TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:49 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

I tuned-in to a Grand Prix and a NASCAR race broke out. Total farce. Pinnacle of motorsport, apparently...

On a more positive note, Jackie Stewart was wearing a nice jacket.

The last red flag should have ended the race. There was no point of waiting for half an hour, or whatever it was, just to do one lap with no possibility to overtake. I find the British rules for race-ending red flags to be the best: The order reverts to that of the last completed lap with any cars not running at the time of the red flag removed from the result. This is fair because it prevents people from deliberately causing a red to gain an advantage, before anyone tries to argue that it isn't.

As for the case of free pit stops under red, no work should be allowed to be performed on the cars (I'd allow cooling fans though). Any car which receives service should be sent to the back of the queue and also be made to serve a stop-go penalty. This will negate any track position advantage gained on the restart as well as forcing them to lose time as if they had actually pitted.

And get rid of the standing starts too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It baffled me that every leaf that falls on the asfalt triggers a VSC, SC or red flag within seconds, but a tyre in the middle of the track and the car on another part of track, that took a minute.

Last edited by Omega on Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That was a NASCAR-esque shitshow ending.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, shitshow is the right word. From the first red-flag to the last restart. Never since 2005 left me feeling so shitty after watching a race as this one. So much frustration, what a way to ruin a perfectly good grand prix.

Never stopped watching a race, and for this one, I did with great pleasure. Just after that first red-flag restart, when I saw everyone on hard tyres. Came back just to see the SC being called for a wheel on the track. The shitshow started again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Red Flag rules, I feel like the US style of hands off is the best. Growing up and watching NASCAR and IndyCar, it always feels weird watching them work on the cars during a stoppage.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, F1 has it backwards. Can work on car under red, can't rejoin the race with outside assistance. That needs changing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:06 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
I'd say in certain circumstances, letting them change tyres as a precaution is needed, but only to the same compound. That way earlier in the race they're still going to need to change compounds during the race. Last thing we want is a puncture leading to a big crash because they chose track position having run through a debris field.

Seeing the replays and seeing the metal shards go everywhere it was understandable, they just restarted the race the wrong way.

First red could have been done under SC easy.

I forget if it was Ted or Karun who explained this, but they can't even do that because, in the event of a late race red flag when the teams have run through their strategy, they just won't have a set of whatever compound they need to change onto left, unless it's a really worn set from practice or qualy which also has its own safety implications

Since it's a safety ruling to allow teams to deal with tyres that may have trawled through the accident and picked up debris, it's not going to change because safety comes first, no matter how it fucks up the "show"
And short of the race director coming down and visually inspecting each set of tyres to decide if they can be changed or not due to debris, I really don't know what can be done
It's a quirk of the rules for when Red Flags were only used once every season or less when there was a genuine, track blocking accident with Debris all over the track like Hockenheim 2001, but still applies in this era of Red flags for an ant sneeze on track or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
Yeah, shitshow is the right word. From the first red-flag to the last restart. Never since 2005 left me feeling so shitty after watching a race as this one. So much frustration, what a way to ruin a perfectly good grand prix.

Never stopped watching a race, and for this one, I did with great pleasure. Just after that first red-flag restart, when I saw everyone on hard tyres. Came back just to see the SC being called for a wheel on the track. The shitshow started again.

Correction: 2005 USA start still was amuzing in a way, and very entertaining to read all the news leading up to the race start. So yeah, this felt worse than 2005 USA for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm kind of ok with the red flags as they do minimise racing lost to what would otherwise be quite lengthy SC periods, especially as F1 doesn't add on any laps for the SC.

What doesn't make sense to me is doing standing starts late in the race - perhaps they need to do standing starts for red flags in the first half of the race and rolling in the second?

And clearly they need a fair way of declaring the result for a red flag with only a lap to go, as that last 30 min was an embarrassment for what's meant to be the pinnacle of Motorsport.

Overall a much better race that the first two, take away the red flag controversy and it would have been a 6-7/10 race

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So glad I decided going to sleep at lap 25. It was 3:00 AM and two extra hours of sleep were totally worth it. I'd be twice angrier if I stayed up to watch that shitshow.

Red flags always meant serious safety concerns and now F1 has managed to empty their meaning. Even worse, they're being used to provide extra standing starts which reduces the safety of drivers. And the final competitive start was an embarrasment. What a poor display of driving standards.

That was a sad day. Now I am really thinking twice before staying up for the next late race.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:35 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 24a2d469b4

Team members can't climb the fence at the end of the race, but supporters can :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
So the start to McLaren's year has been disastrous. And after three races they are 5th in the constructors. I'd argue Alpine's start has been even worse considering all the talk they were doing in the off season.

You can't really use constructors points after 3 races to establish a pecking order in a midfield this tight. Mclaren has been shit but got extremely lucky this race, Alpine has been surprisingly strong but a mixture of unlucky and incompetent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
webbsy wrote:
So the start to McLaren's year has been disastrous. And after three races they are 5th in the constructors. I'd argue Alpine's start has been even worse considering all the talk they were doing in the off season.

You can't really use constructors points after 3 races to establish a pecking order in a midfield this tight. Mclaren has been shit but got extremely lucky this race, Alpine has been surprisingly strong but a mixture of unlucky and incompetent.

Yeah I know that, I'm just saying that with all the ink used talking about how crap they are, they are still ahead of Alpine, which I find amusing, considering how much self congratulating Alpine were doing at the start of the year. I fully expect Alpine to get into the swing of things and be much further up.....unless their drivers keep taking each other out when running in the points.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:47 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/fans-invade-australian-grand-prix-track-during-race-metres-from-disaster/news-story/8f27432449ec5962627a1d24a2d469b4

Team members can't climb the fence at the end of the race, but supporters can :lol:

I just read as well a patron got minor injuries when debris from Magnussen's car hitting the wall went through the fence and cut his arm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Gaara wrote:
I'd say in certain circumstances, letting them change tyres as a precaution is needed, but only to the same compound. That way earlier in the race they're still going to need to change compounds during the race. Last thing we want is a puncture leading to a big crash because they chose track position having run through a debris field.

Seeing the replays and seeing the metal shards go everywhere it was understandable, they just restarted the race the wrong way.

I forget if it was Ted or Karun who explained this, but they can't even do that because, in the event of a late race red flag when the teams have run through their strategy, they just won't have a set of whatever compound they need to change onto left, unless it's a really worn set from practice or qualy which also has its own safety implications

Since it's a safety ruling to allow teams to deal with tyres that may have trawled through the accident and picked up debris, it's not going to change because safety comes first, no matter how it fucks up the "show"
And short of the race director coming down and visually inspecting each set of tyres to decide if they can be changed or not due to debris, I really don't know what can be done
It's a quirk of the rules for when Red Flags were only used once every season or less when there was a genuine, track blocking accident with Debris all over the track like Hockenheim 2001, but still applies in this era of Red flags for an ant sneeze on track or whatever.

My question is, why does the FIA think they need rules to solve this problem? In every other series if you catch debris from an accident in front and it damages your car or tyres, that's just bad luck and you need to make a call to pit and avoid an unsafe situation. Why do major rules with major flaws need to be invented to make teams do something that should be left to their best judgement?

IMO a number of yesterday's issues can be traced back to flawed rules invented to solve problems that maybe didn't need solving. Now watch the FIA invent a new set of flawed rules in reaction to this race.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Gaara wrote:

My question is, why does the FIA think they need rules to solve this problem? In every other series if you catch debris from an accident in front and it damages your car or tyres, that's just bad luck and you need to make a call to pit and avoid an unsafe situation. Why do major rules with major flaws need to be invented to make teams do something that should be left to their best judgement?

IMO a number of yesterday's issues can be traced back to flawed rules invented to solve problems that maybe didn't need solving. Now watch the FIA invent a new set of flawed rules in reaction to this race.

Did anybody pick up a puncture and then crash in this sort of scenario in the last few years? This would seem like the most logical reason for this to be a 'safety' rule

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My fix for the Red Flag tyre issue? Teams have to allocate which tyres they will use for a restart before each race....and they HAVE to change to those tyres regardless of what stage of the race it is and how well they are going on the current tyres. Unless of course it is wet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is so simple! You change the car, you go to the back. Free tyre changes are the worst. Got damage? Work on the car for as long you need, but you start from the back.
Red flag should have parc ferme rules, with the exception of cooling the car, umbrella if it rains and support of the driver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
my guess is that Brian Barnhart is using someone's identity to act in the stewards office

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
It is so simple! You change the car, you go to the back. Free tyre changes are the worst. Got damage? Work on the car for as long you need, but you start from the back.
Red flag should have parc ferme rules, with the exception of cooling the car, umbrella if it rains and support of the driver.

This is the sort of common-sense solution that seems so obviously right until you remember F1 teams are stupid and one of them is guaranteed to send a driver out on damaged tyres to avoid losing position.

Remember, this is the sport where teams got given very specific tyre pressure ranges by Pirelli, purposely ran the tyres outside the specs, then bitched to everyone about Pirelli when the tyres failed.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next