TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

16-18 races was the sweet spot.

Now they want 23 and sprint races at all of them. And if we dont stop them we'll be getting super-sprint races to decide the grid for the sprint race to decide the grid for the race......

I have given them an idea haven't I? :o

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:10 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

I'd be all for more races, if they were good. If the 24th race is on a Tilkedrome or another parking lot or any track that is already on the calendar, I don't need it.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only thing stopping them is that social media would start bashing sprint races, because that's the audience they listen for opinions nowadays. Trouble is, you can always cherry-pick positive messages even if they represent only 0,1% of the overall opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Sprint races are something built for the netflix audience who has short attention span (they watch a season of those shows and when you ask what happened they don't know anything because they weren't paying attention)

so why not leave the sprint races to be produced by netflix, using older cars, with hired actors playing the drivers, set the ECU to not pass the 5th gear so speeds will be electronically limited and then speed up on post production just like that Jackie Chan racing movie that is a 90 minute Mitsubishi ad. And to add drama, simply put some props and visual effects borrowed from Michael Bay

SUCCESS :D

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

…and the best bit is the average Netflix viewer wouldn’t notice the change either.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

more races could potentially lower ticket prices. i'm not opposed as long as they figure out ways to alleviate the stressors it inflicts upon the crew members

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

trout wrote:
more races could potentially lower ticket prices.

Miami proved that that statement is rubbish

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ticket prices won't go down at the regular tracks - they will simply repeat the same mistakes that NASCAR made (and refuses to accept said lessons) in the 2000's/2010's.

Once demand goes down when the bubble bursts, they will just cut grandstand capacity; add more hospitality suites and make the tickets even more expensive (where have I seen that before :whistling: )

Liberty does not care about the average hardcore fan - reminder this is the same company that tried selling burger & replica World Series ring combos for $151 for the Atlanta Braves home opener this year

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:37 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

LucasWheldon wrote:
Sprint races are something built for the netflix audience who has short attention span (they watch a season of those shows and when you ask what happened they don't know anything because they weren't paying attention)

so why not leave the sprint races to be produced by netflix, using older cars, with hired actors playing the drivers, set the ECU to not pass the 5th gear so speeds will be electronically limited and then speed up on post production just like that Jackie Chan racing movie that is a 90 minute Mitsubishi ad. And to add drama, simply put some props and visual effects borrowed from Michael Bay

SUCCESS :D

Man, I had some nostalgia reading this, I've seen this sorta looking down at the next generation since before I was even in the next generation. I think it was the "MTV Generation" back then, though there may have been some old school people still saying the "16-bit generation"
Apparently people's attention spans have been shortening since the days of sonic the hedgehog if you believe this kind of thing, which means the generation now must have....erm.....er, what was I saying?

Besides, the netflix generation is more likely to want to binge watch things and get addicted to the latest dramas without being able to stop, so if F1 were to reflect this, I'd expect tem to start a race on friday evening and not wave the chequered flag until just before work on Monday Morning...that's the netflix generation

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
trout wrote:
more races could potentially lower ticket prices.

Miami proved that that statement is rubbish

hence "potentially"

having 3 events in the us creates less pressure for austin to appeal to the same customer base as miami or vegas.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 am 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

I'm pretty sure the Netflix F1 bubble will burst sooner or later and Liberty will either have to appease the hardcore fans again or simply sells its shares once they realize the attention among those mythical new fans is heading for the exit door.

Having more races in urban metropolitan cities indicates they want to cash in and the ticket prices will only go up again. Some people say this is the future of F1? Yawn. The same mirage was sold when Segway was supposed to "revolutionize" public transport. How did that work out? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:24 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Say it once, say it 1000 times.

F1 needs a breakaway series.

Competition will do it a world of good.

It wouldn't require much to mass produce a 10-15 year old Formula 1 car and get 10-15 tracks outside of the calendar to run.

Imagine if a Saudi backed group (like whats appening with the PGA/ Golf World Tour) came in with an endless budget.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 am 

peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
Say it once, say it 1000 times.

F1 needs a breakaway series.

Competition will do it a world of good.

It wouldn't require much to mass produce a 10-15 year old Formula 1 car and get 10-15 tracks outside of the calendar to run.

Imagine if a Saudi backed group (like whats appening with the PGA/ Golf World Tour) came in with an endless budget.

Given how expensive F1 cars are, that breakaway series would be filled with pay drivers to say the very least. Which manufacturer would even enter a Saudi-backed series? The backlash could affect the sales in so-called democratic areas of the world. Modern F1 has basically killed off all the independent constructors who can compete with the big factory teams anyway. The likes of Fernandez or Branson quickly lost interest in F1 and they wouldn't run it back even if they could win IMO.

It's one thing to push that idea in golf where selling clubs is pretty one-dimensional and doesn't affect any wider part of business, moreover supporting that Saudi league are 40+ over-the-hill players. You're basically calling for a Aurora F1 rebirth but with Saudi money? Hmm... I don't see this concept lasting more than 3-4 years at best even if it happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

oh yeah breakaway..... how did that work out for Indycar again?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:45 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Vassago wrote:
Given how expensive F1 cars are, that breakaway series would be filled with pay drivers to say the very least.

A spec series based on an old F1 car would be barely more expensive than F2.

Vassago wrote:
Which manufacturer would even enter a Saudi-backed series?

I said the Saudi money but lets say for argument sake the money came from any old congolmerate or billionaire and disregard sports washing.

Vassago wrote:
It's one thing to push that idea in golf where selling clubs is pretty one-dimensional and doesn't affect any wider part of business, moreover supporting that Saudi league are 40+ over-the-hill players. You're basically calling for a Aurora F1 rebirth but with Saudi money? Hmm... I don't see this concept lasting more than 3-4 years at best even if it happens.

Die hard fans want F1 to go back to it's traditional roots of loud cars and simple machinery. A breakaway is the only way it's ever going to happen.

Even if it lasts 3-4 years it will at least give F1 something to think about, it's done half well.

micha wrote:

Indycar came out of it pretty well in the end didn't it?

Picture this

A spec grand prix series using an early 00's F1 car with a spec V10 or V12 engine.
Fill the grid with the talent on the fringe of F1, both new and old.
Put it on race tracks with heritage not on the F1 calendar. Donington, Watkins Glen, Adelaide, Fuji, could name 50 half decent race tracks who don't have an F1 race.

Could go on for ages but 95% of TBK'ers would kill for something like that.

EDIT: I can't quote for shit

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the main problem with breakaway series is that will flop. audiences simply doesn't care

is pretty much the same issue with enthusiast cars. Manufacturers says they'll not make a sportier version of their cars, enthusiasts went full rage on the internet claiming "OH BUT SUBARU IS NOT LIKE IT WAS, JUST MAKING SHOPPING SUVS", then they built a new Impreza WRX that it is still a bit more expensive while the regular version get stuck at the showrooms because if nobody cares for the 2 liter version of a regular 5 door hatch, who would buy the one with AWD biturbo 2.5 version?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:10 pm 

I am an old school fan but even I lost any hope for Adelaide or Watkins Glen doing F1 again (I'd rather see F1 @ Road America but the neccessary upgrades would probably kill that venue). In modern times when drivers bitch about safety all the time those tracks wouldn't work anymore. 10 years old single spec series. I'm unsure 95% TBK would actually support that.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Picture this

A spec grand prix series using an early 00's F1 car with a spec V10 or V12 engine.
Fill the grid with the talent on the fringe of F1, both new and old.
Put it on race tracks with heritage not on the F1 calendar. Donington, Watkins Glen, Adelaide, Fuji, could name 50 half decent race tracks who don't have an F1 race.

Could go on for ages but 95% of TBK'ers would kill for something like that.

I would pay 100€/month for that. :excited: Unfortunately, it's fantasy, and can only happen in a video game world. Unless, of course, one of our TBK members invents a fusion-powered phone charger, becomes a trillionaire overnight and launches a new F1 vintage series as a side business. :p

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:

Indycar came out of it pretty well in the end didn't it?

Indycar survived because it had the Indy 500. without it I doubt either series would have survived.

F1 doesnt really have its own Indy 500. Yes, we all have our favorite tracks but none have the same name as the Indy 500.
Hell, even Monaco isnt safe anymore.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

funny that every new track in a shoreline was created to become the "new Monaco"

Long Beach was the "Monaco of southern California"
Valencia was the "spanish Monaco"

I wonder if Liberty is going to americanize the series further more and start dubbing some races as the "crown jewels", giving big prize money to the winners. Unfortunately they'll pick the middle east races because they would provide the prizes

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55125 Next