omega wrote:
Juihi wrote:

They shouldn't have even had a race at that track, that would've solved the issue, heck lets not even have any races at all!!! That way people won't have anything to complain about

Are you getting paid by the Pro Sprint Race Foundation or something?

No, it's just frustrating seeing everyone being so negative about any aspect of change in Formula One. Do people realise they are watching one of the most changeable sports in the world? This isn't football

I love a good whinge about dumb changes in sport. But when you rant about any change as terrible (as is the TBK way) you kinda suck the fun out of the legitimate well-justified rant.

Arguing that sprint races have the wrong format currently and could be a lot better: good whinge. Whining that anything other than the ol' FP1-FP3 is never going to work: bad whinge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sprint races add nothing. Its just a short race where most drivers dont give it all because of the current rules dont allow teams to have 2 T-cars and spare parts for another 4 cars in the truck. So no-one will go balls to the wall trying to squeeze out a good result in it.

They dont shake up the race on sunday either.
They tried this experiment and it is time to admit defeat and scrap them altogether.

Sure there have been a few decent ones but I also had decent moment with my ex-wife. Hell, even great moments. I had great moments with a former best friend. But I want neither back in my life. Same goes for sprint races.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sprint races could also work if they raced with old spec cars, without the rules that limit their performance, pratically a formula libre within F1 with sprint spec tires, sprint spec fuel, free for all give all you want

but since this is not possible, is time for the race stats

.50th win for Max Verstappen
-5th different driver to reach half century victories
-15th win in the season (equals all time record from 2022)
-30th win driving the car #1 (rank 2nd all time behind Schumacher)
-5th consecutive win in a race held in the USA (new record)

.12th podium finish for Lando Norris
-equals Stefan Johansson on number of podiums without a win (rank 2nd behind Heidfeld with 13)
-first podium for McLaren in Austin since the inaugural race at CotA

.1st points finish for Logan Sargeant
-351st different driver to score a point
-1st points finish for an american driver since Michael Andretti 3rd place finish at 1993 Italian GP

.1st fastest lap for Yuki Tsunoda
-138th different driver to score a fastest lap
-3rd different japanese driver to score a fastest lap (1st since Kamui Kobayashi at 2012 Chinese GP)

.100th GP start for Lando Norris and George Russell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
sprint races could also work if they raced with old spec cars, without the rules that limit their performance, pratically a formula libre within F1 with sprint spec tires, sprint spec fuel, free for all give all you want

I have said many times they should just do Porsche race. Just treat it as fun. It wouldn't devalue F1 at all and wouldn't mess up the schedule. Put it on Sunday 4 hours before F1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yeah like when BMW leased their Gr.4 M1 for a support race with the F1 grid

could be more fun if they had race cars like 500 Abarths or Clios

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
yeah like when BMW leased their Gr.4 M1 for a support race with the F1 grid

could be more fun if they had race cars like 500 Abarths or Clios

F1 drivers in Clios wouldn't be allowed, because it would completely upstage the main event :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Juihi wrote:
Omega wrote:

No, it's just frustrating seeing everyone being so negative about any aspect of change in Formula One. Do people realise they are watching one of the most changeable sports in the world? This isn't football

I love a good whinge about dumb changes in sport. But when you rant about any change as terrible (as is the TBK way) you kinda suck the fun out of the legitimate well-justified rant.

Arguing that sprint races have the wrong format currently and could be a lot better: good whinge. Whining that anything other than the ol' FP1-FP3 is never going to work: bad whinge.

It's the Sprint, the biggest fuck-you to tradition and long lasting die-hard fans. It doesn't need any reason. We can just say whatever we want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@
Juihi
Hold on my friend, don't have a belief so fragile that it ruins if you hear someone else opinion different than yours. Enjoy all you can. Been there, seeing all the negativity on Nascar side. From the moment I joined in 2004 until 2014, just building up. It sucks.

This track surface is awesome right not. And the esses and the second to last corners are as well. It's a shame that Tilke had to ruin again with awful pointy harpins at the end of the straight. Awful stadium section, awful clone of that great Turkey turn and most of all, tarmac run-offs.

But hey, it could have been much worse. Imagine if Hamilton or Norris won, only to be DQ.

Also, I'm having a jolly good time watching the only practice session and Friday qualifying. If only I didn't have to storm tru all other sessions to enjoy the weekend and avoid any spoilers, it wouldn't be that bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

- I never watch FP because 1. it's on Friday and I'm at work and 2. they don't broadcast it so I couldn't follow it if I wanted to. But FP should not be about providing entertainment for me (track visitors excluded), but about drivers getting to know the track and the car and be prepared for the race. With the sprint format, they don't get that time.

So the argument "I prefer a sprint race over a boring free practice" might apply to you, but absolutely not to me.

- I have a life, with other people involved. I love F1, but I can't always stay at home to watch each session. There used to be 16 race weekends per year, now there are 24. I can't justify to stay home for all of them. I also try to follow MotoGP, they now have sprint races on every race weekend so that is also double of the races and I'm losing interest because it's getting too much.
Things have improved since it's easier to watch something postponed, but it still is difficult to find a window to watch qualifying or race. I usually do this at night when the others have gone to bed. With the sprint races, there suddenly are not 2 but 4 sessions that are of "importance". I can't watch them all, and my FOMO hates that. So I try to watch qualy, can't give a shit about the Saturday morning qualy, and then watch a Sprint race that is most of the time not adding anything of value. It feels like a waste of my time. Yet I have to watch it before the main race the next day, because it is still a race and I want to see all the races. I have missed a total of 3 races since I started following F1 in 1996.

If you like sprint races, good for you. For me it means I have to find more time to watch it before spoilers ruin everything, time I already hardly have during normal race weekends. And it would be worth it if it had additional value, but in general, it hasn't.
The hate for sprint races is not something exclusive to TBK. It is quite worldwide. So it is certainly not that "TBK rants about any changes", but a matter of most of the world hates it, those who like it are allowed to but are the minority.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
The hate for sprint races is not something exclusive to TBK. It is quite worldwide. So it is certainly not that "TBK rants about any changes", but a matter of most of the world hates it, those who like it are allowed to but are the minority.

thats one of the things that piss me off. You see so much hate towards it but the top brass keeps claiming it is immensely popular. They blatantly lie about it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Juihi wrote:
Omega wrote:
Juihi wrote:

They shouldn't have even had a race at that track, that would've solved the issue, heck lets not even have any races at all!!! That way people won't have anything to complain about

And to add to this: F1 often changes, true that. Of those changes, a lot have been done to improve safety. Often, these had a negative effect on the racing and the excitement of them. So ofcourse, introducing new safety measures caused most fans to worry that these would yet again make the sport worse. The so called pussyfication of the sport.
But not a sane man would say, let´s go back to the 1990 level of safety because the races were better back then.

The sprint races are something else. Remove them again and nothing has happened. Same with the Sunday morning qualifying lap that was added to the Saturday time. Or the countdown clock of a couple of seasons ago. They tried it, it sucked, nobody liked it, they removed it again. Same should be done with the sprint races.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they want a pile up in the sprint so the main GP cannot be run due to lack of spares and then that'll be the day when they'll claim a massive success and change all GP to feature 3 separate sprints

in all seriousness, for next year they're already considering a separate sprint championship with reverse grid order. That might be the final straw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:42 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I cannot see any way in hell F1 teams will agree to reverse grids

Lets hope they're using the extreme sprint changes the way Max Mosley used to: "propose something out there so the teams compromise on something that's akin to the original change you want to push through"

"Ok fine, NO reverse grid sprint race championship but.........yes to Andretti instead? Ok?"

Would much rather 22 cars than Sprint races imo, even if I'm slightly more in favour of them than most

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
- I never watch FP because 1. it's on Friday and I'm at work and 2. they don't broadcast it so I couldn't follow it if I wanted to. But FP should not be about providing entertainment for me (track visitors excluded), but about drivers getting to know the track and the car and be prepared for the race. With the sprint format, they don't get that time.

So the argument "I prefer a sprint race over a boring free practice" might apply to you, but absolutely not to me.

- I have a life, with other people involved. I love F1, but I can't always stay at home to watch each session. There used to be 16 race weekends per year, now there are 24. I can't justify to stay home for all of them. I also try to follow MotoGP, they now have sprint races on every race weekend so that is also double of the races and I'm losing interest because it's getting too much.
Things have improved since it's easier to watch something postponed, but it still is difficult to find a window to watch qualifying or race. I usually do this at night when the others have gone to bed. With the sprint races, there suddenly are not 2 but 4 sessions that are of "importance". I can't watch them all, and my FOMO hates that. So I try to watch qualy, can't give a shit about the Saturday morning qualy, and then watch a Sprint race that is most of the time not adding anything of value. It feels like a waste of my time. Yet I have to watch it before the main race the next day, because it is still a race and I want to see all the races. I have missed a total of 3 races since I started following F1 in 1996.

If you like sprint races, good for you. For me it means I have to find more time to watch it before spoilers ruin everything, time I already hardly have during normal race weekends. And it would be worth it if it had additional value, but in general, it hasn't.

I'm still trying to understand this. You prefer practice sessions (that you've just said you don't watch) to a sprint race, because 1) drivers need practice time, and 2) your FOMO conflicting with your busy Saturday schedule.

So 1) why do you care about drivers getting more practice time that you don't care to watch, does it impact your enjoyment of the race? I would have thought less practice time would make the race less predictable. And 2) can't you just ignore the Saturday sprints and get on with your life? As the sprint structure (in both MotoGP and F1) has no direct influence on the GP or the outcome of the weekend, other than points.

It's true the Saturday sprint can make Sunday more predictable as teams essentially get a race stint simulation in and learn more about what the tyres will do, but there are solutions to this through changes in sprint format, such as reverse grid or mandated tyre choice. Yelling to drop sprint events entirely when F1 hasn't really tried anything to liven them up, and race weekends weren't exactly more entertaining before sprints, just smells of anti-change.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Big yikes

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next