TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1298 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1965 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

micha wrote:
So here are my 2023 bold predictions

- at least one of the AT drivers will be kicked out before the end of the season
- a driver a good amount of people care about will retire at the end of 2023.
- Lance Stroll will return too soon, thinking he is god, and permanently damages his wrist(s)
- Another team will change hands
- Another team will exceed the budget cap but much much more significant than RBR did.

I love doing bold outlandish predictions

- Ricciardo will be back on the grid at some stage this year, either with RBR or AT
- Tsunoda or Zhou dropped
- Bottas will win a race for Sauber
- Mercedes go full Man City and found of financially cheating badly resulting in
- Hamilton to retire at years end
- Alonso also to retire as Aston have looked after Stroll instead of him
- Barcelona has a wet race.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:33 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

-Alonso and Max to collide at some point (The hate will be delicious)
-Sainz to outperform Leclerc
-Norris to be announced as Lewis' replacement at years end
-Liam Lawson to be driving one of the 4 Red Bull cars by years end
-Perez gets pissed off with number 2 status, ignores team orders, is fired

Anyway, back to the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

- James Key leaves Mclaren by mid year
- Leclerc breaks Ferrari contract early, moves to Merc for 2024 to replace retiring Lewis
- Teams successfully triple entry fee, Andretti buys AT
- Perez wins home race, announces retirement, Ric takes his seat for '24
- Christian and Gerry split

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
JJ wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
Spain is definitely ditching the final chicane, at last.

Wonderful. A long overdue change. It's not like the corner was ever more dangerous than Blanchimont, 130R, Parabolica, Copse, Sochi's Turn 3 or any corner at Jeddah.

Oddly enough, it seems that the only thing needed for homologation was to install new TecPro barriers. But this article from 2007 says that Barcelona had already TecPro installed when the new chicane was introduced. So I don't know why it took them 16 years to realize that the chicane wasn't needed in the first place.

I don't think it was ever about safety was it? People were just sick of the downforce wash generated by the final corner not letting the cars follow close enough on the straight to make a pass.

As ever, they changed the track instead of changing the cars.

These cars will probably do better through there, but it's still a shit track.

It was mainly about creating better racing (the irony), though Kimi's 2005 testing accident was also one of the reasons given for changing the track.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They changed the track for that? FFS.

I can understand modifying it after what happened in MotoGP, but they changed it way before that happened.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Was it that corner where Badoer cleared the barriers in testing? (May have been the first corner; can't find out much information about it).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
my bold predictions

-Leclerc and Hamilton swtich sides and Lewis pisses italians off 10 seconds after signing the contract
-Alonso involves himself into another big crash mid season (perhaps Silverstone or RB Ring) and call it quits opening for Drugovich who cannot withstand Strulovichs and is fired for Vandoorne who also can't cope with the canadians and quits at the end of the season
-Alpha Tauri is sold to some shady characters who look into sportswashing/money laundering with the F1 operation
-Haas will be on the podium by the end of the european leg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Was it that corner where Badoer cleared the barriers in testing? (May have been the first corner; can't find out much information about it).

That happened on the main straight.
Quote:
Badoer ruled out of action for two weeks
FERRARI confirmed on Monday night that test driver Luca Badoer will be forced out of action for two weeks following his horror crash in testing at the Circuit de Catalunya on Sunday.

The Italian lost a wheel on the main straight of the Spanish circuit and flipped over a tire barrier and will now be out of action for 14 days because of neck injuries.

Badoer spent Sunday night in the Catalunya General Hospital before being released on Monday morning. He was flown to Treviso, Italy, and underwent further tests at a hospital in Montebelluna.

Badoer will wear a neck brace to support his minor injuries and will rest at home for two weeks while Michael Schumacher takes over testing duties in Barcelona on Tuesday.

"Luca Badoer was released from the Catalunya General Hospital this morning," a Ferrari statement read. "He was admitted to hospital in Montebelluna, where he underwent further tests which confirmed there were no complications with his condition.

"He has been fitted with a neck support because of the whiplash effect of the accident. He has been told to rest for two weeks and was able to return home."

https://www.grandprix.com/news/badoer-r ... weeks.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

News on the F1TV team: Alex Jacques returns full-time as lead commentator, with Palmer and Hinchcliffe doing colour. Coulthard will do some guest appearances as well.
Sam Collins stays as technical expert and Buxton will lead the presenting team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:01 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

amq55 wrote:
News on the F1TV team: Alex Jacques returns full-time as lead commentator, with Palmer and Hinchcliffe doing colour. Coulthard will do some guest appearances as well.

Huh, so either Channel 4 is using F1TV's commentary feed, or Ben Edwards is back? :?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:

That happened on the main straight.
Quote:
Badoer ruled out of action for two weeks
FERRARI confirmed on Monday night that test driver Luca Badoer will be forced out of action for two weeks following his horror crash in testing at the Circuit de Catalunya on Sunday.

The Italian lost a wheel on the main straight of the Spanish circuit and flipped over a tire barrier and will now be out of action for 14 days because of neck injuries.

Badoer spent Sunday night in the Catalunya General Hospital before being released on Monday morning. He was flown to Treviso, Italy, and underwent further tests at a hospital in Montebelluna.

Badoer will wear a neck brace to support his minor injuries and will rest at home for two weeks while Michael Schumacher takes over testing duties in Barcelona on Tuesday.

"Luca Badoer was released from the Catalunya General Hospital this morning," a Ferrari statement read. "He was admitted to hospital in Montebelluna, where he underwent further tests which confirmed there were no complications with his condition.

"He has been fitted with a neck support because of the whiplash effect of the accident. He has been told to rest for two weeks and was able to return home."

https://www.grandprix.com/news/badoer-r ... weeks.html

I'm fairly sure that they introduced the chicane because they couldn't do anything about the barrier or its angle, and it had a tendency to spit cars back into the track. The next best solution was to reduce the entry speed and thus the energy of any crash.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:01 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

I'm very glad Will Buxton once again explained the concept of qualifying, in the first episode of the newest season of Drive to Survive. Season five could have been very confusing if not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

EsbenT wrote:
I'm very glad Will Buxton once again explained the concept of qualifying, in the first episode of the newest season of Drive to Survive. Season five could have been very confusing if not.

I did giggle at this, but recently, I had someone who doesn't follow motorsport say "Why does the fastest car start at the front? Why does the team that needs the least advantage to win the race get given the biggest advantage in qualifying" now I question how dumb the sport we follow can be.

#reversegridracesplease

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:27 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
EsbenT wrote:

I did giggle at this, but recently, I had someone who doesn't follow motorsport say "Why does the fastest car start at the front? Why does the team that needs the least advantage to win the race get given the biggest advantage in qualifying" now I question how dumb the sport we follow can be.

#reversegridracesplease

Yeah when you think about it qualifying is an archaic format from the earliest days of the sport

Back then, starting in whatever random order (whoever registered with the organisers first, or something?) was dangerous as you had the fast cars trying to make their way past 2 second a lap slower cars as they dealt with a 5 second a lap slower car, and accidents were more common in an era where if you crashed, you died.

Putting the fast cars in front at least meant a few laps of field spread before they had to deal with lapping slower cars....

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
EsbenT wrote:

#reversegridracesplease

Yeah when you think about it qualifying is an archaic format from the earliest days of the sport

Back then, starting in whatever random order (whoever registered with the organisers first, or something?) was dangerous as you had the fast cars trying to make their way past 2 second a lap slower cars as they dealt with a 5 second a lap slower car, and accidents were more common in an era where if you crashed, you died.

Putting the fast cars in front at least meant a few laps of field spread before they had to deal with lapping slower cars....

Allegedly, F1 used essentially the same qualifying rules from 1950 - 1996, but I would support a pre-1950 method of the drivers having to get to the clerk of the course on a Friday morning with a correctly-completed application form :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

#reversegridracesplease

Allegedly, F1 used essentially the same qualifying rules from 1950 - 1996, but I would support a pre-1950 method of the drivers having to get to the clerk of the course on a Friday morning with a correctly-completed application form :lol:

Pretty sure that until like the 1980s or so, every session was qualifying practice, IE the fastest time across any of the....4 or 5 sessions would get you pole

Then at some point they formalised it to practice in the mornings and a qualifying session at the best time of the day on both days.

Been reading a lot of Denis Jenkinson's weekend reports for Motorsport Magazine across the off season, and despite his wild tangents against any kind of unionism and thatcherite politics inserted to every 12th edition, they're a great read to give you perspective on what REALLY happened on a race weekend (as opposed to the "follow the leader" TV broadcasts of the time that were race only)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tracks should have a 200 meter wide main straight, where all cars can start side by side, thus making it fair for everyone. First corner could become interesting tho' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
Tracks should have a 200 meter wide main straight, where all cars can start side by side, thus making it fair for everyone. First corner could become interesting tho' :lol:

They do this in Motocross, but even then you have qualifying to see who gets to start most to the side of the first corner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
that's why we have sprint races now, so cars could fight to a good grid spot*

*commentary filled with sacrcasm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
amq55 wrote:

Huh, so either Channel 4 is using F1TV's commentary feed, or Ben Edwards is back? :?

Sounds like it'll be Channel 4 using the F1TV feed. Also the F1TV commentary will be used for race highlight videos on the F1 Youtube channel this year, having previously used Sky. Less Crofty and more Jacques is always a good thing

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1298 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1965 Next