TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 179 80 81 82 83125 Next

Which team do you think will have the upper hand with the new regs?
Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:52 pm
Mercedes 26%  26%  [ 11 ]
Red Bull 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Ferrari 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
McLaren 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpine 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Alpha Tauri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Aston Martin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Williams 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Alfa Romeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Haas 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 42
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
micha wrote:
So only 2nd Williams seat and possibly ricciardo’s seat open

And the 2nd Haas seat. I don't think Haas are convinced (yet) that Mick has done enough to earn himself another year with the team.

Alpine team is being an absolute moron, but unless something changes next year, Piastri would have a better chance to shine in that car rather than Haas or Williams or even McLaren which is better but not as consistent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One question that pops up in my head again over all this. How far away are we from another Renault exit?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Earliest it could be (without costing them a huge amount of money) would be the end of next year, if they were to use the break clause in Concorde.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, they're on an upward stint since a couple years, are fighting for 4th in the championship, and the Alpine brand has just been really started.

"Just" losing a high potential talent doesn't put that in question, plenty of people would still love to be in that car. But yeah, someone needs to leave after this.

BTW, isn't Zhou from the Renault/Alpine program?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
Sergio wrote:
Piastri had to sign before 1aug.
Alonso you dirty fox :D

That definitely looks like a picturesque Greek island with no cell reception :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:42 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gabriel wrote:
Maybe Zak Brown only wants to see the world burn.
I'm getting the vibe that Zak Brown is the kind of man that only sleeps with married women...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I sure hope Piastri has an absolute iron clad agreement to be racing in F1 next year. I hope he hasn't overplayed his hand. How can he walk back into the Alpine garage (if he is allowed back) with a straight face? Maybe he IS Alonso's protege.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

webbsy wrote:
I sure hope Piastri has an absolute iron clad agreement to be racing in F1 next year. I hope he hasn't overplayed his hand. How can he walk back into the Alpine garage (if he is allowed back) with a straight face? Maybe he IS Alonso's protege.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Additionally, if there's an outside chance that Ricciardo's lawyers find some clause that McLaren have to race him next year, then Piastri may have royally shot himself in the foot after waiting 2 years to get a race seat...But regardless it's going to be majorly awkward for him to sit in on the Alpine team debriefs now :lol:

Last edited by Karan on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Couple of tweets from Indycar drivers on this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

lmao we're just getting started on the onslaught of memes for the rest of the summer break.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Echoing a few other posts here, I'm not sure Piastri putting all his chips on a seat that 3 other drivers have already called dibs on is a great move, and I'm a little concerned for him even if he gets the seat. I know everyone thinks Dan just suddenly forgot how to drive the past year and a half, but if Mclaren is actually designing its car to only suit its existing lead driver who has very unique handling preferences, there's no guarantee Piastri will shine there. Alpine seems like a lower-pressure situation to start an F1 career in, and it shouldn't be too difficult to put Ocon in the shade (as long as Oscar avoids any situation where he actually has to overtake him).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apart from Ferrari is Alpine the only team NOT to run a rookie in FP1? Now if you were so keen on your young hot shot, why wouldn't you have given him at least one outing? Especially if you were lining him up for some sort of a race deal next year?

That now looks like it is a no go for him. Would be hilarious if McLaren give him a run in FP1 as don't they kind of have some agreement already for a back up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:

All he had to do to avert this, is to just not add that last sentence. It's fair to publish an official disclaimer of Alpine's egregious post, but be professionnal about it, especially if you still have exactly zero achievements in a' F1 car.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:45 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I have it on good authority that the head of comms at Alpine just went for it with the announcement, and may be in the firing line now :slaphead:

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:44 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

RtN wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
So if I understand this correctly, McLaren may now have four drivers for its two F1 seats? Outstanding if true.

5. Norris and Ricciardo have contracts to drive F1 cars, Palou has a (possibly illegitimate) contract that is for either Indycar or F1, and Piastri and Herta reportedly have agreements in principle to drive F1 cars.

It's time for a McLaren satellite team then :p .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, they're on an upward stint since a couple years, are fighting for 4th in the championship, and the Alpine brand has just been really started.

"Just" losing a high potential talent doesn't put that in question, plenty of people would still love to be in that car. But yeah, someone needs to leave after this.

BTW, isn't Zhou from the Renault/Alpine program?

They aren’t exactly storming the field either. It fits in their pattern. They struggle for a few years never really attracting staff they need and then sell up just to buy things back in a few years.

Another team Andretti should be talking too imho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Juihi wrote:
I have it on good authority that the head of comms at Alpine just went for it with the announcement, and may be in the firing line now :slaphead:

That still wouldn't excuse Alpine for their shambolic handling of their driver situation though.

After thinking it through from Piastri's position, Alpine were never going to place him in the team for one, possibly two seasons. They offered Alonso one year plus the option of him performing for another. So saying Alonso performed, Piastri would be out of the Alpine drive until 2025. That would realistically mean that he would have to sign a 3 plus year deal with Alpine with the express written clause that the 2025 drive is his.

They also failed to get him on the grid for this year, while journey man Zhou gets a drive, and haven't even given him a FP1 drive. Could he afford to run around the back with Willams for two years, especially if he didn't have an iron clad deal that the 2025 or 2024 Alpine seat was his? They then apparently hadn't taken up their option with him by a specific date.

So how wanted by Alpine does he feel? They didn't want him in their car till possibly 2025 or 2024 at minimum, didn't get him on the grid this year, haven't given him any FP1 runs so far, and failed to conclude a deal before his contract cut off date. No bloody wonder he has shopped around elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Juihi wrote:

That still wouldn't excuse Alpine for their shambolic handling of their driver situation though.

After thinking it through from Piastri's position, Alpine were never going to place him in the team for one, possibly two seasons. They offered Alonso one year plus the option of him performing for another. So saying Alonso performed, Piastri would be out of the Alpine drive until 2025. That would realistically mean that he would have to sign a 3 plus year deal with Alpine with the express written clause that the 2025 drive is his.

They also failed to get him on the grid for this year, while journey man Zhou gets a drive, and haven't even given him a FP1 drive. Could he afford to run around the back with Willams for two years, especially if he didn't have an iron clad deal that the 2025 or 2024 Alpine seat was his? They then apparently hadn't taken up their option with him by a specific date.

So how wanted by Alpine does he feel? They didn't want him in their car till possibly 2025 or 2024 at minimum, didn't get him on the grid this year, haven't given him any FP1 runs so far, and failed to conclude a deal before his contract cut off date. No bloody wonder he has shopped around elsewhere.

I read yesterday that they had offered Alonso a one-year deal 'with options', which was effectively keeping the seat warm for Piastri in 24. It feels a lot like this information got 'leaked' between parties, especially as several accounts say that Alpine's option on Piastri expired on 31st July and Alonso seems to have sprung this on everybody the day after that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:45 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

This is gonna be a bigger shitshow than Button in 2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Williams has an announcement at 15:00 bst

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 179 80 81 82 83125 Next