TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 25 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:55 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Aha! i now understand why Bottas let the both mercedes pass :lol:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/co ... urce=share

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:00 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

trout wrote:
micha wrote:
Karan wrote:
So what exactly was Hamilton upset with the team about with regards to his strategy? I guess the 'we win and lose as a team' mantra isn't applicable this season :(

Nor was it last year. Enough times where he slammed their decision if it didn’t work out.

hamilton's one weakness is that he lets the team dictate the strategy without hardly ever calling an audible. so tell me, when "strategy" costs him places (especially to his teammate) you just expect him not to talk to his team about it? working together with other people requires communication, right? especially when trying to work through problems?

and sure, it seems more like shit luck thats shafted lewis in saudi arabia, melbourne and miami. imola he just sucked, and the only fortune he's had was in bahrain when the redbulls dnf'd lewis onto the podium. but if it was me i would certainly start wondering what was going on with that kind of consistent bad luck. lewis drove really strong races in saudi arabia and melbourne, and a decent race in miami but still somehow ended up behind russell because of ill-timed cautions

I think it's a Mercedes weakness all told that they have such a team mantra that when it comes to strategy they bat it back and forth between asking the driver his opinion, asking the cheif mechanic and a strategist and then weighing up if it's fair between both their drivers and not showing too much favouritism to one over the other.
All this takes time, as seen yesterday when by the time they'd made the (fairly obvious) decision to pit for softs, it was too late
Saying that, they would've lost to George's fluke whatever happened (And once again the race director seemingly waiting for him to make a pitstop before changing the VSC to SC, when everyone around could see that was obviously going to be a SC immediately)
and Ocon didn't exactly burn through the pack on his softs either, so it might not have changed the final result much at all
Awaiting Nico Rosberg's take that this is all somehow Lewis' fault so he can get a few more thousand views on his various channels....

I echo most of the comments here, the SC saved it from being a 2/10 race to being a 4/10 race, just enough action in the last quarter to make it worth watching
Vettel is in his final season, no question now. What was that, 2 spins and the contact with Mick? (one was off camera though, he might've done a Bottas and just ran wide a bit but still...mistake after mistake)

Track needs changes for next year though, especially the horrible chicane under the bridge that everyone seems to hate unilaterally
Maybe not use an all-american company for the tarmac too, they can boast about it being all American, but when the track starts coming up before F1 cars have even run on it? Maybe there's something to be said for international co-operation after all...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

without a SC, Lewis most likely would have finished ahead of Russell.
Thats the whole point with strategy. It's mostly guesstimates. If one thing goes different, the result will be different.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
codename_47 wrote:
Maybe not use an all-american company for the tarmac too, they can boast about it being all American, but when the track starts coming up before F1 cars have even run on it? Maybe there's something to be said for international co-operation after all...

they could claim the cars weren't all american or weren't using goodyears/firestones, thus being incompatible to the freedom tarmac™

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

they could claim the cars weren't all american or weren't using goodyears/firestones, thus being incompatible to the freedom tarmac™

I hate to sound like I'm knocking the USA (there's plenty of more legitimate reasons!), but I get the impression that companies and people skilled in laying roads have suffered from chronic underfunding for decades. That could be the impression from public roads, of course...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Building a track on essentially a sandy swamp is always going to create settlement issues

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:39 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

they could claim the cars weren't all american or weren't using goodyears/firestones, thus being incompatible to the freedom tarmac

I hate to sound like I'm knocking the USA (there's plenty of more legitimate reasons!), but I get the impression that companies and people skilled in laying roads have suffered from chronic underfunding for decades. That could be the impression from public roads, of course...
You are not incorrect in your assessment.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Juihi wrote:
Building a track on essentially a sandy swamp is always going to create settlement issues

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Despite charging $13k to get into the Paddock Club, and other tickets not being that much cheaper, the promoters still lost money.

Heaven only knows how they expect to make a profit next year now that they've pissed off all the marks who paid the $13k.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
Heaven only knows how they expect to make a profit next year now that they've pissed off all the marks who paid the $13k.

Maybe for charging $15k next year :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

or charging more from Crypto for the naming rights

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
Despite charging $13k to get into the Paddock Club, and other tickets not being that much cheaper, the promoters still lost money.

I guess investing in that laughable fake marina and 'beach resort' wasn't such a good idea after all... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I must be the minority race fan... When I go to the track I give zero fucks about all that garbage. All I want is a good track and adequate paths to walk the circuit. It helps if the grass is mowed and it look nice, but all that other bullshit can stuff it.

Must be why I love Lime Rock and Watkins. All that junk is easy to bypass.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:
I must be the minority race fan... When I go to the track I give zero fucks about all that garbage. All I want is a good track and adequate paths to walk the circuit. It helps if the grass is mowed and it look nice, but all that other bullshit can stuff it.

Must be why I love Lime Rock and Watkins. All that junk is easy to bypass.

No, that sounds distinctly normal. I don't know how much worse things have gotten since my only GP visit (Silverstone 2004), but at that time it was at least easy enough to avoid all of the tacked-on entertainment and VIP areas and just enjoy the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
trout wrote:
micha wrote:

Nor was it last year. Enough times where he slammed their decision if it didn’t work out.

hamilton's one weakness is that he lets the team dictate the strategy without hardly ever calling an audible. so tell me, when "strategy" costs him places (especially to his teammate) you just expect him not to talk to his team about it? working together with other people requires communication, right? especially when trying to work through problems?

and sure, it seems more like shit luck thats shafted lewis in saudi arabia, melbourne and miami. imola he just sucked, and the only fortune he's had was in bahrain when the redbulls dnf'd lewis onto the podium. but if it was me i would certainly start wondering what was going on with that kind of consistent bad luck. lewis drove really strong races in saudi arabia and melbourne, and a decent race in miami but still somehow ended up behind russell because of ill-timed cautions

I think it's a Mercedes weakness all told that they have such a team mantra that when it comes to strategy they bat it back and forth between asking the driver his opinion, asking the cheif mechanic and a strategist and then weighing up if it's fair between both their drivers and not showing too much favouritism to one over the other.
All this takes time, as seen yesterday when by the time they'd made the (fairly obvious) decision to pit for softs, it was too late
Saying that, they would've lost to George's fluke whatever happened (And once again the race director seemingly waiting for him to make a pitstop before changing the VSC to SC, when everyone around could see that was obviously going to be a SC immediately)
and Ocon didn't exactly burn through the pack on his softs either, so it might not have changed the final result much at all
Awaiting Nico Rosberg's take that this is all somehow Lewis' fault so he can get a few more thousand views on his various channels....

I echo most of the comments here, the SC saved it from being a 2/10 race to being a 4/10 race, just enough action in the last quarter to make it worth watching
Vettel is in his final season, no question now. What was that, 2 spins and the contact with Mick? (one was off camera though, he might've done a Bottas and just ran wide a bit but still...mistake after mistake)

Track needs changes for next year though, especially the horrible chicane under the bridge that everyone seems to hate unilaterally

After Turkey last year, it was clear that Hamilton's word was final, now it's biting him in the butt and he still wants to blame everyone else.

Darn fast driver but this is why I don't rate him among the very best. Drivers like Lauda, Prost etc made all the strategy decisions on the run.

Back in the day, Hamilton would have been a fast midfielder at the front occasionally, until he wrecked his tyres or ran out of fuel, he just ain't smart enough, and is a driver who is wholly dependent on great team management.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hamilton questions the team strategy during about each race, and at the same time says he doesn´t want to make the decisions.

He also has had a lot of luck in previous seasons with SC and VSC on moments that his rivals had just pitted. He has benefited a lot more than he lost. This season he is losing some, that´s life.

He was always the first one to point out what a great team he had, everything for the team. Now he lost a position but to his teammate, so the amount of points for Mercedes stayed the same. Shouldn´t he be happy?

Russell is very consistent and is well ahead in the points. When will we first hear the magic words "Lewis, it´s James"?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess the team got scarred from that time when their blunders denied a good victory for Russell

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hamilton really got into some people's heads. He was not relevant in this race, and certainly has no relevance in this championship, yet is still the topic of some mad obsessions :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Hamilton really got into some people's heads. He was not relevant in this race, and certainly has no relevance in this championship, yet is still the topic of some mad obsessions :lol:

That's because he was THE dominant factor in the last 8 seasons and people got really tired of him. So now that he's struggeling, it is immensly fun to watch. The trend of the last years, I don't care who wins as long as Mercedes loses, has grown a lot last year and is continuing to grow.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:52 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Brundle's iconic Miami Gridwalk.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24 25 Next